“A Delightful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Beccles B&B and Inns
Fenstanton, United Kingdom
“A Delightful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Innovative design and immense thought has obviously gone into the total renovation of the accommodation, incorporating modern features married seamlessly with a ‘real tree wood’ environment - retaining a traditional style with all the expected accoutrements of modern life.

I wasn’t going to mention the stunningly appointed William room, beautifully fitted by a local cabinet-maker using fine oak, where the only focus was obviously on quality. The soft furnishings were both tasteful and of a similar standard making the stay a delight.

The other issue I intended to avoid, was making any reference to the excellent food which arrived in generous portions. A nicely balanced and very reasonably priced wine list was also a pleasant surprise. The wines available were all from good honest sources.

The real purpose for writing was to address a most important aspect of ‘a good stay’ - the persons who can make it all happen.

The warmth and professionalism of the staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble, really did make the experience noteworthy, hence this posting. They totally reflect Roland and Carmela’s enthusiasm and commitment to a very worthy enterprise.

There is of course, always a downside. In this case it was of my own making - I should have booked for a longer stay! However, I can remedy this by returning later.

Well done, Roland and Carmela!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland B, Owner at Swan House Boutique Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
So pleased you mentioned the 'immense thought and innovative design'. It's rewarding for us to know that even the smallest details that we worried over, are important to the whole experience of visiting Swan House. Thank you!

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We found this by accident but the moment we were greeted we knew we had found a beauty!
We stayed in Jerimiahs room which has a loft - twin beds inside with a ladder - our Son (10) loved it! It gave us a little privacy which was nice.
Bed was very comfortable, and the whole room spoke of elegance and romance ( Son aged 10 ruined this lol)
Personally I did not like the mural on the wall depicting Beccles as I don't think it suited the room but that is the only thing I did not like.
If we were visiting the area again I would definitely stay again - cannot recommend this quirky little place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013
Very pleased to read you 'found a beauty'. Thanks for taking the time to review us
Wendover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Rooms have been nicely designed. Would have foregone some of the clothes storage for a bigger ensuite facility, but we chose to take the wet room and have the balcony, rather than the room with the bath. Perfectly placed in the centre of a pretty riverside market town, and very convenient for Norwich, the Broads, Great Yarmouth, and the Suffolk coast.

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks for the 'Trip' review. Pleased you enjoyed!
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Checked in and was greeted by the owner - very helpful and polite. No hard pressure to dine with them BUT boy am I glad I did! The food was AWESOME... Very polite staff, very helpful, very nice atmosphere and not expensive (makes a change!)

The room is spotless and has a nice cosy feeling to it! Well worth the extra money if you want to enjoy your time away from home and why wouldn't you.

If I'm on business in this neck of the woods again I wouldn't bother looking for an alternative.

Room Tip: The room advertised for small lovers is great if you want to enjoy an intimate night... For a more s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks Russ for taking the time to tell how you enjoyed your stay with us. Much appreciated
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Driving up from London on a snowy winter evening, all I wanted to do was get off the road and relax. It was all quite good at the start but as soon as you scratched the surface, it wasn't that great.

I should note up front that this was for accommodation and not dinner which so many reviews are for.

Cons:
The room was not made up overnight. Plates were left in the room which had had cheese on them from the night before.

Staff who couldn’t be found for almost 10 minutes but were heard laughing behind the scenes.

No ironing facilities! Now I was here for a wedding, and I had to find a dry cleaner on the Saturday morning and was able to get sorted out. But you’d expect an iron if requested.

The bed had good quality linens, but the bed itself was small, and was simply an old bed with a cheaply slapped together base and not overly comfortable.

Heating was completely insufficient. It was about -5 degrees Celsius and when the fire was roaring and you were in front of it, it was wonderful, but when the fire was out it was freezing.

The bathroom heating was non existent. The wet room was a great idea, but bitterly cold to use at this time of year, especially after one short shower the hot water ran out.

The mirror for use whilst seated was positioned so high that a person who was 6ft tall could not use it and was looking directly at a piece of wood.

