“A refreshing experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Pampatar
St. Augustine, null, Trinidad and Tobago
“A refreshing experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I travel there with a group of friends totaling 14 of us. Before coming to this hotel I read some of the reviews which gave me and my wife second minds but we eventually went of the trip. Getting there was kind of tedious as the flight was delayed. The hotel is like 45 minutes or a little less from the airport. After arriving at the hotel it was very refreshing because they staff made us felt very welcome. The food at the restaurants are really fantastic except for the Mexican food which I did not enjoyed. The soups are really superb as it reminds me of a good trini soup. Juices are freshly squeeze and the yogurt drink was just a must.

The price is not bad at all for the trip as it being all inclusive. The full body spa treatment my wife took was classify as heavenly because the price was just about 535Bs equivalent to 30USD which was definitely not bad.
As for shopping stay away from the flee market as it is not really safe there but you can go down to the Boulevard where you get some good bargains.
People who are not giving a good review of this hotel something is definitely with them wrong for paying so little money and want to get so much out of the place. Oh yea the only thing that was a turn off was the carpet outside the room which smells a bit off but after you just get accustom to it because of the moisture of the place causing the carpet to smell like that. Rooms are huge and beds are very comfortable..We are going back as a plus with other family members.

Room Tip: You can always ask for a room that over looks the sea but for me any room was find because my room o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My group consisting of 14 persons had a lovely time at this resort. The hotel is about 25 - 30 minutes from the airport. There is never a dull moment at the resort you are always occupied.The food is good except for the Mexican restaurant (you need an acquired taste). Service at the hotel was good even though they spoke little english so sharpen up your spanish vocabulary. It should be noted that the laguage barrier is not much of a problem. If you want to shop go to the boulevard or 4 de mayo. Stay away from the flea market. Book your getaway vacation with PHIL TOURS.We will definitely be returning to LA GUNA MAR and for a longer period. It was great always remember other people's experience will not necessarily be yours do not believe everything you read, experience it yourself. Definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask to be located in torre south, and ask for a beach view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Pierreville, Mayaro, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Contrary to what most people say, the hotel is in good condition. The food is generally good and there is quite a wide range of options at the various restaurants. The rooms were big and very clean and comfortable. The pools weren't always the cleanest but it was never overcrowded. The jacuzzis were lovely. The only disadvantage is that the pool and jacuzzis open at 10 and close at 6 since many people would prefer to use these when the sun is out. The service was generally good in the hotel. The service at the restaurants was outstanding. I totally enjoyed this experience and I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, feel free to request another and the staff would be happy to he...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. This hotel is far from the airport and everything else. When we first checked in we got a room in the first floor when we got in the room everything looked old, the tile was wet and cold, and there was underwear on top of the shower curtain. After that I went to the lobby to complain and then we got a room on the fourth floor which was 100x better; cleaner, newer and even had a balcony. The beach has a really strong current which I couldn't even swim in let alone my 16 month old. I have no idea why the beach has black sand along with white sand. The food is not great nor disgusting, just okay. We paid for the all inclusive package which includes alcohol, but because the mourning period for chavez was extended, the hotel couldn't serve alcohol throughout our entire stay, but the money which we had paid for alcohol was "non-refundable." Essentially, the hotel got to keep the money that we paid for alcohol even though they didn't provide any. Even though I'm from another country don't understand why alcohol is banned at tourist locations, I understand that it's not the hotel's fault that the laws are the way they are. What I don't understand is why I'm still required to pay for a service that isn't being provided. The service desk downstairs told us about a "wonderful" trip to the island de coche. Where they give you breakfast, lunch, take you on a beautiful ride, pick you up and drop you off. It was 650 bol. Per person and was awful! The port is a ways away from the hotel, there are beautiful boats and the one from the trip was seriously the worst looking boat at the port. They gave us bread for our "breakfast" the lunch was good. We had