“Left an impression.....want to return!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pampatar
Laguna Mar
You added Laguna Mar to your Saves list
Sector Apostadero, Pampatar, Margarita Island, Venezuela   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Pampatar
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Left an impression.....want to return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked an All-inclusive package from April 4-7, 2013, but honestly, it should’ve been a day or two longer. Even though our flight was delayed for about 2 hours, and we checked in at the Hotel around 5:30 p.m. and of course we missed lunch and other meals at the other restaurants (Salvatore and Cazon closes at 5:00 p.m.), the beauty of the Hotel (we stayed at the South Tower) and its surrounding and the excellent service eventually started to take it all away.
The Food:
The buffet Restaurant Topaz (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner) had a wide assortment of dishes for each meal that I must say were very delicious. For breakfast (opens around 7:30 a.m. til 10:30 a.m.) the usual fare of omelettes, scrambled eggs, arepas, sausages, various cold cuts, oatmeal, various breads, croissants was served along with special dishes such as croquettes, tuna, pink eggs, stuffed tomatoes with cheese, shredded sweet chilli chicken on certain days.
Lunch was served around 11:00 p.m. til 2:00 p.m. I think, and Dinner from 6:30 p.m. til around 9:30 p.m. Lunch and dinner had similar meals, with specialties in between. The fish pie, hen soup, fried cassava, seafood in sweet chilli sauce, different types of salads, grilled fish and a type of sweet glazed chicken which tasted like maple syrup or some sort of chocolate was extremely delicious. Wish I knew the name and how to make it. Some of the dishes were not labelled though. The deserts were good too, but not much variety over the days. The chefs had different themes for dinner, such as Venezuelan night etc.
The Snack Bar Salvatore opens from 11:00 a.m. til 5:00 p.m. and serves burgers, hot dogs, fries and pizzas. The pizzas were tasty and of different types over the days. We went twice for lunch here, when we wanted some variety.
The other snack bar, Cazon, by the beach, served grilled foods, as well as simple sides. On the one day that we ventured to the beach, the menu included grilled chicken, grilled fish, sausages, hamburgers, veggies and salads. The grilled chicken and fish were outstanding. And what more could you want, great food with an amazing view.
Because of the length of time we stayed, only one restaurant was available to us for reservations, the Italian restaurant Carusso. A wide choice is available for starters and entrees. For starters we had Seafood tartlet and Mozzarella sticks. For the main course which came in quick succession, we had the pork tenderloin with veggies and the chicken breast with pasta and lasagne. I must say that everything was so delicious, except for the chicken breast which was huge portion but too dry. Perhaps instead the chefs could prepare it by making two filets. And for dessert we had chocolate cake and ice cream.
The Bars usually opens at around 11:00 a.m. The Lobby bar closes around 1:30 a.m., the swim up bar closes at 10:00 p.m. after the nightly entertainment and the bar at the buffet restaurant closes at 11:00 p.m. The house specialties, which were cocktails were all impressive, especially, the Malibu cocktail and Flamingo. The whiskies, vodka and rum are not premium, which I expected, and so I didn’t have them.
I want to say at this point that the service at all restaurants and bars were impeccable, as well as the service by the maids, reception, and the porters. I urge you to tip generously, because I understand that they don’t work for much at all.
The Hotel Rooms are well-kept, clean and spacious. The air-conditioned is set at very cold and so the beds itself are cold which is a bit uncomfortable. At one point when I took off the Unit, the floors started to accumulate moisture.
I counted four swimming pools including a children’s pool, and a wave pool, which I think wasn’t in operation at the time. We didn’t get the chance to indulge in Aqualand and the Disco, but I’m sure it would be fun. Probably, next time though. The Beach looked similar to what we have here in Trinidad, most notably Mayaro on the South East coast. There were jellyfish in the water and we didn’t want to take the chance to bathe.
All in all, we had an amazing time. And I’m eager to return sometime soon, hopefully for a longer period.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
St. Augustine, null, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I travel there with a group of friends totaling 14 of us. Before coming to this hotel I read some of the reviews which gave me and my wife second minds but we eventually went of the trip. Getting there was kind of tedious as the flight was delayed. The hotel is like 45 minutes or a little less from the airport. After arriving at the hotel it was very refreshing because they staff made us felt very welcome. The food at the restaurants are really fantastic except for the Mexican food which I did not enjoyed. The soups are really superb as it reminds me of a good trini soup. Juices are freshly squeeze and the yogurt drink was just a must.

