“Great Hotel, Great location - Don't go anywhere else.” 5 of 5 stars

Spa Hotel Levitunturi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Levintie 1590, Levi 99130, Finland   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Levi
Scotland
“Great Hotel, Great location - Don't go anywhere else.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I am just back from the Levintunturi Hotel after a 5 night stay commencing 28 December to 2 January 2010. Having previously visited Sarraselka, (Riekonlinna Hotel) I can say (without hesitation) that the Levi resort is by far the better of the 2. The Levitunturi Hotel was great with decent food, spotlessly clean rooms, and a great location. When the new extension is completed in 2010 it will be a magnificent hotel/location. Guests were made up of Cosmos, Inghams, locals and Russians.

The Negative bit - Cosmos staff had an easy time of it, the welcome meeting was the worst I have experienced with the usual (expensive) optional trips the main topic. No local information, including the location of the Tourist information centre situated about 100 metres from the hotel where you can book trips independently and yes, you've guessed, much cheaper. 246 euros for family ski-mobiling with Cosmos is a bit pricey. Incredibly, Cosmos staff were selling corporate t shirts, hats and Yo Yo's, why on earth would you want to buy a yo yo especially when they had the Monorch/Cosmos logo on it, they should be giving them away - especially to the kids.

If you are looking at holidaying in Lapland you need to be aware of the cost of eating and drinking as its much higher than the UK especially with the weak pound. The hotel didn't ease the pain any by profiteering on a bottle of diet coke. Here's the story; asked for 2 diet cokes and the waitress proceeded to the cabinet style fridge on customer side to get a bottle (500ml) by the time she added ice and poured the drinks there was about a quarter left which she kept for the next customer. She then charged me over 5 euros for 2 small glasses. If I had selected the bottle myself and paid her it would have cost 3.20 euros....big mistake Levitunturi!!! That said, it wont affect my overall grading, this time!

As alluded to previously, the Hotel was spotlessly clean, rooms were large and had a good sized bathroom, great shower and an independent dryer where you could store all your wet damp clothing. Nice and warm the following morning. All the rooms are located within a short stroll/walk from the main building.

Food was fine with plenty of choice and well presented. I thought that overall the standard was pretty good. Staff wore gloves and hand cleansers were evident at the entrance to the restaurant, always a good sign.

The Hotel is located about a 5 min walk from zero point, the main ski resort/building where you can get your ski passes and hire equipment etc. Slopes looked great, sledging was fantastic for big and small kids. Small shopping area close by, not the photo I have included (much better shopping area across the road) and a great pizza restaurant where the food was well priced despite its fantastic location overlooking the slopes.

I have brought home all sorts of leaflets, local newspaper and prices for everything including e mail addresses of independent tour companies who specialize in ski mobiling etc so if you need anything get in touch and I will send you the details. Previous reviews mentioned the cheaper alternatives but no direct link to them, even google didnt show them when searched for.

Our Cosmos package included a "taster" of ski-mobiling, huskey ride etc but it wasnt worth the effort as the tasters lasted ( if you were lucky) about 2 mins each, Cosmos not good enough, improve upon this or you will lose customers!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
Essex,Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Having just returned from a one in a lifetime trip to see santa for my 5 year old daughter I would recommend the trip organised through Cosmos/Monarch.The hotel is 5 minute walk from bottom of great ski area.The hotel was well maintained and the rooms very clean and modern.The heater cupboard which in our room was in the bathroom was great for drying out gloves etc.On arrival to the airport you are kitted out with a good thermal ski type suit and snow boots.The trip to see santa at his sorting office was magical and the adults just faded into the background watching the kids faces light up as there letters to santa was read out in front of them.
The food was basic but plentyful with enough to fill even the fussiest of eaters.Always good fish selection although mainly salmon and loads of salady things.
If you are going in the near future then do take wooly layers and neck gator along with balaclava and thinsulate hat.Mittens work better than fingered gloves and hand warmers fit better inside(ski shop locally $2.50).
We went husky and reindeer riding in the dark which was fab but the coldest is the snowmobile due to windchill factor.
Overall good experience.
P.s The glitter in the air isn't fine snow.Its the moisture in the freezing before your very eyes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
cortona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

very good hotel!!! Big buffet dinner and not expensive!!! Very good buffet breakfast!!! Music every evening!!! Good SPA with Sauna, Turkey Bath and Pool!!! Very Good!! We enjoied our self!!

• Stayed August 2009
Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

I read all the reviews regarding the Hotel Levitunturi before I took my son and a friend on a 4 night Santa Experience with Inghams in December 2008. Obviously, the reviews were mixed but I carried on with the trip regardless. I must say that I was very impressed with the speed of processing through reception and with the politeness of everyone that I encountered from the hotel. Staff were extremely accommodating and if you didn't prebook activities with the holiday company/rep, then the hotel were happy to do it for you. I did prebook all activities although I would say that the 2.5hr trip to Santa Park was definitely NOT worth it and would advise anyone to not go there. Inghams provide a Santa night free of charge and this is a superb excursion. Also, you can book to visit a Santa Village local to Levi which is tremendous value for money and far superior to the Santa Park and you don't have a 5 hour round trip to make.