to swim through the water (kids, babies, bags, elderly, etc.) to get to shore. I am writing this as a compliant for the hotel because they had recommended this "awesome" trip which wasn't so at all. We made a complaint about the trip and they couldn't do anything for us except go on another trip and pay half price! There are a lot of shopping plazas and malls with great prices but everything is far from this hotel. The day before the trip to the island de coche I saw a trip that was to the same island with everything included that was offered in the mall that cost 400 Bol. I was thinking about changing it but i had already paid and the hotel recommended the one. The restaurants have odd hours that aren't posted anywhere to our knowledge. Several times we've walked out to the restaurants at lunch or dinner time to find that they weren't open. The only thing we loved was the kids pool. It was excellent. I am just happy to say we are going to Caracas tomorrow and far away from this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We (husband, 2 kids aged 12 &11, and myself) stayed at Laguna Mar Feb 13-20 2013. We travelled through Nolitours and stayed in the renovated North tower. We had no complaints at all with the hotel room, it was perfect, even the view of the mountains and roads were just fine with us. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The grounds are huge. It was about a 5-7 minute walk to the beach and we did sometimes use the truck shuttle but we didn't mind walking and enjoying the views. We have travelled to quite a few Carribean countries and one of us has always gotten diarrhea, this time NOT one of us got any type of stomach issue, which was great! The food was okay. No one starved and there were lots of choices but it was just okay. The food is geared to the South Americans who travel to this island. It was all South American food. There was pasta, rice, chicken, beef, fish etc and except for the pasta, everything basically was South American geared. We aren't picky eaters. I have eaten food that was still swimming in my soup when we were in Korea! We ate many lunches at the pizza/burger joint and it was GREAT food there. They also made panini style sandwiches there, fries, home made pizza, and ice cream.
We did a fair amount of research before picking Margarita Island. We didn't realize that it was the island that the Columbians, Chileans, Argentinians etc tour. Unfortunately the "common curtesy" that we Canadians are used to does not apply here. We spoke to other Canadians in our tour and they were having the same issues and observations. The bar tenders, food servers, and bus people all served, and cleared their fellow South Americans first. The people would bud in light, start speaking their order to the bar tender even though it should have been your turn. You could be following the line on the buffet and just as you're about to reach for the spoon to get some food, someone else would just take it and serve themselves. Nope, no common courtesy here.
The restaurant Chipi Chipi (pronounced Cheapy Cheapy) was not good. Food okay but the atmosphere and service with tables was horrible. You could have put a ball pit in there like in McDonald's and it would have been no different. The noise level was tremendously loud, kids running around the tables, busy as heck, no orderly fashion to clear and set tables, just a poorly managed restaurant. Again no manners are taught to these kids who just run around tables, bang into you, bang into your table, the parents do the same when running after their little ones. Oh and no "sorry" happened.
We changed restaurants and ate at the South tower restaurant. Much better, much cleaner, much better service, more food, and the servers and bus people were very pleasant. We made reservations and ate at the Mexican restaurant. Great food there. Service didn't have much organization but they tried hard to make it work and that alone counts for something.
They have very basic alcohol at the bars. Beer, rum, vodka (which they ran out of for 4 days), lots of tequila, gin and coladas. One of the other travellers in our tour had to put in a special request order to have diet pop brought in because she was a diabetic, apparently they don't carry diet pop.
We took the "Life's Beach Safari Tour" day tour of the island. WELL WORTH IT!! It was an amazing day. Toured the island, had a great beach grill lunch, and was just perfect.
As with most Carribean countries, you can't flush toilet paper down the toilet (you could in your hotel room), and if you do tour the island, you sometimes had to scoop a bucket of water and flush your toilet with that. Meh, it wasn't that bad!

Our kids weren't impressed with the slides as they were far too slow, the wave pool is no longer in service, and the beach had very rough waves. Our kids are very good swimmers and the flags were always yellow and red at the beach. They actually have very well trained lifeguards on the beach which was nice to see.
We would not return here again to this island. We spoke to many locals, and even our tour guide for Nolitours said that the island does just fine with the South American tourists that they don't really seem to be inclined to make it more inviting to the "gringos".
Enough said then!