The price is not bad at all for the trip as it being all inclusive. The full body spa treatment my wife took was classify as heavenly because the price was just about 535Bs equivalent to 30USD which was definitely not bad.
As for shopping stay away from the flee market as it is not really safe there but you can go down to the Boulevard where you get some good bargains.
People who are not giving a good review of this hotel something is definitely with them wrong for paying so little money and want to get so much out of the place. Oh yea the only thing that was a turn off was the carpet outside the room which smells a bit off but after you just get accustom to it because of the moisture of the place causing the carpet to smell like that. Rooms are huge and beds are very comfortable..We are going back as a plus with other family members.

Room Tip: You can always ask for a room that over looks the sea but for me any room was find because my room o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My group consisting of 14 persons had a lovely time at this resort. The hotel is about 25 - 30 minutes from the airport. There is never a dull moment at the resort you are always occupied.The food is good except for the Mexican restaurant (you need an acquired taste). Service at the hotel was good even though they spoke little english so sharpen up your spanish vocabulary. It should be noted that the laguage barrier is not much of a problem. If you want to shop go to the boulevard or 4 de mayo. Stay away from the flea market. Book your getaway vacation with PHIL TOURS.We will definitely be returning to LA GUNA MAR and for a longer period. It was great always remember other people's experience will not necessarily be yours do not believe everything you read, experience it yourself. Definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask to be located in torre south, and ask for a beach view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Pierreville, Mayaro, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Contrary to what most people say, the hotel is in good condition. The food is generally good and there is quite a wide range of options at the various restaurants. The rooms were big and very clean and comfortable. The pools weren't always the cleanest but it was never overcrowded. The jacuzzis were lovely. The only disadvantage is that the pool and jacuzzis open at 10 and close at 6 since many people would prefer to use these when the sun is out. The service was generally good in the hotel. The service at the restaurants was outstanding. I totally enjoyed this experience and I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, feel free to request another and the staff would be happy to he...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. This hotel is far from the airport and everything else. When we first checked in we got a room in the first floor when we got in the room everything looked old, the tile was wet and cold, and there was underwear on top of the shower curtain. After that I went to the lobby to complain and then we got a room on the fourth floor which was 100x better; cleaner, newer and even had a balcony. The beach has a really strong current which I couldn't even swim in let alone my 16 month old. I have no idea why the beach has black sand along with white sand. The food is not great nor disgusting, just okay. We paid for the all inclusive package which includes alcohol, but because the mourning period for chavez was extended, the hotel couldn't serve alcohol throughout our entire stay, but the money which we had paid for alcohol was "non-refundable." Essentially, the hotel got to keep the money that we paid for alcohol even though they didn't provide any. Even though I'm from another country don't understand why alcohol is banned at tourist locations, I understand that it's not the hotel's fault that the laws are the way they are. What I don't understand is why I'm still required to pay for a service that isn't being provided. The service desk downstairs told us about a "wonderful" trip to the island de coche. Where they give you breakfast, lunch, take you on a beautiful ride, pick you up and drop you off. It was 650 bol. Per person and was awful! The port is a ways away from the hotel, there are beautiful boats and the one from the trip was seriously the worst looking boat at the port. They gave us bread for our "breakfast" the lunch was good. We had to swim through the water (kids, babies, bags, elderly, etc.) to get to shore. I am writing this as a compliant for the hotel because they had recommended this "awesome" trip which wasn't so at all. We made a complaint about the trip and they couldn't do anything for us except go on another trip and pay half price! There are a lot of shopping plazas and malls with great prices but everything is far from this hotel. The day before the trip to the island de coche I saw a trip that was to the same island with everything included that was offered in the mall that cost 400 Bol. I was thinking about changing it but i had already paid and the hotel recommended the one. The restaurants have odd hours that aren't posted anywhere to our knowledge. Several times we've walked out to the restaurants at lunch or dinner time to find that they weren't open. The only thing we loved was the kids pool. It was excellent. I am just happy to say we are going to Caracas tomorrow and far away from this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We (husband, 2 kids aged 12 &11, and myself) stayed at Laguna Mar Feb 13-20 2013. We travelled through Nolitours and stayed in the renovated North tower. We had no complaints at all with the hotel room, it was perfect, even the view of the mountains and roads were just fine with us. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The grounds are huge. It was about a 5-7 minute walk to the beach and we did sometimes use the truck shuttle but we didn't mind walking and enjoying the views. We have travelled to quite a few Carribean countries and one of us has always gotten diarrhea, this time NOT one of us got any type of stomach issue, which was great! The food was okay. No one starved and there were lots of choices but it was just okay. The food is geared to the South Americans who travel to this island. It was all South American food. There was pasta, rice, chicken, beef, fish etc and except for the pasta, everything basically was South American geared. We aren't picky eaters. I have eaten food that was still swimming in my soup when we were in Korea! We ate many lunches at the pizza/burger joint and it was GREAT food there. They also made panini style sandwiches there, fries, home made pizza, and ice cream.
We did a fair amount of research before picking Margarita Island. We didn't realize that it was the island that the Columbians, Chileans, Argentinians etc tour. Unfortunately the "common curtesy" that we Canadians are used to does not apply here. We spoke to other Canadians in our tour and they were having the same issues and observations. The bar tenders, food servers, and bus people all served, and cleared their fellow South Americans first. The people would bud in light, start speaking their order to the bar tender even though it should have been your turn. You could be following the line on the buffet and just as you're about to reach for the spoon to get some food, someone else would just take it and serve themselves. Nope, no common courtesy here.
The restaurant Chipi Chipi (pronounced Cheapy Cheapy) was not good. Food okay but the atmosphere and service with tables was horrible. You could have put a ball pit in there like in McDonald's and it would have been no different. The noise level was tremendously loud, kids running around the tables, busy as heck, no orderly fashion to clear and set tables, just a poorly managed restaurant. Again no manners are taught to these kids who just run around tables, bang into you, bang into your table, the parents do the same when running after their little ones. Oh and no "sorry" happened.
We changed restaurants and ate at the South tower restaurant. Much better, much cleaner, much better service, more food, and the servers and bus people were very pleasant. We made reservations and ate at the Mexican restaurant. Great food there. Service didn't have much organization but they tried hard to make it work and that alone counts for something.
They have very basic alcohol at the bars. Beer, rum, vodka (which they ran out of for 4 days), lots of tequila, gin and coladas. One of the other travellers in our tour had to put in a special request order to have diet pop brought in because she was a diabetic, apparently they don't carry diet pop.
We took the "Life's Beach Safari Tour" day tour of the island. WELL WORTH IT!! It was an amazing day. Toured the island, had a great beach grill lunch, and was just perfect.
As with most Carribean countries, you can't flush toilet paper down the toilet (you could in your hotel room), and if you do tour the island, you sometimes had to scoop a bucket of water and flush your toilet with that. Meh, it wasn't that bad!

