We drove there from Cochin and then Thekkady as part of a private tour arranged by the hotel. Our driver James was excellent and very informative and what a driver !
At the resort there is an air of calm and tranquility which has a strong resemblance to Balinese architecture. It is a spacious resort, quiet and very relaxing. The meandering pool villas are gorgeous especially if you can get one near the lake. From there butterflies hovered overhead, otters were bobbing up and down in the lake, birds and wildlife were in abundance. The pool was irresistible so we went spent much of the time in it. The houseboat trip run by the hotel is well worthwhile, it is an exclusive trip per couple or family, you are waited on on all the time and meals prepared on board, the bedroom mirrored the one on land, with airconditioning and fan, TV and DVD. The cruise take you across the lake and you moor for the night on the shore edge so you can take a little walk. We had a narrow escape as a huge coconut fell to the ground just by us making an enormous bang, and thankfully we had just returned to the boat. We are told coconuts kill more people around the Indian Ocean than any sharks ! The water in the lake (2nd largest lake in India) is apparently quite pure, it is only about 12ft deep and flows constantly. During the monsoon season completely refreshes and cleans itself but we didnt risk a swim in it.
Service at the resort in the restaurants was occasionally a little hit and miss and often you had to ask several times for things but everyone was so polite and helpful you couldnt get cross ! One waiter Johnny needs a special mention. Food was good, but not gourmet, there was plenty of choice. The Ayurvedic Spa was sensational, the doctor there very helpful and I took some remedies home for my grandchildren's endless colds and coughs. Our internet connection was very hit and miss, and the power seemed to surge on and off frequently, but you got used to it.
Definitely worth a stay if you are in Southern India.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Splendia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelClick and Odigeo so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala