“You got the best of everything” 5 of 5 stars

Kingfisher Resort
Sitio Aprot Brgy Caparispisan, Pagudpud, Luzon 2919, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Pagudpud B&B and Inns
Las Pinas, Philippines
“You got the best of everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am the kind of person who loves adventures; I love strenuous activities that would let me explore and experience nature at its best. But at the end of the day, I always want a perfect spot for me to rest and unwind after my day full of adventure.

I was with my family at the time. We just called the night before to book us a room so that we won’t need to go back to Vigan after we tour around Norte (plus I’d really want to spend the night in Pagudpud). We were able to reserve two cheap rooms for us (we are a group of 6).

When we were on our way to the resort, we were quite anxious on the distance that we were traveling. Many of the resorts were only a few kms away from the Pagudpud arc. Then there was like a 6km rough road that we have to pass by and the signs were very small which made us doubt on its authenticity.

But you know, we just laughed it off when we discovered the place.

There are tiki huts and ocean view rooms that are cheap but don’t have bathrooms. But since it was initially our reservation, we have checked inside and found all of it clean and well prepared. Though, it was a little inconvenient for us to go out in the middle of the night if we need to use the bathroom. We asked for a casita with a loft. They were kind enough to allow us to add our two companions (since the casita has a max of 4 persons). We only paid 4,000 and 600 per excess person for the overnight use. The bathroom is exquisite and they have prepared imported shampoos and body wash for guest use. They have a 42 inch TV, if I can remember it correctly and a 1-2 TB where you can find great movies to watch (no cable reception in the area) so to sum this up, movie experience was superb.

Summer is a low season for the resort since the winds a little quiet during this time. Their peak season is during October to March where many foreigners visit the place to do wind surfing -- which they are starting to promote already.

The staffs are all humble and nice. You can easily ask for favors. Even the owners are very accommodating and entertaining. They also have dogs in the resort that’s why I highly recommend this to dog lovers. They are adorable, especially Beaver who went swimming with me at the beach. He never leaves you and will even play with you!

There is actually not much crowd here. Few couples (mostly foreigners) and a small group of people were staying. You will be able to unwind and release your stress because there are no annoying groups that are loud and distracting. It’s like you are staying in an exclusive coffee shop, with soft music and…well, go figure.

The beach is safe for kids too. There is no current, unlike in Blue Lagoon as they told us. The waters are shallow and there’s a barrier just a few meters away so the waves are tolerable in the shore. Although there are seaweeds underwater, the water is perfectly clean and cool. The wind is not humid, even if its summer.

They also have a Rec (recreation) room where they have a Wii (?). You can dance and play games! They have books in the open lounge and other games like Uno to keep you entertained when you’re already off the beach and done with movies.

Food prices are acceptable. It is worth every cent. They prepare fresh and one of kind dishes. They have below zero beers too!

Overall, this place is worth the travel. The thing that struck me most is that you do not need to pay so much to be able to have a high level of experience. Unlike in other hotel/resorts, every move or every request equals to a certain amount of money. They provide you the best of everything.

On our last hour, they even gave us complimentary halo halo which I rarely experience in a resort.

I will definitely go back to this place! I’m not even sure If I’ve already explained how happy and satisfied I am on my stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I usually go on vacation alone and look for contact with people from all of the world, want to come in contact with the local people and need a lot of nature - but I am not a surfer at all. I found my place here (was there already twice and it was not the last visist for sure). It is in mids of nature, a wonderfull beach with very clear water and a nice riff, trees and grasland around, no big hotels, no stress at all. But nontheless, the management is top, the food really really good, friendly, honestly smiling staff and everything is clean and well ordered. If you want to be alone to read and dream, it is easy, just take a hammock or go some meters at the beach. If you want companion, just go to the surf center or to the main building. In the mainbuilding there is a big table, where most of the people sit and chat. So even as a single you are not separeted at all - if you want so. And if you need some action but don't want to surf - take a canoe, it is so easy to handle and fun, take a motorbike, it's easy as well and you can manage the trip by yourselfe, or go hiking. It's a nice walk down to the nearby bay and further to the river, up the river on a road to the highway and with the tricicle back to Kingfisher - wonderfull pictures of rice fields, traditional houses, smiling people and some chatting guaranteed (4h walk). Or go by tricicle to Hannas, skip this spoiled place but just follow the way at the beach. You will have a wonderfull daywalk under trees, at beaches, you come along stingray memorial, fisher houses ... Takes roundabout a day. And for the contact with the local people - just have some privat talk to the staff or go down to ayoyo bay and chat with the people at the store.
In short: you will feel home there very soon and have a lot of possibilities for activity beside surfing.

Room Tip: If you don't need toilet and shower in your room, really take the beach hut. I seldom slept that...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Accomodation
(+) We stayed in Casita 2. Kingfisher's accommodation are new, in sync with modern trends in interior design. Great accommodation facilities equipped with hot shower, HD Samsung television loaded with movies, series, and concerts where you can watch to your heart's content.
(-) There is no local channel here, no cable TV, no mobile phone and broadband signal. Although bed sheets are clean, it was obvious that the room hasn't been used for a long time since there are dust and spider webs.

