“Large, spacious comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Riviera Hotel & Resort
Near Post Office, Kumarakom 686563, India   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Mumbai
“Large, spacious comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The rooms are large with separate living / dining area. Both living and dining area are airconditioned. The rooms were clean. Remember to keep the windows closed in the evening to avoid musquitoes. We did not enjoy the breakfast as it was not to our taste. The service was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ludhiana, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The place as it is nice well kept and clean. Rooms are well maintained, there are facilities for the guests to idle their time. Staff is courteous. One observation is that the water body infront of Hotel entrance has not been kept clean.There is lot of growth inwater and dirty empty plastic bottles floating. this was pointed out to the Manager. Food is alright and the chef attends to your requirement

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

After an hectic schedule i planned a trip to kumarakom initially i wanted to stay 1 day in kumarakom and 1 day in houseboat so my agent me an option 1 night in royal riveria and 1 night in housboat but eventually i told my agent to just confirm 1 night in royal riveria and houseboat i didnt want to take a chance so i thought after going to kumarakom i will personally book the houseboat , so on 22nd jan checked into royal riveria , immediately upon checkin we were given warm welcome the staff were very courtous , my kids enjoyed a lot in their private lake and even the rooms were excellent , after my first day went on very well i decided to stay for the second day. And the resort staff arranged a shikara ride which we really enjoyed . So i told the general manager of the resort i will be back after 3 months such was the enjoyement we got with the food , the room sevice was great and now i have recommended my other friends to stay in this wonderful resort . So guys i promise u can enjoy there .the other important facor is the general manager of the resort is very co-operative .

Room Tip: Suite room and deluxe rooms are very good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the royal riviera and had a great time. It had been a very long time since I had taken a vacation and that too just with my wife. After a very busy last 8-10 months, we were looking for a place where we could just relax and spend great time together. Luckily, we made the right choice and came to .royal riviera Its a large property, which has been beautifully mantained and has a small number of guest room. A great place to just relax, read a book, go to the pool, the ayurveda spa or have a nice meal at the restaurant. All in all a very refreshing and great experience. . Great place to go in God's own country - Kerala.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Honestly i am saying before this trip we did not expect much.. we hoped same as other place , but our expectation was wrong. really we enjoyed too much. what we expect that all we got from royal rivera in a right way. good service, homely atmosphiere, good communications, good food,everything was excelent.. next time also me and my friends give to first prefrence to royal rivera.. thank you very much .. special congrats to G.M. Mr. Vinod.

See u agian,
saju zach,
Dubai

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well sure enough this hotel has a regal enough name and when you enter the premises of the hotel, through the very imposing well guarded gate and its facade, you get the impression that you are in a for a good experience. But that’s where it ends! Everything after that was the beginning of a nightmarish experience. If you have a sense of humour, all I would say is that my experience was similar to a C grade horror film!
I was supposed to stay for 2 nights in the hotel. After a long and tiring journey back from Thekkady to Kumarkom, I reached the hotel at around 9.40 at night. Most hotels/resort are away from main Kumarkom district centre, however this place didn’t even have any location markers in the highway. Finally after crossing the hotel and travelling backwards for another 1 km, I managed to locate it. While checking in I was told that the restaurant would close at 10 p.m. and there would be no room service available after that! So I ordered for some food. Then another bolt from the blue! The hotel doesn’t have even have hot water except for 2 hours in the morning. Imagine a so called 3 star resort that doesn’t even have basic facilities. I requested for some hot water to be arranged as I was very tired and wanted to have a bath but the receptionist straight away refused stating the hotel doesn’t entertain such “special” requests. Finally after much pleading for more than half an hour and complaining to my travel agent, he agreed.
But this was only the beginning of things to come. I was shown in to a so called deluxe room that had worn out cushion covers, stained bedsheet and barest furniture. I do not know how much my travel agent agreed for the tariff in a package, but even considering that it was peak tourist season, the price of INR 5,500 exclusive of taxes per night was absolutely overpriced considering the room facilities and features. I had just settled in when I discovered that the quilt had hair and dust all over in the bedside table! I complained to the receptionist and he agreed to change the room. However even in the new room, insects had somehow managed to creep in because the balcony door was “accidently” left open!!! The next had a dirty wash basin and the next two rooms were in the same condition. Finally after looking through some 5 rooms, I resigned myself to fate and decided on a room. This time the AC in the room was not working! A technician was called in and finally at somewhere around 11.30, I was inside a room. But as luck would have it, there were creepy crawlies again. I called in at the reception to ask for help, but there was nobody on duty!
Finally I slept and when I woke up in the morning, I was itching all over with red rashes and swelling. I realised I had been bitten by bed bugs .My perfect vacation till now had gone horribly wrong!!!
I had to take meds so I needed breakfast. Well the breakfast was a huge disappointment as well with basic south Indian fare, oily puris and few slices of bread.
I had made up my mind that I just couldn’t stay for another night. After much frantic calls I asked my travel agent to change my hotel at any cost.
The hotel management had probably realised it. The hotel manager somehow came to see me in the room and apologised for the previous night, even offering me an upgrade. I didn’t budge and checked out.
The whole point is the HOTEL DID NOT HAVE AN IOTA OF MAINTENENCE AND HOUSEKEEPING WAS NON-EXISTANT!
I do not know how people have given such great reviews about pleasant stays in the hotel but a frugal traveller like me who has stayed in much better hotels in lesser prices; this was no less than a nightmare!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Pune, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in double delux room. Room was nice and clean with two rooms and modern AC's. Room had small balconies. Food was tasty - ordered from room service. Good breakfast. Staff was also nice. Bad thing is it is not near to bird sanctury or place where you can get boat ride.

Room Tip: Negotiate on boat ride prices. I paid 1200 for two hours for personal boat (my driver had commission...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Riviera Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!