“lovely low budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Selcukhan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ataturk Cad No 42, Beldibi 07985, Turkey   |
Ranked #8 of 56 Hotels in Beldibi
Manchester, United Kingdom
“lovely low budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just got back from a ten day stay here and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised! We didn't pay much for our stay and after reading mixed reviews I was a little worried. The hotel looks very basic however was nice inside. We arrived late after midnight and check in was very quick and the members of staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was basic but clean and exactly what we needed. The food was lovely and more than enough to go around. If you are fussy in what you eat then maybe this isn't the hotel for you simply because there is a lot of foreign food. We didn't have a issue with this because it was nice and we could have the occasional plate of chips ha. All the staff were lovely and polite and made our stay so much more pleasant. The rooms were cleaned everyday with frequent towel and bed sheet change over. I hate dirty hotels but this was nice. The pool was nice and no fights over sunloungers which was a 1st! The beach is pebbly but its not terrible, Don't let the fish in the sea bite your feet it will hurt as I found out! Beldibi is a very quiet village but filled with nice trinket shops overall a nice walk but I would recommend going over to member, olympos or even antalya. We are rock climbers so we rented a car to get round which was fun (the roads are still abit hectic). We was a little disappointed that all the trips were either for German or Russian guests but with plenty of trip advisers in the town you'll find someone for English guests. We had a day at the spa downstairs which doesn't look much but the service was good and the massages were amazing.
Overall very please with the hotel and would definately stay again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a upgrade before you go
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

October 2012
Arrived at 3:00 am. The guy on reception was friendly and competent and I was assigned a room and was settled in within 1/2 hour.
In the morning checked my room and which I found to be clean adequate to my needs. Sun on the balcony after 12 noon. Bed linen and towels changed everyday.
The hotel was a wee bit tired looking but it was clean.
I found the staff to be helpful and friendly however some of them did not have good English but my mixture of German and Scottish seemed to work. Amazing how a smile can help with communication.
The food was a bit repetitive with salads, chicken and turkey but adequate. Went to the A la Carte restaurant but it was just the same food but served at your table.
Beldibi is a small quiet village with basically nothing going on and looks like life has passed it by. But as I was there for a quiet holiday in the sun it suited my needs and wants.
If you are looking for a lively holiday with lots to do in the evening this is not the place for you.
Similarly there are better situated resorts for visiting the sites of Turkey.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Beverley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

There were positives and negatives about my holiday at the Selcukhan Hotel Kemer Antalya.
The biggest mistake I made was booking through -lowcostholidays.com. The holiday price came out ok but I realised when I arrived I had no holiday rep i.e. no one to assist with problems. The first problem was the transfer to the hotel from the Airport which I booked through lowcostholidays.com. The driver was driving at 70-80 mph on a wet road which scared me to death. It was a mini-bus and I was in the front seat with him.
I had booked the holiday as a solo traveller and had read a Trip Advisor feedback letter from a Russian Girl who got put in a duff room. Well I also got put in the duff room at the Selcukhan and it was the worst Hotel room I have been in ever. A generator was going constantly directly outside the room and never stopped. There was no Refridgerator, no Television, a view of a plain brick wall, no balcony, the décor and cleanliness were sub-standard. I must also point out I had not had a drink since leaving the airport in the UK at 4.30 pm and was not given anything to eat or drink on my arrival even though I had booked fully inclusive through lowcostholidays.com - I had to wait until 7.30 the next morning for a drink of water.
Anyway I had got the room at 1am and at 5am I went back to reception and demanded a better room. I was informed if I stayed in the duff room until 10am I would get one of the newer model rooms. I was very pleased to get the new room even though the fridge did not work and there was nothing in it anyway even if it had. The rest of my week was very pleasant. The Hotel staff were friendly although most spoke only very broken English. There were lots of Russians in the Hotel and the entire area is almost like living in Russia with the shops and people. I must say the Russians were not a problem to me they seemed private and peaceful and their kids were better behaved than any English kids I have encountered – probably because they were not spoilt.
The room was cleaned daily and I left a 1 Lira tip on the bed each day. The food was decent and plentiful but not the choice or quality of the Cyprus Hotels I have visited – but to be fair this was probably only 3 star. The food seemed to be aimed at the Russian people and the only time I saw chips they were cold and mixed with other food. There was no bacon or baked beans ever and no plain English type dinners. All in all the food scored 6 out of 10 for me when compared to each of my last three holidays i.e. one in Turkey and two in Cyprus which scored 10, 10, & 9.
The week went ok I fancied an excursion trip but they were only written in Russian and with not having a tour operator I was on my own. The return Airport Shuttle was a nightmare because he never arrived at the set time of 8pm and after 8.30 I was concerned about missing my flight. At 9pm I wanted to pay for a taxi but the Hotel Manager insisted the shuttle was on the way. It finally arrived at 9.15pm - I was panicking because it had taken 1.5 hours coming to the Hotel and my flight left at 11.15. Any way by luck there was no one to pick up so the driver got me there with 45 mins to spare although the baggage queue was getting near the end. The driver was on his mobile the full journey while shouting and weaving through traffic. If I had gone through Thompsons I would have had none of the bad experiences listed above. My advice is; go through a proper tour Company and forget trying to save a few pounds. If I had missed my flight it would have cost me a lot of money.

