“I felt like a guest in their home!” 5 of 5 stars

Coconut Lodge
Las Sauces, Las Cumbres, Panama City, Panama   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Las Cumbres B&B and Inns
Acworth, Georgia
“I felt like a guest in their home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Of all the places we stayed in Panama, which were all nice, this was absolutely the most amazing of them all! I honestly did not feel like I was staying at a B&B or in a hotel, or such, but rather like I was an actual guest in their home! Mike and Nancy were so friendly and accommodating and I cannot even begin to imagine how it could have been any better!!

The meals were some of the most amazing I have eaten and the service was wonderful. The pool is saltwater which is SOOO much better than chlorine! Loved it! We rented a car so this location was also very central do doing birding and visiting Pipeline road as well as visiting the city.

We only spent 4 nights but I wish we could have spent a month! If I could give Coconut lodge a higher rating, I would! We will definitely go back when in Panama again, and I will definitely suggest this to friends who are visiting!

Room Tip: With as few rooms and as secluded as it is, I cannot imagine any room being bad. We stayed in the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tmurban

Barnstable, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Coconut Lodge in their casita for three nights in May. Once we walked into the B&B it was even prettier than the photos and you felt that you had entered into another world after driving from the airport. It was very tropical and our hosts, Nancy & Michael, and their daughter Melissa, were very welcoming. In the morning when we could see more of our surroundings we fell in love with the sights and sounds of the birds and all the little critters and we felt as if we were transported into a little piece of paradise. The surrounding gardens around the pool & spa area were well maintained with beautiful flowers everywhere. We went up for breakfast and could not believe the feast that was presented to us. First they start you off with coffee, juice, & a yogurt parfait, as well as the freshest and tastiest local mangos, papaya, & pineapple. Next, Michael added to that his special smoked bacon, which he does himself, with scrambled eggs. Everything was top notch. We didn't realize it until we read the sign, that they also serve dinner each evening, so we immediately signed up for that and it was delicious. The ambience made it perfect and we got to interact with other people from all parts of the world.
Our first day we were to meet a realtor who at 1144pm the previous evening canceled her appointment. Nancy readjusted her schedule in order that we receive an overview of the city. This was extremely accommodating of her, above and beyond as far as we were concerned, and so very much appreciated by us.
If you want to be away from all the noise, than this is the place to be. One thing to keep in mind is that taxis are more expensive because it is on the outskirts, but if you rent a car or just don't want to go anywhere and relax, it is a great place to be. Thank you for making our stay an enjoyable first time experience to Panama.

Room Tip: The casita afforded us privacy and spaciousness. We would definitely chose this room again.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank seapearl63
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of March during our week long vacation in Panama. We chose Coconut Lodge based on the wonderful 5 star reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed in any way. Nancy and Mike are wonderful hosts. They work there butts off 24/7 to ensure their guests have a wonderful stay. It truly does seem like you are staying with friends and not a bed and breakfast. The meals were all perfect and were a wonderful value. The pool is nice and we enjoyed mingling with all the other guests from around the world at the dinner table. We booked 3 tours through them and they were all great. Melissa is an excellent guide and again after the first few minutes it seemed like it was a friend showing us around her city. The price of the tours was very good for the service provided. We both have many wonderful lifetime memories from our stay at Coconut Lodge. I highly recommend this place to anyone staying in the area while on vacation. Thank you Mike, Nancy and family for making our stay such a fantastic experience !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David Z
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

A great place to stay a little outside the city. Mike and Nancy are amazing hosts and took care of every aspect of our stay. We enjoyed day trips with Melissa. Melissa went out of her way to help with renting a car and showing us how to get out of the city. The dinners were great and it was nice to meet people from all over the world!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jean J
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed with Nancy and Mike towards the end of April, and had a wonderful time. The grounds our gorgeous, the service is impeccable, and the food delicious. Nancy was incredibly helpful in helping us plan our stay in advance, even calling a church to ask for Mass times so that we could plan our trip to Contadora around when we could get back for church. You have to ask Mike to give you a fresh coconut with rum :)

Nancy and Mike are so generous that you don't ever feel nickel and dimed, like you do at many hotels. They were extremely helpful in planning our transportation, even when we were doing tours outside of those that they offer. They even held our stuff for us while we went to Contadora, and let us borrow a phone! Truly - the service was fantastic - as was the company of other guests.

Nancy and Mike do have 3 small dogs - but the dogs do not go in your room. Also, if you don't like dogs I think they would be pretty good about keeping them away.