Now I brought up these issues with the owner at the end of our stay. He seemed disinterested and a tad gruff. I certainly wouldn’t be returning, and after staying 2 nights at around £125 a night, this place was an utter rip off.

Certainly not worth the money at all.

Lastly, he needs to get a grip on his marketing. I received an email offer in the week leading up to my stay offering me their last room at a cut price £80. You don’t send those sorts of emails to guests, but then again I couldn’t imagine his email targeting would be that sophisticated. Talk about a way to annoy a customer.

Pros:
One staff member who checked us in and brought us firewood. But that’s what I would have expected.

Breakfast was fine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Roland B, Owner at Swan House Boutique Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Sorry to write that I feel your review of us is both misinformed and most unreasonable. Firstly as you have left it five months to write this review, our ability to check your complaints is impossible. However, I can point out the following: When we light log fires in the bedrooms, we generally reduce the radiator temperatures for you as well for obvious reasons. Your room had four rads and any could of course have been reversed by you at any time, as our heating runs throughout the night. We definitely do have ironing facilities. The bathroom mirrors are positioned at face level for standing use, and as an alternative, we have a separate vanity mirror and desk within the dressing room which is a perfect height for those seated.

Regarding being "an utter rip off" I will say this. If you can offer me a room of similar qualities in such a beautiful and well situated location as Beccles, I will quite happily return your £250 for the two nights. So the brief to match is (and readers can see the Eln room portfolio on TripAdvisor now):

A wonderfully atmospheric 28sq metre Jacobean double room with an open inglenook log fireplace and library. The room includes an 18th century carved bed fitted with wonderfully comfortable mattress (see many other visitor reviews), Egyptian cotton and 17th carved chest. A 37inch 'smart' Samsung flat screen TV, coupled with an mp3 audio link to our sound system for personal playback and free access to an extensive film library of over 10,000 films, as well as free internet access. An en suite ‘wet room’ walled in Italian marble and served by Aqualisa shower. All fixed furnishings, solid oak floors, study desk, wardrobes and vanity desk have been hand built by local craftsman David Paton. Soft furnishings by Liberty. Original art by Turner nominated artist Su Ling Wang and 'Saatchi' collected artist Sehnez Hanslot. Table and wall lighting hand built to our specifications by local craftsman Johan Ribenfors using locally 'found' materials. And all this before we even consider the exquisite 3 course breakfast (again see visitor reviews). Still "an utter rip off"?

If you think I'm being defensive, too right I am. Good luck!
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a fabulous treat in a gorgeous place. A night in the terrific Seth's room, so cosy - very modern but managing to feel wonderfully traditional too . Had a great nights sleep, the bed was very comfortable with luxuriant pillows and duvet.The menu for evening meals / dinner was varied - from easily recognised dishes to something a bit different , and all very reasonable priced. The food was presented beautifully, tasted excellent and was served by lovely staff. And then an added bonus - live music in the lounge with a great guitarist playing classical and South American music - a joy to sit on the homely sofa with a glass of delicious red and completely relax - somethig a single woman cannot always do . And breakfast - well what can I say that would do it justice - except what I said at the time - WOW . I can't recommend The Swan House enough and hope I am lucky enough to be able to return . The owners and staff were really welcoming and helpful . It was such a pleasure that I had to do this review having never been on Tripadvisor before !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Roland B, Owner at Swan House Boutique Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you Mylene for such an enthusiastic review. Being a safe and friendly Inn for any single person to enjoy, is very much a part of what Swan House is about.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A friend treated my wife and I to a night at the swan house. We stayed in Seth room. We arrived and were shown around the room by Roland. He gave a guided "Tour" of our room briefly explaining all the features. As I'm just over 6 foot he offered us an "upgrade" to a larger room, as Seth room has some beautiful beams at head height. We declined as Seth was particularly characterful. Lovely furniture and furnishings. The wet room is finished with a Fired Earth quality, and the shower in my wife's words is epic. We would recommend a stay for sure. Have a look at the rooms on line to decide which suits your needs best. Lovely crisp white linen, proper mattresses, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the historic character of the Seth room.

Been to Swan House Boutique Inn? Share your experiences!