“Booking Problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hamersay House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Uist
Hamersay House
You added Hamersay House to your Saves list
Lochmaddy, HS6 5AE, Scotland (Formerly Tigh Dearg Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Uist
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Booking Problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I booked two double rooms for ourselves and friends in July 2013 (Eleven months before we were due) to ensure that we had excellent rooms as requested. I was assured that all would be well and confirmation was received at the time of booking and again in January 2014. Unfortunately the ferry was late and we could not book in until 20.00 hours but rang the hotel to advise them of this delay. Once again assured that this was no problem. You can imagine our disappointment and anger that when checking in my husband and I were "dumped" in the disabled room. They could do nothing but apologise as the hotel was full but it was most inconvenient as my tall husband had to wash in a sink that was level with his knees! Beware of this and double check before arriving!!!

Room Tip: Do not have the Disabled a Room unless you are disabled!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Guildford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was our first trip to Uist and we booked Hamersay House after first being recommended to the Langass Lodge and being disappointed because Langass was fully booked for the nights we wanted. Hamersay was until recently the Tigh Dearg and painted Cherry Red. I mention this because the old name is listed in the current editions of several guides and the hotel is now painted a strong blue! We agree with other reviewers that this is a friendly place. We enjoyed two very good breakfasts. Our room was very well appointed with chairs for relaxation and plenty of electrical sockets. The bathroom let the room down a bit and could benefit from some pointing work round the bath. We also noticed a bit of noise from other floors and corridors although this did not worry us.

Room Tip: Noise from other floors and corridors could be a problem so ask about soundproofing if you are a lig...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The accommodation had EVERYTHING this Tripadvisor reviewer wants . In fact I want the Hamersay to be everywhere I go – it was that good ! The room was really spacious with everything you need – plenty of laying out space, hanging space and a large and roomy bathroom and shower . Power points in abundance, bedroom chairs, a place for your suitcase and a gigantic comfortable bed.
Yes I was a happy person when I saw this accommodation and the standard and quality. The rest of the place is equally as good – this is without doubt the single best review I have ever given as a senior Tripadvisor reviewer. We dined in the restaurant and enjoyed a lovely meal served by a great cohesive team of 3 waitresses . Our pre-dinner drinks, menu selection and ordering was taken by Emma(!) who was bright, cheery and happy !
I cannot rate this high enough – in my opinion I thought it brilliant – I am serious when I say everywhere should aspire to this level !

Room Tip: The BEST place in the whole geographical are of The Islands
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the night of our wedding. We were able to check in prior to going to Lochmaddy Hotel for our Wedding reception. Room was ok, went down for breakfast in the morning. Considering that this Hotel is owned by the same people as Langass Lodge I assumed it would have the same quality of food and service. How wrong I was... there was one waitress to serve probably around 18 people. I noticed that one woman complained about her food, we soon realised why...After waiting around 15minutes for our food it arrived. To say we were shocked is an understatement.... why on earth give customers half a slice of haggis?? The scrambled eggs looked like they'd been cooked in oil and had burnt bits through them. The black pudding was so dry it was falling apart. The only plus side was the bacon was burnt which is how we like it!! If only we'd been able to stay at Lochmaddy Hotel at least we would have got value for money in relation to the food!!! Hamersay you need to provide better breakfast for the amount of money people are paying per night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here one night prior to catching the ferry. The welcome from the staff on arrival and then during our entire stay was very friendly. The hotel is a short distance from the rest of the village but it is a pleasant walk down to the harbour either before or after dinner.
The room was comfortable and well furnished and with a nice view. The only negative point was that the soundproofing is not that good and people in other rooms and the corridor can be clearly heard.
The menu at dinner had a seafood bias that suited us really well. However we did over hear the staff offering dinners other options that were not on the main menu and felt this was extremely accommodating.
The cod starter along with mains of Plaice and Sole were very nicely cooked and presented and thoroughly enjoyed.
Breakfast the next day had a really nice buffet selection and apart from the normal cooked had again more fish (brilliant). Overall a very nice stay and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The restaurant serves non-resident customers.

Our welcome was warm and appropriate and service good. The meal was very well cooked and presented and over the three courses well balanced. The menu is strong on local produce and the fish dishes are particularly successful.

Desserts are a bit predictable but can provide an attractive way of completing the meal.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We had escaped from our booked accomodation, arriving at the reception desk at 7:30pm. We received a warm welcome, a choice of rooms and were pleased to find a range of local bottled beers, all of which were hauled out for perusal. Good supper, very good breakfast, charming and helpful staff- thank you all for a very enjoyable visit

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamersay House? Share your experiences!