Room Tip: We had Cafe Con Leche and enjoyed it very much.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank bumblebeesocks
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

What I like most about the Coconut Lodge is that it kept my daughter and I safe in a foreign country. I've always wanted to see Panama and felt the country would be safe for us to travel there but I can see where our holiday would have been unpleasant--or worse--without the Coconut Lodge and the people there. The Lodge is situated in an upscale neighborhood just outside of Panama City. We met one of the neighbors. He was a doctor. His wife was a dentist. The Lodge is surrounded by a high, impenetrable fence. And at night, an electric fence for security. We always felt safe and slept well. The neighborhood is quiet and peaceful. For some reason, stinging bugs and mosquitoes were either not present--or were not a problem.

I think in many ways, the Lodge offers 5 to 6-star services, particularly in concierge services. Co-owner Nancy not only schedules tours and simple trips to town with efficiency and her expert business skills (she holds and MBA), she deftly anticipates your needs and saves you time, money and hassle.

If I go there again I will wait until we arrive and then schedule all trips and tours with Nancy. Her ability to find the best, knowledgeable vendors for site-seeing, or hire someone she knows to escort you on a private tour are World-Class. Coconut Lodge concierge services exceeded those I recently received at the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando. She takes the services seriously and finds the highest quality guided tours for her clients. She knows in so doing--the Lodge puts its own reputation under scrutiny.

Our tours to the Embera Indian Village and the Rainforest Discovery Center were beyond FANTASTIC!! Once-in--lifetime experiences. For a third tour we scheduled on our own, Nancy typed out expert directions and called the corporate office to ensure the driver would find the location for our 5:00 a.m. pick-up time. That is high, high quality--Ritz-Carlton level.

Food safety is a major concern for those who love to travel to foreign countries. Without mentioning all of the issues associated with food safety, I can tell you we enjoyed nearly all our meals at Coconut Lodge and I am now finding myself craving Mike's gourmet cooking. We were unconcerned about unsafe water or foods--such a relief in a foreign country. We enjoyed fresh guava juice daily, escargot, fresh, high quality fruit each morning, home-smoked bacon, fresh eggs, crepes, and yogurt parfaits; homemade high quality hungarian stew for lunch (once gratis [because they are simply nice and generous and have good manners]). Dinners were three course meals. I could continue for many paragraphs about the meals. Point is--the food was 5-star-level food.

What I want to emphasize is the cheerful accomodation for dietary restrictions and food allergies. My daughter's multiple food allergies were always considered when her meals were served. Always--and with graciousness and with pleasure to help us. Coconut Lodge reaches 6-star-level service with these highly specialized services, i.e., Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons service. And breakfast was included in the price of the lovely rooms. Dinners were available for only $18 per person and lunches--for $10. I call that high quality VALUE.

Honesty is priceless. In haste, I left a large amount of cash on the desk one morning and hadn't realized it until we returned to the room later that day. The room had been cleaned. the bed made, and waste removed. All of my personal items were respectfully untouched. $75 cash left in full view on the edge of the desk remained in the position where it had been left that morning--untouched.

We stayed in Cafe con leche. The room was clean, attractive and we always had enough fluffy towels. All appliances were in full operation. The aircon was efficient. The mini-bar, well stocked. Fine wines were available. One bottle was gratis with the room.

Lovely, well maintained landscaping frames the location. Those beautiful bushes with gorgeous white flowers will stay on my mind. Fountains, four gorgeous white doves and orchids were a delight. The saltwater pool was refreshing, clean and soothing following long days touring this beautiful, globally important country.

Should I return to Panama, Coconut Lodge is the only accomodation I will consider.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Floridabluemacau
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

In May 2013, our family stayed at Coconut Lodge for one week. It was the perfect place for our children. They certainly enjoyed the pool, the 3 little dogs and the 2 parrots a lot. The natural surroundings were very nice and we enjoyed several peaceful evenings outside and amazingly (for being in the tropics), we had no issues with mosquitos whatsoever. Actually, we did not use any bug spray. This was a very nice experience compared to our native Atlanta.

The food was absolutely wonderful and Nancy and Mike provided excellent service. Cannot think of any complaints whatsoever. Certainly the best vacation experience we had in a long while. I would give it 6 stars if I could.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall
Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall
#7 of 116 in Panama City
4.5 of 5 stars 856 reviews

Been to Coconut Lodge? Share your experiences!