“Stay at Backwater Heritage Homestay, Kumarakom” 4 of 5 stars

Backwater Heritage Homestay
Pulikuttissery, Kumarakom 686015, India   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Gurgaon
“Stay at Backwater Heritage Homestay, Kumarakom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Backwater Heritage Homestay is a small but beautiful resort in the interior of a Kerala village in Kumarakom. I had visited Kerala in Aug-12 and on my way to Allepey from Munnar I had planned an overnight stay at this resort. Initially I thought I made a mistake as it takes a while reaching to the resort since its in the interior of a village in Kumarakom however when we reached there and spent some time, the experience was very good. The whole place is surrounded by Coconut Trees and you could feel cool breeze, sound of birds chirping around that place and small river flowing by the side of the homestay. Although the main Cottage was constructed long back and has all the furniture, one new cottage has been built recently which needed renovation. The place is owned by Mr Xavier Thomas and his wife and who are also the care takers. They are quite warm and hospitable people who takes good care of their guests. Mrs Thomas is a great cook and offers very delicious home cooked food to their guests at a nominal price. Although we didn't rent a houseboat at Kumarakom, Mr Xavier has good contacts and can also arrange a houseboat or a Shikara incase you want to take a boat ride in Kumarakom Backwaters. Mr Thomas also owns a canoe (small boat) that is parked right there and he personally takes the pleasure in providing a ride in the Canoe to his guests. Although there is not much that you could do over there since its a village however I would recommend this place to anyone who is keen to experience an authetic Kerala village scene and want to spend some time in peace in the lap of nature.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Incase you are planning to spend a budget night or want to explore more about lives of native Keralites, I can recommend this place.
Though it is bit distant from the main town, Mr Joseph would easily guide any Autorickshaw/cab driver or even at times he'll bargain for you.
Best part of this homestay is the personalised approach taken by both Mr and Mrs Joseph. Mrs Joseph took time to explain us about Kerala spices/pickles. Food was real home food. At the same time Mr Joseph was helpful in arranging local cab/canoe. Though I didn't feel very great about local canoe but he is not to be blamed for this.
Also rooms could be improved but considering the price point it comes at, I wouldn't mind revisiting it.

Room Tip: I didn't find any difference.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here with my wife Joanne for two days at the beginning of October as part of our two week tour of Kerala. Whilst on the tour we stayed at two first class hotels, the Aanavilassam at Kumily and the Taj in Kovalam. In both cases we had the best rooms in both hotels and were blown away by the quality of the experience.

The Backwater Heritage Homestay by contrast was modestly priced and understated. However, the location was stunning with the accommodation being directly on the water. Whilst there Xavier, the host, organised a three hour boat tour through the backwaters with the boat collecting us at 8 am on the dot directly outside of our garden. The tour was one of the most memorable I have had the privilege to enjoy. Just me, my wife and the lovely chap guiding the boat. On leaving the smaller backwaters we came across the juggernauts that are the Kerala Houseboats.
These struck me as having little character with the houseboat experience being akin to being on an articulated lorry on the M62 !!

Later that day we went on a small punted canoe for an hour exploring tiny canals. The boat was piloted by Vassu, Xavier's longstanding helper. It was delightful !

Our stay at this place was comfortable although basic. Everything was clean and we had the delights of Mrs Joseph's cooking three times a day. Lovely food presented in a relaxed setting.

Finally, let me add a note about Xavier. He is charm personified. His main focus was to help his guests in whatever way possible. Without going into too much detail, on one occasion he organised our drinking supplies ( Kingfisher Blue !!) at an awkward time.

Xavier, your efforts were much appreciated and you and Mrs Joseph made this stay the highlight of my trip to Kerala !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I actually found this place through Tripadvisor, and decided on it based on the good reviews it had received. I can tell you that it lived up to every expectation and more.

Mr Joseph and his wife are great hosts, and go out of their way to make you as comfortable as possible. Mrs Joseph is an ace cook, and the Syrian Christian dishes she whips up are superb - real home-style stuff, and as much as you can eat.

The property is set away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world, and is an old ancestral home that's been converted into a home stay. The rooms are simple, spotlessly clean and comfortable, the garden is a lovely place to sit and have a coffee in and the river flowing right past the house is fantastic as well.

I had the good fortune of having the entire place to myself during my stay, and the misfortune of falling violently ill as well (it had nothing to do with the place or the food, I hasten to add). Mr Joseph could not possibly have been more helpful - he took me to the local hospital and stayed with me right through the few hours that I spent there seeing a doctor and being attended to.

I have no hesitation in highly recommending this place to anyone planning a trip to Kumarakom!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Lovely no-frills cottage with abundant grounds, greens, canals, mango trees, banana trees, coconut groves, fish pond. In Aymanam village, 20 minutes drive from Kumarakom. Excellent home cooked meals and the family's rare breed of hospitality makes this a very special place. As the other reviewers have noted, Xavier Kutty can organize everything for you - cruise, massage, excursions - and even drives you to most places himself . But don't come here with the intention to ' do' things. Just sit still, enjoy the tranquility, watch the butterflies, paint, write poetry. A true gem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent one night in this homestay, last week end with my parents. It is a quiet and peacefull place, in the middle of the Backwaters. The family is very welcoming, and cheerful. Food was great. The owner took us to the 50 meters boat of the village. It's been a great experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I spent one night here while en route to Kumily and could have happily spent longer. Great hospitality, excellent food and clean, comfortable rooms. Xavier can organise anything you want in terms of backwater excursions. I only had time for a short canoe ride but it was most enjoyable. I may well return again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Backwater Heritage Homestay? Share your experiences!