“by the beach, better than in town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Complexo Turistico Halley

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xai-Xai
Complexo Turistico Halley
You added Complexo Turistico Halley to your Saves list
Xai Xai Beach | Inhambane, Xai-Xai, Mozambique   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Xai-Xai B&B and Inns
Roskilde, Denmark
“by the beach, better than in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

On a working assignment in Gaza Province I had to stay two nights in Xai-Xai. The first night in town was spent at a place which was a cross between a garage, a prison, a sports club and a brothel. It is not listed on Trip Advisor and in fact the room itself wasn't too bad and very clean! The second night I went to the beach and found Halley's Tourist Complex, which was probably modern and smart about 50 years ago. Although it is very shabby, with broken fittings and cupboard doors that didn't close properly, a light that didn't work, etc, etc. there were some bright spots, notably the beach itself, but also the very good fish dish served in the restaurant and the orange juice for breakfast. But I know I'm struggling to find positive things to say in order to justify an average rating. Some of the staff smiled. There was hot water. By Mozambican standards it was good value! I also stayed at a Safari Complex in an inland village where I was charged around 50 USD for a bed in a hut with no electricity, a toilet that didn't work, drops of water in a bucket and mosquitos buzzing through the windows. Wild times!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was my second unfortunate stay at the Halley and will hopefully be my last. This time, however, I had a friend with me so we both will share years of memories of the worst place we've ever stayed. Where to begin ... the room. Hmmm, there was definitely a Gulag inspired motif to add to the institutional feeling of the room - bare walls, no windows, 2 channels on the TV and no internet. The thread-sheet count may have been around 50 and the pillows themselves had the firmness and flexibility of a throw rug or pasta al dente. You could also hear every sound the people in other rooms made - as if they were sitting in your room - Bose should do research here. Also, the gaps in the door were so wide that the lighting from the hall shown through them like the sun was constantly rising. I haven't experienced that sensation since a trip to Alaska during the summertime. Although our bathroom had been "updated", there was no hot water so it didn't really matter. If you did wash any part of your person, you then had to dry yourself with the cleaning rags they hung as towels which were also mildewy so you reeked of that aroma after using them. After telling the front desk several times that the hot water didn't work, they sent a maid to the room who bellowed at my friend in angry Portuguese like my friend was stupid and then stood in the shower herself for 5 minutes with the water running until she realized that we were actually, shockingly, able to correctly identify that there was no hot water. We were then given a key to the room across the hall to shower ... that shower was so disgusting, moldy and rusty that any human contact with a surface will most likely require years of therapy. As would have it, we actually used a bit of the new toilet paper roll in the shower room. This was met with not one, but two knocks at our door later by the maid, holding the toilet paper roll with an angry look on her face and accusatory gestures. Are you kidding me?? They must have hit their quota of toilet paper allotment that day because none of the other public restrooms had any in them either. The food - meh. My friend liked the seafood. I ordered a hamburger that was served to me still slightly frozen with a warm egg on top. Of course I was still charged for the fries. The food was ridiculously expensive for not only what you received but also for the area. I've eaten meals in nice restaurants in Maputo that were cheaper. The dining area looked like a 1970s meeting hall a la VFW lodge. Service in the restaurant was nice and they made an effort - security was attentive, but reception desk and everyone else were surly, lazy and rude (except for one particular maid who was really sweet - day shift). You were left with the distinct feeling that this place is all about how much the owner can squeeze out of you for the least amount of effort or concern. The best part is that they charge around $130 for this fabulous experience. Avoid at all costs if you can. The beach is nice though!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was very grateful to stay in Complexo Turistico Halley, as the other option was being stuck on the side of the road in rural Mozambique or in a very dodgy motel in the town of Xai-Xai. It's also named after Halley's Comet, which is adorable, across the street from the beach, which was convenient, and attracted a nice crew of expats at dinner/drinking time, which was what really made our vacation awesome.

At the same time, the rooms were pretty crappy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Grove City, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Location, location, location. f you like being near the beach, this is the place for you. In the US, this would be a 2 star hotel, maybe. The shower in my room only dribbled, but it was hot (no tub). The shower stall looked like something out of a cheap trailer park, rusty and falling apart. There were no mosquitos to speak of inside my room and there was an air conditioner in the room with remote control. The TV had two channels in Portuguese. There was a small refrigerator in the room. There was one wall plug, but you had to pull the bed away from the wall to use it (and unplug the bed lamp). Two light bulbs were burnt out when I got there. I had to sit on the bed to do work on my laptop as there was no other option. No internet. Breakfast was included and was the same every day, nescafe or tea, breads (primarily white), fruit (papaya, banana and maybe orange), and your choice of two eggs (fried, omelette, or scrambled). The omelette maybe had some cheese in it, I was not sure. Dinners here were decent. I only had fish or prawns, and it cost about $30 US or so, which seemed high to me. Of course, they had wine and beer, but the beer selection is limited mostly to local beer, which I found to be insipid. There is a large new attached section for banquets, and there is loud music piped across the parking lot near the beach on weekends where you can also buy a beer. The place was mostly dead. Almost no tourists that I saw in the 9 days and almost no whites. On the last day or two I met a Canadian and a dad and his daughter from Manhattan (the only Americans I saw there). I was there for work and this is where I was put up. Don't expect fluent English from anyone if any English at all. I slept well most of the time. No pool, no fitness center, no taxis.

Room Tip: If you have a room on the front, you can see the ocean from the "balcony." There is no whe...