Room Tip: the top floor of the North tower has been completely renovated. Further from the beach but nicer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Lagunamar from Jan 30 to Feb 6 with my family of 6.
Let me just start off by saying that I love to travel, anywhere, any time and I'm really not a picky person, whatsoever. The sun and drinks alone is all I care about. If this sounds like you, than you may just have a decent time at Laguna mar. However the drinks are questionable as I know for a fact I was given many non alcoholic drinks (even when I requested "mas ron") and I frequently saw bugs floating in the slushie machines. Therefore, if all you care about is sun, Margarita Island is an absolutely stunning vacation destination. I highly recommend that you rent a car and drive around the entire island. It only takes a few hours to do the whole island and the views are spectacular... this experience alone made my trip worth while.

As for the Lagunamar resort.... there are so many things wrong with this place I dont even know where to begin. Maybe the mouldy rooms and carpets is a good start.. no wait the service... no wait how about my entirely bruised knee from slipping and falling on the moisture drenched floor in my room (AND NO THERE WAS SO CAUTION SIGN, NO DEHUMIDIFIER, AND THE WINDOWS DID NOT OPEN). And then not getting a dehumidifier until asking the desk not once but three times. How about the above mentioned bugs in the drink machines, or the maggot i found in my cauliflower on my second last day. I wont even start on how bad the food was. The dirty pools with the scum layer on top, the tiles on the bottom of the slide pool that cut the bottoms of your feet.

I could go on and on about this place but I dont want to waste anymore time. Don't waste your money.

Oh and to the wicked witch of the west and her two flying monkeys daughters that we met on the plane, enjoy your leatherface.

Oh and after reading the below terms of agreement, Lagunamar should pay me for this review not going into as much disturbing detail as it could have.

• Stayed February 2013
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I found the hotel and it's grounds to be a wonderful place for a winter vacation - the north tower was clean and well maintained, the staff friendly and courteous, and our very spacious room on the fourth floor, although it did need more lighting, was beautiful with a wonderful view of the Ocean.

The air conditioning presented a curious problem however. As we entered our room, we were greeted by a sign warning us against "opening the windows" - the large doors that led out to our balcony. The air conditioning was set so low that, with the doors open, the floors became thick with condensation, and dangerous to navigate. If it was turned up to much more than 20C or 21C, the problem continued as well. But it was a beautiful room.

The hotel was an 8/10. Unfortunately, for us, the food was a 3/10.

Venezuala is currently in a real mess. Inflation exceeds 20%. There are shortages of everything in the country and this was reflected in the amounts and quality of the food at the hotel. Several times I had to ask for coffee, and the breads were dry and sparse. I did not expect to eat as I do at home, but breaded plantain (while South Americans may enjoy it) is not at the top of my list. Anything beef was also a major disappointment. Several guests who are "regulars" also expressed their disappointment at the "steady decline" in the quality of the food. This decline, apparently, began a couple of years ago. "Now", they said, "it was quite noticeable".

The hambuger/hot dog/pizza restaurant was a saviour and the restaurant at the beach was very good too - lots of BBQ fish, chicken and burgers. It had a great salad bar as well.

The hotel was not crowded during our visit, the pools were nice and clean, well maintained, and the sun-shaded deck chairs were readily available.

The shuttle truck almost asphixiated everyone, but it was a real help getting around the sprawling resort. It kept to a regular schedule and the drivers were very accomodating.

The entertainment was pretty lame, but then we knew we weren't going to be on a cruise ship. If you were Sanish speaking, it was probably OK. A microphone all the time would have helped.

The Security Police really ruined the exit from the country. I never thought US customs could look good, but this was something else. The process was long, and repetitious -the same Inspector ransacked my carry-on luggage twice inside an hour. Oh well .. it's their country I guess... But it was part of the package/experience.

All in all, it was a great Hotel - great facilities, great beach, great weather, but lousy food - too lousy for having paid top dollar!

Room Tip: Get onto the fourth floor, and ask for extra lighting (ie - a floor lamp). You definitely want an o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!