If you want a quiet place where you can escape, where you cannot be reached by anyone and just want to relax. This is the place for you. But if you're the type of person who is techie and could not live without internet and mobile phone signal, consider another place.

Staff
(+) Staff are friendly
(-) They need to improve with their training. There was no one who welcomed us when we arrived there, they just looked at me until I asked a girl where is their front desk. When we were unloading our luggages from our car to the casita, there was no one helping until they were told to do so.

(+) Food is ok. I like their Chicken burrito. I understand food will be pricey since they are very far from the town proper.

Beach
The beach is not really a place to swim but a place to go windsurfing/kiting. They have a lagoon where you can walk around and swim without waves but we were warned by a local that there are sea urchins around the area. We wanted to rest that night at the beach front but there are mosquitoes (sigh).

Location
Very far from the town with 90% rough road on our way there. I would not advise anyone to travel here at night as it gets really dark with no streetlights and very few houses along the road. Also, if you're the type who will not be satisfied with a single spot and wants to move around the area to explore, I will not suggest Kingfisher. Going here will take around 30-45 minutes from the highway. and about 4km away from other beach resorts.

So what we did is to spent one night here, explore Kabigan falls early morning of the following day, then went back to Vigan to enjoy Binatbatan festival.

One last suggestion, since their place is very far from the town, they might want to atleast consider hiring a security guard. The place is too far to ask for help in case of an emergency.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went here with my wife and three kids. It was our first time at Kingfisher and second visit to Pagudpud. After reading the reviews here at Trip Advisor I reserved a Casita with loft for an overnight stay. Place was quiet and clean. Bath and toilet was setup with big containers of shampoo and assorted body wash as well as family size bar soap, alcohol and cotton buds were also available. Dryer is available upon request. Room had a flat screen tv with in-house child friendly movies .The staff was very accommodating and courteous. Food was good and reasonably priced and servings were quite hefty. We arrived at around 4pm, went for a short swim and was greeted by Beever and T-rex the two most friendliest dogs ever. My kids enjoyed playing with them as they are also excellent swimmers. We went kayaking before the sun set and had a lot of fun. In the evening Mon arrived and greeted us, he was very accommodating and even offered us free dessert after dinner. The kids played Xbox with kinect at the Rec room before going to bed. We decided to skip movies and hit the sack early. Next morning we woke up at 10am, one of the best sleep I've had in years! Went for a short dip and packed our stuff. Mon was very hospitable and again offered us free halo-halo ( a local summertime dessert) to beat the summer heat. Our kids kept asking when we will come back even when we hadn't left the resort yet. My mistake was that I had also booked a hotel in Vigan for the following night, if not we all would have wanted to stay another night or two at this peaceful and wonderful place. Even though Kingfisher is known in the International scene as a Kite-surfing spot, I would say it is also a nice place for family bonding and my family and I look forward to next summer so we can comeback to this hidden paradise in Ilocos Norte.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed for 3 nights with kids
Good - isolated and safe, good management, friendly service, good food
Bad - the beach itself is not as good as neighbouring Saud beach, 12-hours drive from Manila (but worth it)
Tips - use hotel's restaurant, the food is excellent and reasonably priced (our bill for 3 full days was USD 320 for 2 adults and 3 kids); bring enough cash, the nearest ATM is over hour drive and cards are not accepted; having a car is useful for half-day trips to nice neighbouring white sand beaches; beachfront huts are nice but have no toilets, choose cabanas if you travel with small kids.
All in all, excellent choice for holiday makers, and not only windsurfers

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My 3rd time to go back and see how the resort has been growing, stayed for a week. The price was very reasonable with the comforts of a 5 star hotel. Food was excellent and there rooms were all clean. The staff friendly as ever believe me they don't bother you they let you be. After a stressful quarter in Manila a break from the city life is what I needed and Kingfisher delivered no stress at all. I have been around the Philippines and it is in Kingfisher that I have decide to spend my long weekends which my budget can afford. Keep up the good work.................

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place is great and well worth the bumpy 15-20 min ride past most of the other resorts/hotels when leaving from Pagudpud.

Positives:
- Incredible family feel without any concern for the overrun feel of so many other places.
- Well maintained, continually cleaned shared bathrooms (if you have a room that calls for using) that are always fully stocked with every toiletry you could need.
- Vast, well thought out menu serving large quality meals from approx 150-300 for entrees. American, European, various Asian and local dishes. Lots of healthy options as well.
- Water service center where you can get kayaks, long and short boards, stand up paddles, windsurf equipment, and of course kite surfing! Lessons and rental equipment are extra.
- Great covered, open air dining hall/meeting area to eat, drink, grab a book, socialize, play pool, let the day go by, etc etc etc...
- Engaging help staff that seemed to really enjoy their jobs.

Cons:
- Little to no phone reception. Weak wifi connection that's only available in the commons area.
- Isolated location where you're not able to access anything else on foot.
- Surfing beach not ideal for swimming.

Overall a wonderful WONDERFUL stay that I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend or return for another weekend. Hope and trust your stay will be just as good!

Room Tip: If you're in a hut, requesting one facing the beach. They'll be benches and chair along wit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kingfisher Resort? Share your experiences!