“great massages, terrible waiter service” 2 of 5 stars

Km 65 via Baeza, Papallacta, Ecuador   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Papallacta
UK
“great massages, terrible waiter service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

The environment was lovely, view from anywhere was astounding. I had the best massage ever, from Rosita and a great facial, from Christi I think. The treatments were wonderful and good value - not great as you can have an hour long massage in Quito for $15. I was very surprised that they didn't offer manicures and pedicures, this would have been nice just before we left.

It was a very relaxing environment, you can just take your book and read in one of the many lounge type areas (it rained a lot while we were there, otherwise we would have read outside). It is difficult to read in your room as it is almost completely dark even with the light on.

My problem was the restaurant. As soon as the waiters knew that we were on a package - so for the set meal, they stomped off in a huff and service became non existent. I cannot eat gluten, we told our travel company, twice, and we told the kitchen as soon as we arrived (who didn't seem to know) however at every meal I had to remind the waiter, and he had to talk to the kitchen and make some sort of change to my meal (usually just leaving out the items with gluten, which meant that I didn't have as much to eat). At breakfast there was no choice so I just had to leave out the bread items (most of the meal). Not impressed by this at all. Also we would have liked some of the items on the menu, perhaps paying extra, but this was not an option.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I loved this place. The massages and hot pools were great. They were definitely cheap compared to U.S. prices. The cabin was very nice. It had an indoor fireplace with a bedroom, full bath with jacuzzi, and kitchen downstairs and a loft bedroom upstairs. The loft bedroom had four twin beds and quite a bit of room. My parent in laws stayed downstairs and my husband and I and our daughter stayed upstairs. I will say that we experienced what we would call "haunting" encounters the night we stayed. It was one of the weirdest experiences but nothing scary. Overall we loved the place, the food was great, the accommodation was good and the thermal areas were great

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I read the reviews of this place out of curiosity as I've been there twice (2005 and 2007) and loved it. As everyone thinks, the accomodation is lovely, the pools are fab, the spa is great and the location and views spectacular. The gripe seems to be with the food. Both times I've been here I was on a backpacker budget so just paying to stay there was a major treat. So, after looking at the prices on the restaurant menu, I simply went to the little restaurant right next door for food. Absolutely delicious trout (I recommend the orange sauce) for about $4. I went to the spa restaurant later and had the house wine - Ecuador is not known for it's wine but it was pretty cheap and did the job!
This is such as speacial place, and going to the cafe next door means you are helping the local busineses too. Just make sure you check the opening times as I don't think it was open late.
Another tip, I sat in the pool for a couple of hours one morning, in the rain, looking up at grey clouds beyond the volcanoes. As I put my backpack on that afternoon, I realised I'd seriously burnt myself. You are 4000m up, WEAR SUN SCREEN!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Crete
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

A wonderful spa where I had the best massage ever (ask for Alicia!). To lie in hot outdoor pools looking across the valley to a volcano while humming birds flew around our heads - well, that takes SOME beating! The restaurant was rather soul-less but we liked everything else. There's lots to do in the area, though unfortunately we were there during a VERY WET time in the rainy season.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Shelbyville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night after our 5 day cruise in Galapagos. The stay was arranged through the tour company that booked our entire three week South America trip. We traveled by car with a guide from Quito. It rained the entire time we were at the hotel, and on the drive! However, we were there for relaxation rather than hiking or adventure, so it fit the bill. We both enjoyed the spa package including hydrotherapy (a jet tub), mud wrap, and relaxing massage. The food at the restaurants was fine. My husband particularly enjoyed the shrimp cassoulet at the main restaurant, and we thought the trout was good. Our room was fine and we really enjoyed having the private hot spring to soak in at all hours. It was mid week when we stayed, so it was very quiet. A relaxing interlude for us!

• Liked — spa treatment, hot springs
  • Disliked — isolated location, terrible road to the hotel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

My wife and I did a lot of research on Termas de Papallacta and I read everyone's review of the place and learned a lot so I wanted to write a review to help others. I am not one to be negative and I hate being that way but I must add a few negative points to our stay. From the bus stop at the bottom of the hill, we walked a ways and then decided to call for a car. We had to call 3 times and still no car picked us up, though all 3 times they said it was coming. We waited for over 30 minutes until we decided to "hitch" a ride and got no real appology once we got there. The spa front desk personnel were not very nice and (i hate to mention it) I found something in my soup that was not suppose to be there. They tried to get me to take something else and not take it off the bill.
I hate saying those things because everything else was great. Pools were great, the rooms were nice, most of the people were nice, the food was great for the most part and the location was beautiful.

• Liked — Quiet, Great rooms, Great pools
  • Disliked — Not very accomadating in terms of transportation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Spent 2 nights here after a trip to the galapagos. The setting of this place is really nice surrounded by beautiful mountains...but there's definately a lot lacking in the service.

The good: Springs are nice and i did enjoy the pools at the spa. However during my massage the ladies where talking so loudy in the hallway that i had to stop the massage and have them quiet down. The rooms are clean but very basic not worth the price...

The absolute worst part was the restaurant. The food was horrible and overpriced for Equador any way....they also offer a "menu of the day"...but watch out cause they'll try to charge you a la carte anyway. And the service was horrible. After my first night I dreaded my next couple days there. Was so turned off that I decided not to even go to the spa the next day. Just spent the day sitting in the pools which were just OK.

If you are considering this place just go on a day trip from Quito and use either the public pools or the pools in the spa for $17. Don't waste you money staying here.

• Liked — Nice setting
  • Disliked — Service terrible
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Termas de Papallacta? Share your experiences!