Room Tip: Go through a tour operator like Thompsons - if you go through lowcostholidays.com the Hotel will try...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
staffordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is the first time I have written a review but I felt I had to write about this hotel to stop anyone being as disappointed as we were. I had read the previous reviews and they were mixed, but we didn't let the bad reviews put us off as we know peoples tastes differ and also what they expect from their holiday is different to others, and at the time we read the reviews there were many good ones and the overall rating on trip adviser at that time was 4 out of 5 which i always use as a decent recommendation.

How wrong we were......Arrived here early on Sunday 23 Sept after a 5 hr delay on Manchester, so we were very tired. We were very disappointed on arrival in the reception area, it was dismal and terribly old fashioned, with mismatching old chairs, old style wooden cladding on ceiling and on some of the walls. Also dusty old rugs on the floors. It was not what I imagined of what was portrayed as a 4 star hotel on the site we booked with, although on other sites it is stated as a 3 star. In my own opinion it would scrape through as a 2 star. But we put this first impression down to being over tired and thought things would look better after a good sleep.... It didn't!

On booking in at reception we were told that our rooms were not ready, this was at 7.30ish in the morning, bearing in mind that we should have arrived at the hotel about 2am. We were a party of 2 couples, the gentleman behind reception was very nice and spoke good english, he apologised and explained that he wanted to put us in the newly renovated part of hotel and that was why our room was not ready, he said he could put us in the old part straight away if that was what we wanted, on looking at the surrounding reception area I thought it a good idea to wait for the newer room!! So he said whilst we were waiting we could go in for breakfast which was just about ready.

We went to the restaurant for breakfast, oh dear, it did not look too appetising. A chef was outside doing eggy bread, i tried this as i couldn,t see anything else i fancied, it was disgusting. There were other things inside like salad, meats, cheese etc. if that is your thing, there were 3 cereals, some fresh(ish) fruit, (we think this had been frozen sometimes, as the melon was sometimes really mushy as if it had been frozen from the day before) hard boiled eggs and a choice of bread or bread rolls, the bread was the nicest thing on the menu at any time but you would have to eat it without any butter as that was not good. On other mornings there was croissants and other types of pastry items. Also omelettes. My husband asked for omelette sometimes if the chef was doing eggy bread and he reluctantly did this for him. We also had the croissants sometimes, if they were still there.

After a very meagre breakfast we went back to reception to get our rooms, our room was ready but our friends room was not, they had to go to the pool for a while and eventually got their room at about 10.30am. The rooms were very basic, they had been painted but not very well, with streaks and missed bits all over the wall but i have been in worse but also a lot better. The shower was ok, if a bit small and everything looked clean on the surface. The bed had a bottom sheet and a type of small cotton blanket to cover you up with, these were changed about every 2 to 3 days but most had stains on them and had seen better days. The towels were also changed about the same unless you left them in a pile on the bathroom floor and then they usually changed them for you. The tv had one english channel which was world news, we dont watch tv in the day, but i do put it on at night sometimes. The carpet in the room was never vacuumed until one night i found nail clippings on my bed! they were not mine or my husbands! I called reception and told them and said i wanted someone to vacuum the room. The maid came and looked at me blankly when i pointed to the floor, i pointed to the bits of nail on the floor, she hoovered these but left the rest of the room not done!

