“Country place with city access” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ca Gioiosa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteveglio
Ca Gioiosa
You added Ca Gioiosa to your Saves list
Via Marzatore 36, 40050 Monteveglio, Valsamoggia, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Monteveglio B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Country place with city access”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I needn't repeat all the positive comments about Fiona. She is extremely knowledgable and couldn't be more helpful. She and Andrew are outgoing and very pleasant company. The house is well-designed with three en suite bedrooms and a small kitchen and living area. Since we stayed later in the season than most guests we weren't able to use the outdoor areas as much as we would have liked. It would have added to the pleasure of the place, as the house is located above a beautiful valley. There are lots of deer in the area, which are fun to spot. We visited Bologna, Ferrara, Parma, Ravenna, and Modena by car without any difficulty. Because there are so many great restaurants nearby, we only cooked dinner in the house once. It's easy to find great ingredients in the area, so cooking at home isn't difficult. We stayed with another couple, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I highly recommend Ca Gioiostra for friends, families, or a romantic stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent well over a year planning a 2 week trip to Italy and the absolute best decision I made was to stay at Ca Gioiosa!

Our accommodations far exceeded my expectations in every way. The rooms were beautifully decorated, impeccably clean, and very comfortable. We all settled in right away and felt at home almost instantly. We prepared meals in the modest kitchen but almost always ate outside on the beautiful brick courtyard next to the house. In fact, aside from sleeping, almost all of our time was spent outside. We made use of the pool to cool off in, ate many dinners on the porch, made pizza in the wood burning oven, strolled around the vineyards, and had a great time playing table tennis. The beauty of the house and surroundings just drew us outside all the time, and it was where we could interact with Fiona. Enjoying an espresso on the porch with the early morning sun and chirping birds was one of my favorite parts of the trip and one that I look forward to repeating when I return next year.

I planned a variety of activities and did a lot of research on my own before my trip, some of which turned out to be good but certainly not all. In contrast, every bit of advice from Fiona was excellent, I am so grateful for her guidance on tours, interesting destinations, and food suggestions. Fiona arranged for a cooking class to be held right in her own kitchen, for most of us it was the single best part of the whole trip! We spent hours learning how to make traditional tortellini and Bolognese sauce, it was delicious and so much fun to prepare.

I anticipated a great vacation but what I didn’t know was that I would be making new friends. Fiona is a dear person, lovely, genuine, and fun, I’m grateful to know her. Likewise, we got to know her partner and son on our visit and found them both delightful. I hope I am fortunate enough to enjoying their company again in the future.

Finally, I must acknowledge that Fiona is my hero. Within 15 minutes of receiving my rental car at the airport it caught on fire and ultimately burned down to the metal frame. After frantic calls to the fire department I phoned Fiona to let her know we were going to be a little late arriving. However, I forgot to leave my new cell phone number in my voice mail message. Upon retrieving my message and unable to reach me she drove all the way to the airport and was actually there when I arrived seeking a new car. I was a little stressed-out, to say the least, but she was incredibly helpful in dealing with the car company, as well as making follow-up calls, and helping to guide me. I am forever grateful to her for going beyond what I expected and for being a source of calm and support when I needed it most. The rough start was quickly put behind us and the rest of the trip was everything I dreamed it would be!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We found the perfect villa to rent, Ca Gioiosa, in the beautiful quiet countryside near the villages of Monteveglio and Bazzano, within easy reach of Bologna in the heart of Emilia-Romagna. With 3 large bedrooms, each with modern en suite, the villa accommodates a family or group of friends comfortably. During our stay we enjoyed fruit freshly picked from the orchard, cooling off in the immaculately clean pool and relaxing in the many outdoor areas with rural views. Seeing a red deer and other wildlife stroll through the gardens was definitely a highlight. Within close proximity we tried a range of wonderful restaurants and coffee houses however it was dining at the Agriturismo Ca Lunati, just a short drive away at the “top of the world” that will remain forever in our memories for the outstanding food, service, wines and views. The friendly advice, information and generous help so freely given by Ca Gioiosa hosts, Fiona and Andrew made us feel like part of the family. The friends we travelled with stayed at Ca Gioiosa 6 years ago and they, like us, would love to return again to this wonderful place “Ca Gioiosa” with its charming hostess, Fiona and idyllic setting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Fabulous setting - lovely house and accommodation with wonderful views, no noise apart from nature and within easy reach of all the major attractions (Venice, Bologna, Verona etc). The website is true to its pictures and words - a truly special place. But the best bit is its unique hosts - Fiona and Andrew are generous to a fault. Warm, friendly, full of seriously helpful advice and knowledge, they will look after you with sensitive charm. Great value for money, I would highly recommend this location without reservation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Ca'Gioiosa is a beautiful place that I would highly recommend. I was in the same group that Luke W. mentioned below and he couldn't have said it any better. So as not to be too repetitive I will keep my review short. The accommodations are comfortable and homey, the rooms adorably decorated, and the hospitality is unparalleled. Fiona, her partner Andrew, and her family welcomed us warmly. Fiona especially went above and beyond to show us the true culture and spirit of the region. She helped us discover the sites, events, towns, etc. that we really wanted to see in Emilia-Romagna and at the same time created a safe and entertaining home base at Ca Gioiosa. This guesthouse and this region are all so wonderful, once again, I highly recommend a visit here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Staying at Ca Gioiosa was an extremely special experience. The house retains the serendipity that parallels the surrounding environment of hillsides covered in vineyards and forests. We traveled as a group of 6 students and one professor, and we could not have found a more suitable environment. Fiona runs this place with perfection. It is incredibly well kept, with a beautiful garden, a pool, outdoor seating for dining and relaxing with patio lights. The inside of the house is comfortable and clean and extremely homely. It felt like home immediately, from the physical space and also because of the way Fiona welcomed us so thoughtfully and openly.
Fiona was also exceptionally helpful with finding activities and places for us to go, as tourists and as students. She went above and beyond her duties by a long shot. This is hands down one of the most beautiful places I have stayed (and I've been a lot of places) as well as the most fabulous hostess i have ever had (and I have stayed in quite a few B&Bs/Inns/Guesthouses).
An incredible experience all around, very much due to Fiona, her partner Andrew and their wonderful home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed with Fiona for 10 days in May. She runs this place with the help of her partner Andrew in a very special way. She is extremely friendly and helpful, ready with advice on where to eat, where to visit, how to find the supermarket, the cheapest petrol etc. She even makes all the reservations and on one occasion driving us to a restaurant where we were meeting friends!
Andrew and Fiona are genuinely lovely, kind people, happy to chat and share a drink or a meal but will quietly keep out of your way if this is more your style.
The apartment which is the upper floor of Fiona's house is clean and very well equipped. The bedrooms are spacious and all ensuite. The living and dining room space is quite small if the house was full and you were spending all your time in doors but since this is unlikely to be the case it doesn't really present a problem. The house is high on a hill looking across the valley in a quietly beautiful, peaceful setting. It is a wonderful place to sit chill and relax listening to the cuckoos, watching the deer, but it is also close to many interesting sights and towns.
10 days really wasn't enough to take full advantage of all that the amazing Fiona and Ca Gioiosa had to offer - so I think we will need to go back again very soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteveglio
Locanda Del Feudo
IL Castellazzo
IL Castellazzo
#5 of 11 in Monteveglio
4.5 of 5 stars 22 reviews

Been to Ca Gioiosa? Share your experiences!