“My kind of kitchen” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Kommetjie, Western Cape, South Africa
“My kind of kitchen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The first time we walked in by change. Knowing you have to book weeks before I just wanted to show it to my partner and, surprise, were invited in. We landed in such a relaxed space, the same informal atmosphere you have when you have a great dinner with friends at home only now some people are performing the magic for you. It was not only a feast for the tastebuds but also for the eyes. Almost a pity to dig into the little paintings served with love and care. The waiters were great, they know what is being served, they know their wines. I have been back since and will be again and agin and again.............

• Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
San Francisco, California
“Amazing everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

The reservation process was not so bad as long as you reserve months ahead. Katy was efficient. Then we got to the restaurant for a Saturday brunch.The market was busy so there was no parking. We almost got into an accident trying to find parking but we made it in one piece.
Food: remarkable, remarkable, remarkable. Surprisingly, we were able to get a couple choices out from the 5 course menu and made it our own 3 course menu. I like that they are not snooty like that.
Service: exceptional
Price: reasonable for being #61 in the world

enjoyed the experience overall!

I did feel bad after we ate. There were a few women outside with their kids begging for money. I felt bad that I had this amazing lunch and they were hungry so I had to give them some food money.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Dinner with theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We'd been looking forward to trying out the Test Kitchen, and we weren't let down. We were surprised by its intimacy on entering, as it's literally like being in the middle of a working kitchen with the waiters dancing around you like a ballet. Our waiter, a young Brad Pitt look-a-like even gave the occasional endearing pirouette. A visual treat to accompany the gastronomic ones.
We spoilt ourselves stupid with 10 delicate courses and wines over 3 hours. Never rushed each course and wine was eloquently described. Water and wine were subtly refilled like a whisper kissing you're ear. There was just one mistake, when the wrong wine was served with one course, but it was quickly corrected and we'd have never known if it hadn't have been for the confession. The BBQ Broccoli, perigold truffle and Parmesan was a stand-out dish for the table side artistry, as was the Mozambique langoustine cooked in a concrete ball.
I'm glad we booked early as the experience was a great and memorable pleasure.

• Visited February 2014
London
“Worth planning ahead for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We concluded this meal with the decision that for our next trip to South Africa, we would book our table here before we book our flights. Utterly brilliant.

Cool, slightly peripheral location, contemporary but comfortable interior, blending that slightly industrial, warehouse feel with a bit of colour nicely to keep things still warm, welcoming and intimate. Open kitchen revealing a large team of chefs going about their work methodically makes for a fascinating but in no way intrusive back drop. Service was fantastic, Rio our waitress could not have been more enthusiastic and seemed very well informed, as were all the team who worked together really well in keeping things fluid.

I am lucky enough to have eaten at The Ledbury a few times and also Dinner at the Mandarin, both double Michelin stars and high up SP top 50 restaurants, both fabulous places, clearly, and both real treats. Whilst the food at both could certainly be argued as being a touch more refined, for the overall experience, I really have to say that I enjoyed our lunch at the Test Kitchen far more. It was also a third of the cost! Coming from London, this really is insanely good value.

Great atmosphere, great food, great staff, great lunch! Thank you.

• Visited March 2014
michigan
“way better than Tasting Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

SA is obsessed with tasting menus. Small potions,creative presentations. IMO Test Kitchen did a much better job of it than The Tasting Room(TTR). Emphsis was on the food not the presentation. TTR is all about presentation. I didnt know what I was eating half the time, it was too contrived. Not worth it.
BTW if you want to have dinner at the Test Kitchen make your reservation at least 2 months in advance.

• Visited February 2014