Going back to meals, the other meals were much the same although there was always a good selection of salads, the meat dishes were always lukewarm and unidentifiable most of the time. they sometimes bbq meat outside, which on occasion was quite nice, a lot of the time the chef was outside, but when we lifted the lid on the dishes it was just a type of bread, couldn't understand the big show of a chef cooking outside to do bread. I was hoping for some typically turkish food like meat kebabs and the pide that they do with toppings like pizza which is delicious but nothing like this was done.. The food appeared to cater for the many russians that holiday in this hotel as they certainly filled their plates up high, (we couldn't get over the amount of food wasted, why do they not just get a little and go back if they want more). Apart from that we had no trouble with the russians apart from them being a bit dour as has been said in a previous review.

The pool looked clean and the bar outside was nice although at night the queueing was sometimes bad as only one member of staff was on. The drinks the first night were fine but after that they appeared to be watered down, on many occasions we had to get 2 straight vodka's to add to a soft drink and it was still not right. The beach bar across the road was lovely, but here also drinks appeared to be watered down sometimes. The beach is mostly pebble as previously described in other reviews but the water is lovely and clear and was quite warm when we were there late september after having all the sun of the summer, temperatures were still high and the weather was fab. The area is a bit run down and there is nothing to do here, no other bars or restaurants to visit if you want a change from the hotel. There was one across the road but we never saw any one in it and nothing was written in english. Like people have said before take american dollars to this area as it is catered purely for the russians and that is what they use.

You need to get your act together Selcukhan if you want to attract business from other nationalities apart from Russia!

We met some lovely people here though, i hope you are feeling better Ms Kelper after your fall over the rugs, (they shoud get rid of these and the reception area would look better immediately in my opinion, apart from them being a health and safety issue) give our regards to terry.

We went to Antalya for an efternoon out but the bus driver did not speak any english and we got taken way off course! luckily a belgian couple heard us talking about wanting to visit the old town and came to our rescue. They took us back on a tram and guided us to the place we should have been. Thank you for that guys. Although it was too late to see much by this time, my husband and i went back another day and it it is well worth a visit, lovely old town with winding streets with shops leding down to a pretty harbour with lovely restaurants and bars.

I honestly don't know where some of the previous reviewers have been, I have been to a 4 star hotel in turkey just outside Marmaris on a late booking and it was beyond comparison, also had late booking to hotel in tunisia last year which was 4 star and it was fabulous. I know its the luck of the draw and you get what you pay for but I still expect a place to be what it says it is. If I was looking for a 2 star and paying for a 2 star then I would have been satisfied but this was advertised as 4/3 depending on who you book with, so I was expecting a bit more.

Room Tip: opposite side to hotel pool overlooking next door hotel and pool is quieter.
Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just got back from our holiday at Selcukhan hotel, very disappointed. Firstly we arrived to a very a poor welcome as we were greeted by a grumpy receptionist who obviously more interested in something else than checking us in. The food was terrible as you could see that the evening meal from the night before had been turned into the next days lunch. Staff at the hotel were rude apart from the bar manager who was the only one that seemed to have a smile on his face. There was a lack of food hygiene as waiters would pick up food from the buffet with their hands, eat half of a bit of pizza and then chuck it back. If you were allergic to dill I would strongly advise for you to go to another hotel!! This hotel aims their custom at Russians and Germans - the staff did not even attempt to speak English and seemed very rude towards the english visitors. The beach is not white sand with crystal clear waters- it is a rocky, small, and not very clean- yes we saw floating poo!!! The street was not lined with bars and restaurants but with tacky shops and unfriendly locals. So if you are thinking of going to Turkey please go to another part as this is quite clearly the wrong bit!!

Room Tip: Get a tent and set it up on the mountain behind as you will have a much nicer view and more air cond...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went to the Selcukhan on the 20th Sept. have been to Turkey about 6 times, my companion nver.. I told him it was a wonderful place, lovely hotels, I like to go different areas, never been here before..So sorry Selcukhan, you havn"t got it quite right..My companion was bitterly disappointed. I"ve just read the report underneath my report, and I have to say, I agree with all that was said, I never meet these people, wish we had, because it seems we were there at the same time, we thought we were the only Brits there!!!! The Al-A-Carte wasn"t mentioned in this detailed report.. Please don"t bother, it was dreadful, lovely setting, but oh dear, the food was awful, nothing Turkish, a grilled fish, soup, which was always nice, one cold huge chip, yes cold, as in fridge cold. half tomato, horrible lardie cake, no Turkish dips etc. you could always get into this restaurant, no charge,, Think they do like the Brits, but there is so many more lovely places in Turkey, I was hopeing to see the "real Turkey" this wasn"t it, Sorry Selcukhan, Won"t be back.