I was wary about the Reindeer safari and didn't think I would enjoy it, but as it turned out we had the best laugh and time of our holiday - it was superb. Our lazy reindeer got a spurt on and decided to overtake everyone on the frozen lake!!!

I'd read reports about the food not being very good at the hotel and I must admit you could get bored with the buffet items, but similarly, there was a lot of choice and the staff would also try and accommodate your needs should you wish anything different (albeit for a slight charge no doubt), although we didn't have the need to request anything different.

For lunch we tended to use the pizza restaurant across the road (everything is within 2-3mins walk from the hotel - including snowmobiling, supermarket etc).

Be warned, there is a coffee filter machine in each room, but no filters or coffee. There is no actual kettle either. The drying closet in the walk in shower room is brilliant for hanging wet and damp clothes. You just select the temperature and the amount of time you want it dried for.

We had room 209 which was on the ground floor outside of the hotel and we had a verandah. The hotel pushed up snow into piles outside all of the surrounding accommodation and laid on plastic sledges so children and adults could muck around - great fun (even more so after a few glasses of wine!!) The sledges also came in handy for carrying shopping back from the supermarket!

Being outside of the main hotel was great fun and certainly when we return, we would specify that we would want to be outside of the hotel and not inside as the rooms were great. Very warm, clean and practical - although the TV was flat screen, the programmes were nothing to write home about.

There is a swimming pool/spa/sauna attached to the hotel and is free for residents - beware that they go into the sauna's naked and when I lost my 6yr old son I eventually found him extremely red faced coming out of the men's sauna!!

Locals tend to use the hotel in the evening and certainly dress up for the occasion which put us to shame in our snow boots etc. whilst they were in stilletto's and furs!!! Although it did appear to be a Grab a Granny type of event it didn't interfere with our enjoyment as we were mainly outside attempting to sledge down the snowhills (mind the bumps!!)

We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and wouldn't want to be in any other hotel in the area. We were so impressed we are re-booking with Inghams for this year.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
lancs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Very very poor food - best described as equivalent to very poor quality 'processed' salty canteen food which you had to serve yourself, including getting your own cutlery .

Breakfast was bread ++, porridge (which looked and tasted like 18th Century gruel), burnt greasy bacon, cavity wall insulation (a.k.a. scrambled eggs), stale cake, cheese, ham, sometimes food which had been left over from the previous evenings dinner menu, and of course, just what you need on a winter holiday....salad !!
Liquid refreshment was very strong coffee, horrible tea and 'powdered' orange juice - Come on hotel Levitunturi - you can do better than this - and try employing a few more dining room staff - we never once got asked if we even wanted to order drinks from the bar - if we had we would have spent probably 150 Euros more - and please don't take away all the food and beverages at 8pm ( yes, everything is removed whether or not you have finished or even started).
Your dining room / bar area really lets you down - such a shame because the rooms are OK (walls a bit thin) but good bathrooms with drying cabinets. The good thing is that the village had some good restaurants and a few good bars - Irish Bar (Olivers Corner) is great.

• Stayed April 2009
Beautiful North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Just got back from Levi following a week skiing with my family and friends. Absolutely fantastic time, hotel food was good and plentiful. Staff were friendly and great with the kids. Rooms were very clean and warm with good facilities, fridge, coffe maker and TV etc etc.
There is a span and pool located in the hotel lot, it was very clean and warm-brilliant to unwind after a good day's skiing.
It was very cold at -29C so make sure you take plenty of warm clothes, we had been to Finland last year but the cold weather was like no other we had experienced.
the hotel is pretty close to the pistes but be ready for some queuing on your first day.
We will definately be back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Althought my stay in Levi was a quick one, I was impressed by this hotel. It was great! The hotel is clean and rooms are spacious, functional, and immaculately clean. I loved all the wood in the rooms and it truly made me feel like I was staying in a cabin of some sort. The heated drying unit in the washroom would be very useful. There was no bath tub but the bathroom was very functional. There was a separate room in my room with bunk beds. A little kitchen area had a microwave and everything you would require to put together a quick snack.
Although I didn't try it, the pool looked beautiful and they retain certain hours just for their own guests which is a nice touch.
The staff seemed very friendly, accomodating, and spoke very good English.
The location was very central and close to the gondola.
Be sure to buy your postcards and souvenirs like Cloudberry Syrup and alcohol at the grocery store, it's a lot cheaper than the other souvenir shops.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Been to Spa Hotel Levitunturi? Share your experiences!