“Expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lochmaddy Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Uist
Lochmaddy Hotel
You added Lochmaddy Hotel to your Saves list
Bayhead, Lochmaddy, HS6 5DS | Lochmaddy, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in North Uist
Airdire
“Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Considering the price for our room we expected better. Our room was dull and dark the furniture was all marked with cup staines but most of all the bathroom suite was blue and outdated. The room really needed a makeover. The staff told us they were full all summer therefore, some of the profits should be put back into the business and revamp the rooms. On the plus side the food was really good and frienly staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night and received a lovely welcome on reception. The hotel could perhaps do with some upgrading, but was clean and comfortable. We had a room at the front looking over the water which was beautiful. There was a very good bar and the food was very good. I would say it is a medium quality hotel but did its job well.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here and found it to be a perfectly good base for a couple of nights. In my view the hotel is typical of the genre, i.e. a privately owned Scottish country hotel, which is why it may attract some undeserved criticism.

With such hotels it always saddens me to see the usual criticisms of "tired", "needs a refurb" etc etc - and while you could accept such criticism re a Holiday Inn or a Premier Inn, where large corporations have lots of cash, it is invariably a longer and much slower process with private hotels, where money is tighter and customer numbers are lower;and people need to understand the difference.

The people who currently own this hotel actually tell people that they are undertaking a refurbishment programme, so those in rooms that have yet to be done are thanked for their patience. You can't say fairer than that, and as long as your room, bedding etc is clean - you can surely live with it.

I don't know if our room (Room 15) has been refurbished or is still on the "to do" list, but it was a perfectly fine room with good views of the loch. It would however benefit from three very small improvements, which I trust the owners won't mind me mentioning.

First of all, the provision of a few coasters or mats to put hot cups on would prevent further additions to the unsightly rings left on the furniture.
Secondly, a little wall rack or tray in the shower cubicle would prevent you having to put the soap on the shower floor (eugh!).
And thirdly, ditch the wardrobe hanger system. The plastic "cups" are so worn that the slightest nudge will result in the hangers, clothes and all landing on a heap on the floor. Ditch the cups and just use ordinary hangers.
I reckon you could achieve all three things for about a tenner - and it would make a big difference.

In my view the hotel has the tired charm of an old country hotel and oozes history re the countless numbers of people from all walks of life who have stayed here over so many decades. It is ideally located, is perfectly comfortable; good value; and has a good bar. The staff we met were all helpful and polite and the food was excellent. (I have reviewed the food separately on Trip Advisor under "Lochmaddy Lounge Bar".

Room Tip: Try to get one with a loch view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here due to arriving late at night before checking into our holiday cottage. This hotel is in need of some TLC. The welcome was poor. The room was clean but old and jn need of decoration. There was no shower and only a bath. We cancelled staying on our return and booked an earlier ferry. Aside from the accommodation itself, the breakfast was excellent! Okay if you need to stay for the ferry and simply need a bed. £99 for one night was in my view overpriced compared to other hotels in the mainland where for that price you would get far better quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these North Uist hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location a minute from ferry. Great views over the bay. Lovely breakfast room. Comfortable homely residents lounge. Enjoyed the bar
Also good to see high quality local produce on the menu. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay on stunning island...great for bird watching.

• Stayed August 2013
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Ordered a 'Trio of Scallops' from the menu board (see pic)
When the starter arrived there were only two scallops on the plate. I informed the waitress of the trio to duo situation. After 5 mins she had not returned and my starter is getting cold I went up to the bar to speak with her. "Your starter is supposed to have two scallops" I explained that your menu board says a trio which means three. Response "not our fault" and she walked off.

On paying for the meal I explained to the barman that you cannot charge for 3 items if you only receive 2 items on your plate. He agreed and I explained that I should pay 2/3 of the price. He said how about £1 off? I said no and asked him what 2/3 of £6.50 was? I agreed to pay £4.50 for the starter.

As I left the bar the original waitress asked the barman why he was giving me money off my bill. They then started a conversation pointing over at our table and making comments which were clearly derogatory towards myself and family.
On leaving as my wife said good night they did not even respond!
Sad that after spending £65 in a restaurant the staff feel they can treat customers in this fashion.

The manager of this establishment must give his staff a lesson in customer relations and maybe explain that it is paying customers who pay their wages and which in turn gives them a job.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Liked the hotel. Lass who checked us in was grand. Evening bar staff random at best. Food good. Rooms fine. Need updating and furniture tired, but bathrooms lovely.

All in all, fine for the price paid, and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Lochmaddy Hotel? Share your experiences!