“Splendid Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Manciano
Hampton
“Splendid Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We could only stay for one night and wished we had been able to stay longer, it makes a perfect base for visiting the many attractions nearby. There are also two Michelin Restaurants in the town. The rooms are elegant and spacious and the breakfast good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I'm very lucky I have found this hotel. It is located in walking distance to the old center and easy to park the big car I have. Diva Vannetti the owner is a warm and gracious host. She has been there for more than 40 years! Now she is a friend. They give you free wifi that in Italy you would normally pay for it. Wonderful place for the money, huge rooms!

• Stayed October 2011
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My 15 year old son and I took a quick trip through Tuscany and Liguria in late July 2011, and stopped here overnight based on a recommendation on TripAdvisor. Our goal was to hit the hot springs in nearby Saturnia, and we wanted an easy location from which to explore the area.

The staff at Hotel Rossi were very helpful and spoke enough English (although I speak Italian, which helped). The hotel entry & common areas, plus the room, were very clean and fresh and in good shape. Rooms have AC, which is helpful in the summer months. We were surprised that the room was so spacious. I liked the central location of this place, right near the entrance to the old town, which is an easy walk from the hotel. Heading out from here to Saturnia or Pitigliano is a breeze.

The included breakfast leaves a bit to be desired, but they do get credit for trying hard. I suggest you skip the breakfast and catch a cappuccino and cornetto at one of the nearby bars.

I would definitely stay here again. If you're looking for more charm in the area, I suggest you check out the many B&Bs in the countryside.

Buon Viaggo.
Michael

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the old town/bell tower
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oak Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Clean. Charming to look at. Diva, the owner, is friendly enough as is her cute little dog. Family run place. But NO English speakers here - not even 1 person! If you are not 100% fluent in Italian, just forget about staying here. Took 30 minutes just to ask for more towels. I can now see why all the other reviews are in Italian...it never even occured to us that NOBODY would speak English! Well live and learn...

Booked 2 nights. As soon as we got here decided 1 night would be more than enough for this area. There is really nothing here or nearby EXCEPT "Terme di Saturnia" which you can frankly do in about 2 or 3 hours AT MOST and then move on.

We told the owner right away the same night we arrived, giving her 24 hours notice, that we would NOT be needing the 2nd night. She managed to communicate that she would be charging us for BOTH nights anyway and that we should stop asking her about it. Also she made it clear that her feelings were hurt! So besides being overcharged, we had to "comfort her" that her hotel was just fine and everything was our fault and then WE had to apologize for not staying the 2nd night and inconveniencing her. It's like that all over Italy tho so best to just get used to it right away. Don't EVER expect the level of customer service you are used to at home, if you live in US....you will just be verrrrry disappointed. "The customer is always right" is NOT something they have ever heard in Italy!!! Thankfully the history, art, and architecture of Italy will knock your socks off and you will quickly forget all the strange hotel experiences you had there.

No elevator or porter and our room was 2 flights up - so pack lightly or expect to use your muscles! Room is spacious, clean, and bath was nice with a little towel warmer and nice shower. 12" tv with NO english channels at all. After 10 days without a bit of English TV, we felt pretty cut off from reality. Next time we're in Europe, I will make sure there is at least CNN or BBC in the room so as not to feel *totally* alienated.

I'd suggest a room in the back unless you enjoy being awakened by the roar of traffic starting at 4:30 or 5 am. Street in front looks quiet but is actually a truck route. Even with all windows closed TIGHTLY, none of us could sleep - it was just that noisy.

Beds were basic - on the soft and squishy side.

Key was weird: if you leave room and take room key, whoever is left INSIDE the room will be WITHOUT electric (yes I'm serious). When you remove your room key from its slot just inside your door, it shuts off all your electric automatically. ??? Great for a hotel owner I'm sure who wants to save money on electric bils -- but pretty annoying if you travel in a group. Our friend couldn't be left in room to sleep while we went out at night -- since if SHE had the key and the electric, then we had to wake her up to get back into the room. If WE had they key, she had NO electric and was forced to sit around in the dark. She voted to just be woken up every time we came back. :( We saw this in some other hotels in Italy too and it always came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

No great "sights" nearby - except Terme di Saturnia, which is a long and winding 30 minute drive thru mountains from here (and they don't have street lights so plan to be back before dark if you value your life). Terme di Saturnia tho was EXCEPTIONAL!!! Well worth staying a night to see. Well worth even all the hassle involved in staying here, I would say. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Italy.

There is no free parking at hotel. The pay-for-parking lot is up a hill and around a corner so get ready to haul that luggage again!

Nice enough breakfast - the usual cake, coffee & cold cuts plus yogurt that are standard Italian breakfast fare. I think they had about 12 cakes so if you are sweets person, this is your breakfast place. I wish more Italian hotels offered eggs but that is just me dreaming out loud.

All in all, had she not overcharged us I would say it was 'good enough'. But the steep overcharge left me feeling pretty disappointed with this place. Cute but not worth the headaches and if you are going for Saturnia there are closer options.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Rossi? Share your experiences!