Room Tip: Room facing the pool, quiet after midnight, then beautiful to sit on Balcony, but if you like to be...
Tyne & Wear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

To begin, let me assure you that I am a genuine reviewer, & have no reason for telling untruths. My husband & I had 10 nights here starting the 24th. Sept. We are not the typical Brit that just wants an all Briitish food/drinks/& English speaking hotel, we enjoy meeting people from other parts of the world, & eat various foods, so my review is our own take on things as we saw them. First of all, we only look for 4* when looking at holidays in Turkey as we know their ratings are not the same as some other parts of the world, & this is most definately NOT 4*, I would give it at most, a very generous 3. There was no written info in the rooms about meal times etc. we were told this when we arrived, & had to remember it all. There was however a list in the lift, but normally, hotels have lots of different information about the hotel & surrounding areas in the bedrooms, but not here. There was no questionaire to fill in at the end of your stay either, I wonder why?
UPSIDE FIRST:- The room was satisfactory, once again not a 4, but as it's just for sleeping in most of the time, it wasn't a problem & the balcony was fine as was the bathroom which had a shower stall instead of a bath, which suited us better. The public rooms were ok, they could have been updated a bit, but this didn't bother us. The pool was nice, clean & refreshing, unlike one reviewer, we saw the pool being cleaned & the water was checked every morning. The food was edible, but more about that in the next section, & there'll be more about the entertainment as well, but they did have a Turkish night with the usual dancing, which was very good, another night there was a duo doing there stuff which was entertaining & allowed holidaymakers to get up & dance. There was also a belly dancer one night, but I can't comment as that was the night we went to see a show. That was the totality of the entertainment. We had a very helpful member of reception staff on our second last day, who rang the transfer company for us. Sorry I didn't get his name, but he was exceptionally nice, his English was very good, but that was the only time we saw him during our stay. Thank you to him.
DOWNSIDE:-
The bedroom: Bedding had a lot to be desired. The beds were supplied with bottom sheets, which alhough they had been washed, were stained in places. There were no top sheets until 2 days before we left, we just had a very small top cover, which wasn't big enough for the bed, & wasn't very comfortable, when we did eventually get top sheets, they were full of holes, & the ironing had a lot to be desired.
**The bathroom: We were initially supplied with a small pack each of cotton buds, wet wipes & shower caps, but when these were finished they were not replenished, once again, not what you would expect from a 4*, there were dispensers for soap at the sink & shower gel in the shower, but no shampoo or conditioner sachets, so be aware of this if you do take a chance on visiting here. For the ladies, there is a hairdryer, but if you're like me, you'll be unable to use it, as it only has one temperature, one speed, & you have to keep the button held down with your thumb throughout the drying process, hence, quite unsuccessful.
**Reception areas: As mentioned, these could do with a little tlc, but my biggest complaint was the large, threadbare carpets they insisted on using throughout the public areas. These have a definate health & safety issue. Others told me they had tripped on them, but early hours one morning as we came back from seeing a show, (& I might add, without consuming any alcohol at all that night), I got my toe caught on said mat, & fell very heavily, hurting myself quite badly to the point of being in pain for the next few days. I know we should have reported it to the night receptionist there & then, but I was so shaken up, I just wanted to go to bed. The next morning we went to reception to tell them about it, & there was only one really young girl on, who's English was very poor, bless her. We tried to explain & showed her the state of the carpet. She was full of apologies & assured us she would report it "to the office" as she put it, but never took our name or room no. so no one actually followed it up. I know we should have pursued it, but the trouble with us is, we're too polite for our own good, & we just let it drop, but NOTHNG was done to solve the problem, & they were still as bad when we left. So "beware".
**The Bar /entertainment: There is only one bar area at this hotel & that is situated outside without any cover, so when it rained, there was nowhere to go to have drink, less than suitable for an A.I. Most nights there was only one young barman on to serve, he worked like a trojan horse, but the queues were right along the length of the bar sometimes, as someone said, this can be overcome by getting more than one drink at a time, but with beer, which is what my husband drinks, it just gets too warm. There should have been at least two serving, but that is how this hotel is cutting it's costs. "Entertainment"!! Well that was practically non-exsistent except for those which I have already mentioned. Our first 2 nights there, they had the usual childrens disco, but after that there was nothing, day or night