“Fabulous food with beautiful view over Lake Annecy” 4 of 5 stars

Auberge de Letraz
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Route d'Albertville, 74320 Sevrier, France   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Sevrier
Winchester
“Fabulous food with beautiful view over Lake Annecy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friend and I had been snowshoeing nearby and stayed overnight here on a thursday. They had a very reasonable bed and breakfast rate and we stayed in a superior forest view room. This means you overlook the forested slopes in the distance. The room was large but dark with a big bathroom with shower above. We had the window open at night and the road is busy. The beds were fine. The highlight is the restaurant! We had drinks in the bar-a very nice glass of cremant each which we were served with delicious canapés-the lightest cheese straw. We chose the 40 euro menu although there was a more expensive truffle menu. The chef's strengths are his puddings-oh wow my friend had a tangerine soup with little chocolate balls and a homemade sorbet. We had a delicious starter of scrambled eggs with truffle. There were another 2 choices including snails. My friend had duck as a main. I had beautiful scallop but it was spoilt by being wrapped in heavy fatty local bacon rather than a pancetta. After pudding we were then served simply delicious petit fours. I don't think I am doing justice as I was a bit disappointed by the scallop but this is very superior food. The monthly supper club were eating the same evening. Sensibly they did not arrive until 9pm when we and the other tables were well underway.
I thought breakfast would be basic but how wrong I was-freshly squeezed orange juice, delicious coffee, and a buffet of yoghurts,fresh fruit salad, cold meats ,cheeses, croissants, pain au chocolate, bread and the most simply delicious brown bread stuffed with nuts, raisins and apricots- oh wow thank goodnesss we were walking on le Semnoz later. After breakfast we had an idyllic stroll by the beautiful lake in front of the hotel-there is a path that follows the water edge. The hotel has a very old beautiful boathouse. The staff were very friendly and efficient and I want to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Beautiful place to enjoy the lake of Annecy without the caous of Annecy, Lake front (but lake front rooms are expensive) sunbathing on the freen grass and freshing up in the pool by the very busy bike route. Breakfast on the patio and one dinner in the gourmet Restaurant, definitly on the expensive side but good quality. Street front rooms (defined by the property as "forest front") not too noisy large and pleasant. Everything slighly overstated and above the lines, but in general a very pleasant stay if you are not overly careful about the budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Situated on Lake Annecy in Sevrier 10 minutes by car from Annecy.
Quiet spot overlooking lake Annecy.
We choose it because we wanted a quiet surrounding.You have to have a car in order to go to the old town of Annecy.
We had a spacious room with balcony overlooking the lake,but the last day we had to change room and this room was very small. we can hardly move.
if you go ask for a big room also make sure that the room is overlooking the lake.
Lovely garden with swimming pool.Beautiful view to the lake and mountains.
excellent restaurant.we had dinner ther and it was good.the breakfast a bit pricy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We came across this hotel by accident and were not disappointed. We got a last minute room over looking the road and did not expect much but to our surprise we had a lovely suite with a huge bedroom, sitting room and beautiful bathroom. The bed was comfortable and appointments luxurious. After 4 days in a tiny hotel in Paris we were thrilled. The location on Lake Annecy says it all. There is a swimming pool and beautiful garden overlooking the lake where you can relax, take in the view and enjoy the sunshine. We did not eat in the hotel, it looked very expensive and as we had been travelling all day we found a little cafe along the street where we could relax without having to dress up. We would stay again and get to enjoy more time in it beautiful location.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lake for the magnificent view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We found this restaurant by chance on our trip in France this summer. We stayed on Lake Annecy for 9 nights. The food was incredible, and I have to say we didn't eat this well or was served as well as we were at the Letraz in our other stops in France. The 39 euro menu is very nice, and as we ate lunch there 4 times (in 9 days) I can say I have eaten every offer on that 39 euro menu. The duck terrine served with fig jam was one of my favourites, the fish was always very fresh, and for dessert, the "intense chocolate". Chocolate mousse with nughat, covered in dark chocolate. Mmmm! Not too sweet or bitter, just right. It was fantastic. As a chocolate lover I don't say that often but this dessert stays with me. I had it 3 times out of the 4.
The service was impeccable. After the first visit, our server remembered which wine we liked, we never had an empty glass, and we always felt very welcomed. The view from the terrace is one of the best views we had of the lake.
This isn't a restaurant in which you rush, most of our lunches there were 2 hour affairs but they were a highlight of the day, The prices I found to be on par with the better restaurants in France, if anything the menu at 39 euros was a bit on the low side in comparison.
For a true dining experience this is a real treat. I wil be back. I think I may stay in the hotel just so I can eat in this restaurant again on my way down south next year. Hats off to the chef.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

