“Nice food. Shame about the rest of the clientèle.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hampshire, England
“Nice food. Shame about the rest of the clientèle.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Being surrounded by stag heads on the walls plus cases of birds' eggs is one thing.
Being surrounded by braying, arrogant 'hunters' organising sweepstakes on how many species they might shoot the following day was quite another.
Sure this place is a 'traditional hunting lodge' but I would have hoped the shoot-anything (and I mean anything) attitude had gone out of fashion decades ago. If you want to spend an evening listening to the outmoded worldviews of the hunting classes then this is your place; if you'd rather keep your dinner down then I'd avoid eating here.

Shame, as the food was actually very good, only the talk in the restaurant and in the bar afterwards made us feel sick, and we left in a hurry.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
uistIwasthere, Manager at Langass Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I am very pleased that you found our food very good, but disappointed that we were unable to anticipate that you would overhear the discussions of some of our other guests and were therefore prevented from ensuring you would not take offence at their conversation. I am afraid we are a small business and cannot afford to turn any guests away especially at this time of year.

It takes all sorts to make this world but if you are alleging that these people may have been shooting protected species we would advise you to contact the local RSPB we would be happy to supply a telephone number if required.

I am also sorry that you took issue with the decor of the Lodge, the stags heads are real but the birds eggs are plaster of paris and skifully painted to resemble the true eggs of the various species. We are proud recipients of a Gold Green Tourisim Business award and work hard to lessen our impact on the Enviroment whilst doing our best to enhance and protect it.
Amanda

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Arrogant attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

What a shame, our meal could so easily have been great. We arrived with a group who had booked in for a bar meal. However the menu was rather short and not terribly imaginative, so we enquired about the restaurant menu to be told that they would not serve us from it unless the entire group of 10 agreed and we all moved to the restaurant area.

Having just spent almost £30 on a bottle of wine, I was a bit miffed to realise that there was not a singe started I would like. But not to worry I thought, surely there would be something on the vegetarian menu instead? But alas no, boring soup and halumi were the only offerings. So guys, stop being so anal and start to remember that you are in a service industry. If a customer wants to spent more money in your establishment, why stop them.

As for the rest of the meal a bit of a catalogue of basic errors. my husbands game terrine was lovely, but as I dont like the taste of game ( hence the reston for not ordering it) was a bit of a let down for him, 2 friends ordered cod and then were dished up battered fish and chip. Yes they made the mistake of not specifify the cod loin as opposed to the fish and chips, but any decent waitress should have confirmed. (Alas they did hit want to make a fuss). The gluten free terrine arrived with oatcakes containing gluten, and when asked abut the ox cheek the waitress explained that although it was coated in flour, it all came off in the cooking. ( yes, into the sauce... come on chef, stop trying to poison my friend and get an understanding of how serious celiac disease can be). Also, to cap it all off the portions of potatoes was mean, and luke warm, the vegetables arrived late and luke warm and the ketchup my husband asked for arrived after he had finished eating.

I will admit however that this is the best place to eat in the island, but only because the other places dish up food either from the freezer, microwave or deep fat fryer. In a more populated area, this place would last 5 minutes.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your Bar meal here at Langass Lodge. Because everything is completely freshly cooked to order we are unable to offer the huge choice of dishes you may find in other establishments. On the night you dined we did have 5 choices of starter and 7 choices of main course combined with 2 choices of each on the vegetarian menu, fortunately this is enough choice for by far the majority of people who appreciate that we specialise in local Seafood and Game.

Please understand that the Restaurant is effectively a different establishment, with different pricing, service and organisation, we did not have a table available in the restaurant for a party of your size as your table had been booked in the Bar.

Our waitress should have confirmed which Cod your colleagues required and I apologise that your husband did not enjoy his terrine and that you did not get enough potatoes, but these are all things we would have been very quick to rectify if you had mentioned them at the time. It was very kind of other members of your party to tip the waitresses so generously in spite of your bad experience.

Thank you for your comments they are always appreciated and where possible acted upon.
Amanda
Leeds
“Luxury in all courses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Although there are a few choices on the menu combined with the vegetarian menu, they are all full of flavour and choices. My partner had the wild mushroom risotto (creamy risotto with earthy, tasty mushrooms), the steak (so tender, could cut it so easily without a steak knife) and the blueberry creme brulee (fresh blueberres in a creamy brulee with crunchy topping). I had the game terrine, the lobster and the cheese & biscuits. All cooked so very well, seasoned beautifully and the service was outstanding. Just stunning, cooked simply and effortlessly...thank you

Visited June 2012
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Fish supper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had a great walk with spectacular views of the standing stones and Eaval with surrounding lochs and countryside. I then had the turbot for tea it was very nice and well presented with fresh vegetables.

Visited July 2011
Bury, United Kingdom
“"Fabulous"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Recomended by our hosts we were not disappointed, wonderful meal, so much so we decided to come back the next evening before moving onto Harris. Fine food and well kept beer so made hubby happy! Nice view whilst dinning what more could you want. Waiters very pleasent & helpful.

• Visited April 2012