“A very good lowcost getaway.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pampatar
Laguna Mar
Save Saved
You added Laguna Mar to your Saves list
Sector Apostadero, Pampatar, Margarita Island, Venezuela   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Pampatar
Trinidad
“A very good lowcost getaway.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I chose Lagunamar since most Trinidadians go here. I heard about the many pools on the compound, the lagoon and of course the beach.

This hotel exceeded my expectations...then again I went with an open mind. The pools are cleaned every morning and there are lifeguards on duty to prevent any swimming accidents. The hotel itself is clean and cleaners can be seen throughout the day tidying the facility.

The food was tasty and on my trip there was quite a varity to choose from. My only issue was that the food needs to be labelled properly. I do not eat beef but to my horror, the lentil soup that I had just devoured (it was very tasty) contained beef (I discovered this after fishing out a huge piece....steups).

The hotel only offers basic drinks as part of its all inclusive package. This means you can only get the Venezuelan versions of alcohol and not the premium drinks like Bailey's , Alize etc....these you can request but you will have to pay. Ironically coconut trees abound but there is no coconut water on the drinks menu.

The beach is simple....then again I am from Trinidad where our beaches are crummy anyways...but I enjoyed the beach. Its a high energy coastline so the water is very rough....so you have to be very careful especially with the kids. On the beach there is another bar and a grill restaurant.

I have two issues with the hotel though...the rooms are very simple and needs to be upgraded. A coat of paint, a lightbulb and a painting will do wonders. The rooms have no personality at all. The A/C is way too cold and when you turn up the heat, it gets too hot and condensation forms on the wall and floors.

The water in the bath smells funny...actually it smells like raw sewage. The toilets in the ground floor level smell absolutely horrendous....you have been warned!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was abit run down when i went a couple years ago. There was a problem with my bathroom. Most of the staff that do maintenance don't speak English. The food was good. Lots to choose from. The trip was great apart from the first day where we had to wait 6 hrs for our rooms to be ready. The performers during the night was friendly. The night activities were nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher level rooms. They are newer.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
PORT OF SPAIN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

laguna mar was very nice I enjoyed it to the max with my mom , four aunts , my sister , my niece , cousin and my daughter had lots of fun loved the ambience the friendly staff , clean rooms, and tasty food and off course not forgetting the waiters smiles all the way. Phil tours played a important part as well they were available to carry us on shopping and island tours which was great

I told myself before I leave laguna mar I will definitely return

BUT hmmmm after spending fourteen hours (14) yes 14 hours of waiting on our flight I am wondering if and when I will be able to face that again

ESTELAIR was delayed our flight suppose to be at 3:25 pm we didn't leave until 1:50am
so that's a no no for me

especially when u have a four year old child with u and further u cant go out back when the check u in and in there is only one restaurant was selling fries, burgers . there was also a lengthy checking in because guards not using scanners to check true suit case they doing it manually

well they did promised us dinner but by time we get it was 10:30 pm we couldn't wait that long so went to restaurant for fries which cost 10 of us 60.00usd

so my fellow friends please don't be informed your stay at LAGUNA MAR will be fun, fun , fun

but be prepared when u reach airport. shopping nice but air port experience to exit country is a big thumbs down for me

Room Tip: choose rooms on north side was less noise and chipchipi restaurant has way better servers and food
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and i upgraded our standard room to a junior suite..anyonewho says that this place is any good has no idea what they are talking about. Our showers leaked, fixtures were old and rusted, the tubs leaked, toilet seats were cracked and broken, the bidet was not attached to the floor. You cant turn off the ac as your room becomes awash with condensation and then pools on the floor making everything slippery. The entire room smelt of stale urine, the carpets were musty and dirty. The food was bland and not fresh. There was a giant hole in the plaster in the wall which got bigger everytime we open or shut the door. We tried the italian restaurant and had to return the appetizer as it was frozen in the middle. There is no music throughout the "resort" and the pools close at 5pm sharp..as in water stops flowing on the waterslide at 5pm.even if youre mid slide..the compound is ok...just ok gives you somewhere to spend time away from the dank dismal urine smelling room that had hair everywhere...
The staff barely speaks english..luckily hubby and i are bilingual...didnt help us too much though as when we booked 2 massages they reserved only 1 spot leaving husband without a spa experience..
The worst of the experiences came on the last day when while using the toilet at 6am..someone upstairs us flushed theirs at the same time..i ended up with a stream of toilet water dripping down my back..to make it worse, i jumped into the shower to wash my neighbours pee off me only to receive ice cold water in the pipe. That same day husband found a long blonde hair which was wrapping up a crushed bug floating in his soup.
Never again....be warned....do not visit this place

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a little misunderstanding with the room we booked when we arrived but after fixed, everything was delightful. The new room was very nice and comfy, The food was really good, the beach very nice and clean and the shows very elaborate and entertaining. We took a tour around Margarita and we had a blast. Had so much fun! (Jeep Safari Tours - ask for them in the travel agency in the south tower)

It is very familiar and there is a ton of kids but they have their own attractions.

We are a gay couple, so seems there is not concern about it and we were treated with respect and courtesy.