for the little ones, that I admit didn't affect us, but I felt sorry for them. The "Animation Team" & I use that term very loosely, when we did see them the first 2 nights, they did absolutely nothing, except chat up the girls, & the female, strutted around like she owned the place, never once speaking to us. I have to add, that does not bother me personally, but they were supposed to be there to keep holidaymakers entertained. After seeing them for 2 nights, (during which time they never did anything that was on the animation board through the day or night), they disappeared, never to be seen again. I know there had been some controvesy, but I don't know the details, so am not going to comment. After that, all there was on in the evening was music via a laptop, I love many different types of music, but this wasn't the best, and as someone already said, far TOO LOUD!! You couldn't hear each other speak. I maybe a senior reviewer, but there's life in the old dog yet, & I like a good time, especially when on holiday, this was a great downer.
**The restaurant: This was like a big noisy canteen, but I have to admit, that is sometimes, (but not always) the case in A.I. hotels. There were tables out on the terrace, but in the evening you had to be very quick, & lucky to find one. One of the problems was, all the tables were for at least 4 people, they could have improved the situation with adding some tables for two as nobody wanted to go to a table where there was room, & sit with total strangers, who couldn't converse because of language barriers on both sides. The food, as I said, as edible, & sometimes quite tasty, but at breakfast they only had omelettes once in our 10 night stay, fried eggs three times & "eggie bread" twice. I am not bothered about the bacon & sausage brigade, but I have never been to an A.I. before where they didn't have a short order chef doing a variety of things. There was only one yoghurt which was the natural kind, along with "dried raisins/bananas/apricots", & sometimes you could find some fresh gala melon. There were the usual cheeses, breads, salads, (one morning even...chips!!!) There was some sort of gruel which I never saw anyone eat, but the receptacle was always nearly empty, & boiled eggs, which were solid. Of course there was a toaster, but the "butter" tasted like lard, I only had it once. There were also 3 cereals, that is if you could find bowls to put it in, & spoons to eat it with, & that was the same at lunchtime & evening. I waited more than once for bowls & spoons for the soup, it seems there was a huge shortage of these items. One day I waited 10 minutes for the bowls, then another 5 for a spoon. People were actually putting their soup into tea cups!! Never seen that before. The choice of meat dishes was very scarce, & always lukewarm. I am not a fussy eater, & will try anything, but sometimes it was a joke, & although we never starved, things could have been so much better, a little imagination would have come in useful. There was of course the usual salads etc., but the sweets were very repetitive nothing greatly exciting, but there was always fruit as well, so that helped. Someone said that they were replenishing the hot meals as they were used up, but this was not always the case. I saw empty receptacles more than once, & if you dared to go for a meal at about 8.30, you'd be unlucky, there was even less choice, & by about 8.45, they were closing down as much as they could by putting some of the lights out. When it states mealtimes are from 7.30 to 9, that's what it should be in my opinion.
PLUS:- We didn't pay a fortune for this holiday, & I guess, as they say, you get what you pay for, but if we had paid full price, the problems I noted would have still been there & they need to address these, & also drop their star rating.There is nothing to do outside the hotel, just shops selling all the same items, there didn't appear to be anywhere to go & have a drink if you so wished, & although we didn't look properly, there didn't seem to be any nice restaurants either. The beach is pebbles, as it appears to be all along this side of Antalya, but the area is very picturesque with the mountains forming a backdrop.
FINALLY:-I am not sure where the rumour started that they love the Brits, apart from a few of the staff, we didn't come across this at all, & I always do my best to try & speak a few words in Turkish as I feel it is only good manners & in the past, the people have always been pleased at this, & tried to teach me new words, but this time, apart from one or two, I struggled to get any reaction at all. The hotel, (& this area as a whole), is predominantly Russian, & although, apart from the odd incident, I didn't find them too bad, but they are very dour, many times I would smile & say good morning etc. & their reaction was zilch, no smile, it was as if they looked straight through you. Although we were very disappointed with the hotel after reading some of the reviews, (not sure where some of these people have been), but we did enjoy the sunshine & the break made better by meeting some lovely people who helped make it less boring. Thank you very much for your company you lovely Stoke Folk!!

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the hotel next doors pool & we had no problems with this.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Selcukhan Hotel? Share your experiences!