It was a last minute reservation that we made to dine here on a Sunday lunch time. I guess we should have been suspicious that all other restaurants we tried around Lake Annecy were fully booked up, whilst this one had plenty of tables available.
I have to say that the view from the terrace is absolutely spectacular... but unfortunately the meal we had did not match the view.
First complaint: Filthy napkin - to which the response of the waiter was that it must be the melon which stained it. No apology. Well either stop serving melon or use a washing powder that removes melon stains!
Second complaint: Glass of champgne was barely cold.
Third complaint: We ordered "A la Carte", but the portions seemed very small. Cant imagine that the set menu portions could be smaller. (Must admit however that the food was of reasonable quality).
Fourth complaint: Ashtray was left unattended throughout the meal, accumulating cigarette ends and ash.
Fifth complaint: The bill!!! We were 4. We each had a glass of champagne, one course and dessert. Plus a bottle of rosé wine and a bottle of water. The bill: nearly 300 Euros! Unbelievably exorbitant. There must be far better alternatives for dining on the shores of Lake Annecy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on our way around France on a road trip for 4 nights, mainly due to it's location to Annecy nearby, it's situation along the Annecy Lake and for it's ease of parking.

We arrived at Auberge de Letraz around check-in time and there was definitely ample free parking available which was a good start. It was also very easy to find once you had found your way through Annecy which is extremely busy. The only downfall was it's location along a very busy road which was a bit of a nightmare to get out of on some occasions.

We were greeted by a very stern woman who didn't make us feel very welcome. Staff service was very hit and miss actually, sometimes you would be greeted by very friendly staff, I can note one woman on reception with blond hair and a gentleman who served us at dinner and breakfast who always had a smile for us but most of the time the staff looked very miserable, especially a young waitress and a young chap who didn't even bother attempting French to us, let alone English. It gave us an initial impression of feeling in the way and it didn't make our stay feel special.

The lobby is very nice and our room was spacious. We booked a room over-looking the lake with a balcony and we were not disappointed, however the decor was very dated. In fact the whole hotel seemed to be stuck in some kind of 80's poncy posh existence. The dinner was a very bizarre affair and a little uncomfortable. Lucikly we had the nice chap actually serving us but the rest of the staff would stand there and watch you eat with their arms folded! There were only a few couples dining the one night we dined at the hotel and everyone was whispering. The food was served under silver lids which were lifted in front of you and although the menu's were varied and the food very delicious, it was a nightmare for me to choose something that was suitable for pregnancy as I am pregnant at the moment. We have to admit we were glad to leave the restaurant and head back to our room. We didn't dine there again. It was also extremely expensive. I think the chef had won an award about 20 years ago and was still playing on that fact with his decor stuck in the same time warp!

The room was clean and comfortable though. The bathroom was very nice, very spacious and had everything you needed. It also looked more modern than the room itself which was nice. There is a mini bar in the room but choice was limited, no snacks either. There didn't seemed to be any safe but there was a walk in wardrobe that you could lock. The beds were comfy and very spacious and we did sleep well. The hotel is also very quiet which was good. The views I think speak for themselves. A stunning view over Lake Annecy with the mountains beyond. It was nice to sit and relax on the balcony, with an icecream from the garage over the road, watching the boats go by and the cyclists.

Annecy itself is very busy and I have to admit I was a little disappointed by this. The old town is very beautiful and very quaint but getting in and out of Annecy, with parking in underground multi-stories, was very tiring. What was the highlight of our trip was actually driving around the lake and visiting a place called Talloires on the East side of the lake. In fact we had wished we had booked a hotel here as the old town was lovely, so quiet and peaceful and we spent a while just sat by the lake watching the world go by in the glorious sunshine that day. There was also a lovely restaurant by the lake there that served some amazing food at great prices.

Breakfast was good but I never seemed to get my hot chocolate which I would ask for when asked what I would like to drink. My partner always got his coffee though. It became a bit of a joke! I even spoke French!! The food was very good, a good choice of yoghurts, cheeses, hams etc I would say though if you want more variation get up early as such things as the fruit salad disappear very quickly!

All in all I don't think I would recommend this hotel though to friends or family purely because its just so expensive for what it is. Its a shame because if this hotel was brought up to date by about 20 years it could be really good, they have the culinary reputation for it. I would recommend booking a hotel on the East side of the lake, its quieter and much more quaint. The hotel is in good proximity of Annecy though and road links.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge de Letraz? Share your experiences!