In resume: We will come back and recommend to everybody else!

Room Tip: North Tower is the less noisy, far from the main pool and the show stage.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked an All-inclusive package from April 4-7, 2013, but honestly, it should’ve been a day or two longer. Even though our flight was delayed for about 2 hours, and we checked in at the Hotel around 5:30 p.m. and of course we missed lunch and other meals at the other restaurants (Salvatore and Cazon closes at 5:00 p.m.), the beauty of the Hotel (we stayed at the South Tower) and its surrounding and the excellent service eventually started to take it all away.
The Food:
The buffet Restaurant Topaz (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner) had a wide assortment of dishes for each meal that I must say were very delicious. For breakfast (opens around 7:30 a.m. til 10:30 a.m.) the usual fare of omelettes, scrambled eggs, arepas, sausages, various cold cuts, oatmeal, various breads, croissants was served along with special dishes such as croquettes, tuna, pink eggs, stuffed tomatoes with cheese, shredded sweet chilli chicken on certain days.
Lunch was served around 11:00 p.m. til 2:00 p.m. I think, and Dinner from 6:30 p.m. til around 9:30 p.m. Lunch and dinner had similar meals, with specialties in between. The fish pie, hen soup, fried cassava, seafood in sweet chilli sauce, different types of salads, grilled fish and a type of sweet glazed chicken which tasted like maple syrup or some sort of chocolate was extremely delicious. Wish I knew the name and how to make it. Some of the dishes were not labelled though. The deserts were good too, but not much variety over the days. The chefs had different themes for dinner, such as Venezuelan night etc.
The Snack Bar Salvatore opens from 11:00 a.m. til 5:00 p.m. and serves burgers, hot dogs, fries and pizzas. The pizzas were tasty and of different types over the days. We went twice for lunch here, when we wanted some variety.
The other snack bar, Cazon, by the beach, served grilled foods, as well as simple sides. On the one day that we ventured to the beach, the menu included grilled chicken, grilled fish, sausages, hamburgers, veggies and salads. The grilled chicken and fish were outstanding. And what more could you want, great food with an amazing view.
Because of the length of time we stayed, only one restaurant was available to us for reservations, the Italian restaurant Carusso. A wide choice is available for starters and entrees. For starters we had Seafood tartlet and Mozzarella sticks. For the main course which came in quick succession, we had the pork tenderloin with veggies and the chicken breast with pasta and lasagne. I must say that everything was so delicious, except for the chicken breast which was huge portion but too dry. Perhaps instead the chefs could prepare it by making two filets. And for dessert we had chocolate cake and ice cream.
The Bars usually opens at around 11:00 a.m. The Lobby bar closes around 1:30 a.m., the swim up bar closes at 10:00 p.m. after the nightly entertainment and the bar at the buffet restaurant closes at 11:00 p.m. The house specialties, which were cocktails were all impressive, especially, the Malibu cocktail and Flamingo. The whiskies, vodka and rum are not premium, which I expected, and so I didn’t have them.
I want to say at this point that the service at all restaurants and bars were impeccable, as well as the service by the maids, reception, and the porters. I urge you to tip generously, because I understand that they don’t work for much at all.
The Hotel Rooms are well-kept, clean and spacious. The air-conditioned is set at very cold and so the beds itself are cold which is a bit uncomfortable. At one point when I took off the Unit, the floors started to accumulate moisture.
I counted four swimming pools including a children’s pool, and a wave pool, which I think wasn’t in operation at the time. We didn’t get the chance to indulge in Aqualand and the Disco, but I’m sure it would be fun. Probably, next time though. The Beach looked similar to what we have here in Trinidad, most notably Mayaro on the South East coast. There were jellyfish in the water and we didn’t want to take the chance to bathe.
All in all, we had an amazing time. And I’m eager to return sometime soon, hopefully for a longer period.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Augustine, null, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I travel there with a group of friends totaling 14 of us. Before coming to this hotel I read some of the reviews which gave me and my wife second minds but we eventually went of the trip. Getting there was kind of tedious as the flight was delayed. The hotel is like 45 minutes or a little less from the airport. After arriving at the hotel it was very refreshing because they staff made us felt very welcome. The food at the restaurants are really fantastic except for the Mexican food which I did not enjoyed. The soups are really superb as it reminds me of a good trini soup. Juices are freshly squeeze and the yogurt drink was just a must.

The price is not bad at all for the trip as it being all inclusive. The full body spa treatment my wife took was classify as heavenly because the price was just about 535Bs equivalent to 30USD which was definitely not bad.
As for shopping stay away from the flee market as it is not really safe there but you can go down to the Boulevard where you get some good bargains.
People who are not giving a good review of this hotel something is definitely with them wrong for paying so little money and want to get so much out of the place. Oh yea the only thing that was a turn off was the carpet outside the room which smells a bit off but after you just get accustom to it because of the moisture of the place causing the carpet to smell like that. Rooms are huge and beds are very comfortable..We are going back as a plus with other family members.

Room Tip: You can always ask for a room that over looks the sea but for me any room was find because my room o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!