“Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mumbai
“Excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Great rooms, great staff, excellent holiday. The location is amazing and very beautiful

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Jaipur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

It was really a amazing experience to stay with this resort. we booked this resort for 3 nights, When we enter kumarakom we started to think that we trapped here for next 3 days bcoz from which way we go there, there is nothng to see but when we enter in the gate of this resort, what a feeling come, can't describe in words. and for next 3 days we enjoy the best experience of our life of staying in a resort. all staff was very friendly and very very co-operative. specially house keeping staff was very good. really a awesome experience, who is going to kumarakom i recommend only this resort.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Had a fabulous 2 night stay in a meandering villa with access right into the quiet, beautiful pool. Room was fabulous on 2 floors with open air bathroom. Massive bed, 2 tvs, lounge etc. Food was buffet style 1000 rupees for lunch, 1250 for dinner. Good choice of food, mainly indian and lots of veggie. Labels weren't in English though so you had to guess what was in it and how spicy it was. Room service was good and cheaper if you just want one dish. Sunset cruise is free, sunset great. We had 2 hours on a backwater cruise - boat holds six but you get the whole thing for only 1500 rupees for 2 hours. This was a bargain as the cruise is great. Houseboats were all full so if you want to go in one (4 hours minimum - 1500 rupees per hour) book in advance.
Mainly north indians were there, I was certainly the only white person and so dressed carefully when not in the pool.
All staff speak English well although they did seem as little nervous speaking to a Brit. No alcohol available on 1st of each month. There isnt really a bar, but drinks are available in one of the restaurants but it isnt really comfy seating.
Overall the place has to be seen to be believed - it is so beautiful both the surrounding area and the buildings. Great attention to detail in villa. Fabulous photo opportunities. Wish we could have stayed longer. One more thing - full body massage was to die for - 2000 rupees each for an hour. Go to this hotel for luxury you couldnt afford in England!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Hi, i stayed at kumarkom for my honeymoon & i must say it was an outstanding experience. The place is so tranquille & neat. Rooms & the surrounding & the ambience is just too good. we had the swimming pool attached with our hut, the most exiciting was to have shower under the open sky covered with high walls all around offcourse :-) and the one in life time expereince was the lavish & wide b/fast, lunch & dinner menus they have. Doing fishing in the small lake running along the huts was again a b'ful experience. The evening cruises to see sun setting down in the vembanad lake will always remain fresh in my memories would love to go there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed at Kumarakom Lake Resort with my mom for four nights and we had the best time. The hotel itself is simply gorgeous. The entire property sits on a large tranquil lake, and is surrounded by lush greenery, with their unique "meandering pool" which flows throughout.
We stayed in a meandering pool villa, where we could step out of our bungalow and get right into the pool. This was really fun.
The service is fantastic; everyone who works here is so nice and helpful, always with a genuine smile on their faces.
The spa was also wonderful, with a very knowledgeable and healing staff. We got multiple ayruvedic spa treatments every day and were treated like princesses.
This place is like heaven on earth and I will definitely be back!

Ahmedabad, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Hello Friends,
I want to share my LIFE’S WORST INCIDENT that happened with me at the Kumarakom Lake Resort, (also know as KLR) Kumarakom, Kerala.

We are 6 persons in my family (4 adult & 2 kids). We went Kerala in May-2010. At the time of planning our trip, our travel agent insisted us to stay at Kumarakom Lake resort saying it is very good hotel. So we decided to stay at Kumarakom Lake Resort and booked 2 Meandering Pool Villas. We had booked the rooms more than 2 months before the travel date and had paid 100% of money in advance.

I was traveling with my parents. My father is a heart patient so I was more careful that we get rooms in such a location that he does not have to walk much. One day before our booking date I called Kumarakom Lake Resort requesting to give at least one room early and in such a location that my father does not have to walk much. The person from the Kumarakom Lake Resort said that our check in time is 2:00 pm but will give you one room by 1:30 pm and in such a way that my father has to walk less when he has to come for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We reached the Kumarakom Lake Resort at 12.30 pm. I gave my booking voucher to the person at the reception. He said that all the rooms of meandering pool villas have already been allotted to one big group. I said that I have booked 2 Meandering Pool Villas before more than 2 months and have paid 100% in advance. I also said yesterday you said that you give rooms at 2:00pm it is on 12.30 pm how can you allot rooms so early to anybody. The person said that’s right but we do not have any rooms. After so many arguments he said he would give us different category of room which had an open to sky bathroom and which was very far from the restaurant and the surrounding area was stinking like anything. I requested them that my father is a heart patient he can’t walk so much and my children are very much excited to stay in the Meandering pool villas. So please give me 2 rooms and shift the other persons to whom you have allotted the Meandering Pool Villas to these different category rooms as Meandering Pool Villas are near the restaurant and we already have booking letter for the Meandering pool villas and have paid 100% of money in advance. But they had no answer for this; they simply said we do not have rooms. I also said it would be difficult for me to find some other place at the last moment. But they did not give me any room. In the whole conversation with so many persons at Kumarakom Lake Resort not one person said sorry or was polite or ready to accept their mistake. In fact till 2.30 pm they did not allow me to meet their Front office Manager. I have traveled a lot but have not seen such ill mannered, stubborn, rude staff before and that to in a hotel like Kumarakom Lake Resort. They were so blunt that they have also gave me writing that even after booking 2 Meandering Pool villas in advance and accepting 100% of money, they do not have any Meandering Pool villa’s so they will refund me the whole amount. They did not even ask me where will you go with your father as he is a heart patient, what will you do? Do you need any help? After so much argument till 3:30 pm I had no other option but to leave the hotel. At the time of leaving the hotel I did not know where to go from there. It was so difficult for me to find a hotel and get rooms. One more thing the whole hotel was full and they were serving food on a la carte, they were not having buffet lunch.

Finally I settled in another hotel late at night. My whole day was wasted in arguing and finding a new hotel even after planning my trip in advance and paying money in advance.

If a guest cancels his booking at Kumarakom Lake Resort at the last minute they forfeit’s his 100% of advance money which they say it’s their cancellation policy. In my case Kumarakom Lake Resort does not give me my booked rooms and when I asked for refund of advance money they said they will give me after some days.
THINK TWICE BEFORE GOING TO KUMARAKOM LAKE RESORT.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Our first night was on the houseboat and we were taken care of by the staff extremely well. Food was excellent and just was relaxing going through the backwaters. After the night of peaceful sleep on the houseboat, we were brought to the resort. The room was ready after about a half hour of waiting. Rooms were large and we had the one with a private swimming pool. We just were lazy and hung out in the pools the remaining couple of nights. Food at the restaurant s were quite good and the service throughout the resort was excellent as well. Went for a massage that was part of the package and this was another experience that was quite good. To top it off, we had late checkout and were allowed to stay in the room until the transfer took us to the airport. The only downer was there was a corporate event when we were there and it was quite loud during the activities. Also we had the misfortune of having a baby next door so we heard the occasional baby crying when around the pool. Thiswas a nice and romantic way to finish off a hectic 2 week tour of Southern India.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kumarakom Lake Resort? Share your experiences!