Our kids weren't impressed with the slides as they were far too slow, the wave pool is no longer in service, and the beach had very rough waves. Our kids are very good swimmers and the flags were always yellow and red at the beach. They actually have very well trained lifeguards on the beach which was nice to see.
We would not return here again to this island. We spoke to many locals, and even our tour guide for Nolitours said that the island does just fine with the South American tourists that they don't really seem to be inclined to make it more inviting to the "gringos".
Enough said then!

Room Tip: the top floor of the North tower has been completely renovated. Further from the beach but nicer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Lagunamar from Jan 30 to Feb 6 with my family of 6.
Let me just start off by saying that I love to travel, anywhere, any time and I'm really not a picky person, whatsoever. The sun and drinks alone is all I care about. If this sounds like you, than you may just have a decent time at Laguna mar. However the drinks are questionable as I know for a fact I was given many non alcoholic drinks (even when I requested "mas ron") and I frequently saw bugs floating in the slushie machines. Therefore, if all you care about is sun, Margarita Island is an absolutely stunning vacation destination. I highly recommend that you rent a car and drive around the entire island. It only takes a few hours to do the whole island and the views are spectacular... this experience alone made my trip worth while.

As for the Lagunamar resort.... there are so many things wrong with this place I dont even know where to begin. Maybe the mouldy rooms and carpets is a good start.. no wait the service... no wait how about my entirely bruised knee from slipping and falling on the moisture drenched floor in my room (AND NO THERE WAS SO CAUTION SIGN, NO DEHUMIDIFIER, AND THE WINDOWS DID NOT OPEN). And then not getting a dehumidifier until asking the desk not once but three times. How about the above mentioned bugs in the drink machines, or the maggot i found in my cauliflower on my second last day. I wont even start on how bad the food was. The dirty pools with the scum layer on top, the tiles on the bottom of the slide pool that cut the bottoms of your feet.

I could go on and on about this place but I dont want to waste anymore time. Don't waste your money.

Oh and to the wicked witch of the west and her two flying monkeys daughters that we met on the plane, enjoy your leatherface.

Oh and after reading the below terms of agreement, Lagunamar should pay me for this review not going into as much disturbing detail as it could have.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pampatar
Hesperia Isla Margarita
StevieWonderLand
StevieWonderLand
#1 of 12 in El Yaque
5.0 of 5 stars 204 reviews

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!