“awesome stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 hotels in Kumarakom
Jodhpur, India
“awesome stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

amazing surroundings, beautiful gardens and overall set up. Its been a wonderful experience staying over there, if somebody would ask me the best place to go anywhere in india, this is where we should..... we stayed in private pool villa , it was lovely staying over there. Balcony outside room is great , you can just chill out and enjoy the loving mansoon rains....
Food absolutely amazing and upto the standard. Keep it up

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sanjay V, Front Office Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Indeed monsoon does make this place even more beautiful.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to having you back at Kumarakom Lake Resort.

895 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had been meaning to go to the KLR for a number of years now to see for myself if its just good PR or as stunning as its made out to be. I was not disappointed. its one of those places which has thought of everything. We booked in advance and got upgraded to the meandering pool villas. The villas were stunning. Both the open air bathroom and the villa itself leads into the pool. The kids spent most of their time in the pool - given that the pool is only 4 feet deep it was okay letting them be. We had noisy neighbours who played music really loudly but blissfully they were ticked off soon enough. It is a large property but because it is so well laid out it doesn't appear crowded although it was quite full. Ettukettu the multi-cuisine restaurant had the most elaborate buffet spread imaginable. The menu and the cooking was excellent - how they manage to have such an extensive spread and still not be repetitive is a miracle.
We stayed on the KLR houseboat for a night and it was an experience in itself. I'd heard a lot about how the backwaters aren't as magical as they're made out to be and that most boats ply in the same area so its all very crowded but my own experience was far from it. We had large expanses of emptiness on the lake - a peaceful and beautiful view of the sunset - unsuccessful but fun attempts at angling - food to die for again (an 11 course meal on a boat!) and a large deck with day beds to read and listen to music or simply vegetate.
The spa (though steeply priced) was surreal. I had a wonderfully invigorating massage and so did everyone else travelling with me.
KLR/ Kumarakom was perhaps my best holiday yet and my pictures will perhaps tell you why.

Room Tip: Meandering pool villas are great if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sanjay V, Front Office Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Ma'am,

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort !

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your indepth feedback. It is positive feedback from our guests like you who inspire us in our pursuit for service excellence.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very frankly one of the best resorts I have stayed. Me and my wife came over to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and I think we will be back at KLR very soon .... in fact we are already talking about it.

Besides the beauty of the resort, the location, the lake etc. what amazed me is the high level of service and commitment of the Staff. Being already involved with the Hospitality Industry for the past 22 years and having travelled and stayed all over the place, I must say that the Service levels at KLR are of very high standards - and could give some of the big names a run for their money !!!

Our stay at KLR was for 7 days. We stayed at the Heritage Villas for the first night but due to the open air concept of the bathroom we decided to move to the Luxury Pavilion Room. Lovely big size room and the biggest bathroom I have come across and a very comfortable Jacuzzi.

The food at KLR was excellent and I must say a good spread. We liked in particular three dishes and the Chef and F&B Team arrange a short cooking class for my wife which was indeed a great experience. Was equally surprised with the tidiness and cleanliness of the Kitchen.

We would like to thank few people at KLR for having made us so comfortable. Mr. Neelakantan Damodaran, the GM, Mr. Sanjay Varma, Front Office Manager, Sreejith S, Subin Michael, Bineesh Arvind, Johnson Joy, Ms Anitha, Ms. Vancy, Anoop from the Curio Shop and not to forget the “The Coconut man” - sorry I just cannot remember his name ... but he was always ready to serve you those lovely coconuts plus the House Keeping staff and the Chef at Thattukada.

All in all – a fantastic holiday and reason to come back again at KLR. Wishing everyone at KLR the very best and thank you once again.

Best regards,
Prakash Menon

Room Tip: We shall advise the Luxury Pavilion Rooms ... Has a very large room and the Bathroom is just amazing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Menon,

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort !

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a great time here. Massages, food, splashing in the pools, cultural shows, greenery, views of the lake and quiet - everything about this place is super satisfying. Staff is very polite and courteous.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sanjay V, Front Office Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time and your words of encouragement.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I headed right here for our honeymoon after a very hectic wedding and must say, this place really helped us unwind. The location is great and it is a very well maintained resort. The staff is great and very helpful. They were ever ready to help us and attend to all our queries and requests. The ambience was absolutely relaxing and pleasant.
Coming to the food, very impressive. Probably the best food I have ever had. They have great variety. The house boat was another great experience. The staff was very well trained.
One of the managers, Mr. Sreejith, took very good care that we were provided with whatever we needed. He also made lunch arrangements for us the day we were leaving, even though it wasn't included. Felt absolutely pampered by the end of the stay. Have been recommending this place to everyone since the day we returned. Should be on everybody's must visit places. Kerala truly is God's own country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanjay V, Front Office Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest ,

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort.

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. It is positive feedback from our guests like you who inspire us in our pursuit for service excellence.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This is definitely one of the best resorts we have ever stayed in . The views , the ambiance the whole place is awesome. They have great grounds and the kids loved the pool that goes around the villas , though it can have some insects as it is the open.

• Stayed June 2013
Sanjay V, Front Office Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. We are pleased to to note that your family had a good time here

We would like to assure you that we do put in our best efforts to keep a control on the insect .

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Good
Kumarakom Lake Resort is a nice, low-key place in a gorgeous setting. We stayed in the Presidential Suite, which offered a private infinity pool, lots of privacy, and tons of room space.
It was truly wonderful to hang out on our patio and swim while watching the languid beauty of the lake. The sunsets from the room were spectacular.
Staff were friendly and the food was really excellent.
This was our penultimate stay during a really busy three-week vacation in India, and it was an outstanding way to decompress and reflect back on all we had seen in this remarkable country.

The Bad
OK, not necessarily bad, but less-than-great. The rooms all have outdoor toilet/shower combos which at first are kind of fun. But when you have to use it in the middle of the night, you will notice all kinds of things scurrying about as you open the door. Also, because the region is so humid, I found the arrangement to be less-than-pleasant after the first day.

The Stinky
When we were shown to our gorgeous suite, we noticed an ugly smell in the bedroom. I assumed that someone with body odor had just been in (perhaps a service person), so I ignored it. But it didn't go away, and so just before dinner I notified the front desk and asked if someone could come take care of it. When we returned from dinner, the smell was still horrendous. The front desk manager that evening was not helpful at all, and I finally had to go to him in person and demand that something be done. Unfortunately, the response, after much coaxing on my part, was to spray some room freshener, which fixed the problem for about 10 minutes. We ended up having a bad night's sleep due to the ongoing stench.
I spoke with the manager the following day, then went out for a walk in the town, and when I returned, the head of housekeeping as well as another manager, along with about 5 workers, were in the room cleaning. They were extremely apologetic, acknowledged that there was indeed a terrible smell, and they did manage to fix it. Once they left, the smell was gone. I don't know what they found (and don't really want to know!), but it was a relief. This episode did put a damper on what would have been a really great stay, and if they had fixed the problem the day before, when I first complained, I would have been a happier customer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. Please allow me to apologize for the deficiency in services. It is feedback from our guests like you who highlight the areas where we need to improve, that helps us to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and delightful stay with us, every time.

Your feedback regarding the bad smell in the room and the response of the staff was taken up with the concerned departmental heads , the staff and documented. Please be assured that the feedback given by you had being looked into.

Been to Kumarakom Lake Resort? Share your experiences!