“Staff all fantastic - hotel not so good” 2 of 5 stars

You added Dark Island Hotel to your Saves list
Dark Island Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Liniclate, HS7 5PJ , Scotland   |
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Staff all fantastic - hotel not so good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Good point: All the staff we came across were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble, and they went out of their way to help and solve problems. I can't thank them enough.

However, the hotel itself was not so good. An unkempt garden area at the front gave a bad impression as we arrived, and one of the front windows (hopefully not a guest room!) was covered in bird poo.

Our room looked quite nice, but the bed had seen better days - the mattress was hard and uncomfortable. When I did get to sleep, I was woken frequently throughout the night by the headboard in the next room knocking the wall every time the occupant moved, and an uncurtained window above the door meant that there was light pouring in from the corridor all night. This all led to a very bad night’s sleep. The second night, we persuaded our neighbours to pull their bed away from the wall, and I asked for some more bedding to put on top of the mattress, and had a much better night.

The food wasn’t brilliant.

I am sorry to say that I wouldn’t recommend this hotel, and would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel as part of a coach tour to the Outer Hebrides. We were late arriving but the staff were welcoming and served up a very good dinner as soon as we got in. The tables were very atractively set out and the food was hot and plentiful with a good choice. The room was on the small side but perfectly adequate for the length of stay. The view from the window was wonderful and the hotel is located quite close to a beautiful beach. We would certainly go back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I didn't fancy the full cooked breakfast this morning so I ventured to ask them for a couple of boiled eggs and toast. The waitresss said it would take quite a while - I told her it would only take 3 minutes. She returned from the kitchen to relay the "chefs" message that I couldn't have it. Okay maybe it serves me right to dare ask for something as exotic as a boiled egg.
The previous evening the pint of 80 was a bit whiffy - I took it to the barman who had a smell it and said it was fine. Honestly the script writers for faulty towers could get a few gems from this crowd.
While im at it, I'll tell you the story of the last time I had to stay there a few years back. The bed was damp - I couldn't be bothered fussing because, as you will have noted, customer service is not there strong point so I used a sleeping bag I happened to have in the car and slept on top of the bed. I thought the shower tiles were 70s brown but on closer inspection it was fungal spores that gave the cream tiles their darker hue. I didn't have that problem/room today though to be fair.
I think a bit of training and someone to point out what it means to provide a service to customers would be in order.
If this does not happen you would be much calmer and enjoy the serene beauty of Benbecula if you stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hotel is in a nice setting with a beach within walking distance. Room was pleasant enough, we were there for 2 nights on a coach trip. Staff were very friendly, food was just average, nothing special, the bar/lounge was comfortable. The shower didn't work properly. The old-fashioned TV on the wall wasn't in a comfortable position for watching it, only about 3 channels on the TV! But the hotel is quite nice for a short stay, the staff were very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After looking at the notes and scores on here i was concernede about the hotel . But how wrong were the comments . Rooms were very clean and tidy . Food was very good and reasonably priced . The bar staff were exceptional and made the stay so good . Thanks to Yaiza and Daniel for looking after us . Cheers from kevin & phil

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
West Lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, we liked it. Nice lounge bar, where we ate. The menu's the same if you're in the bar or restaurant. Fairly extensive menu, predominantly pub grub with some local specials there too. We loved the venison chilli. Bar staff were good. Very reasonably priced whiskey's.
As it was a Sunday and the community school next door was closed we assumed the pool was off limits, so strolled to the beach behind the hotel instead - passing beside the huge wind turbine, which is remarkably quiet. Seals were seen swimming just off shore :-)
The room was a good size, with an en suite bathroom. No decor issues but definitely not a modern hotel...chunky wooden furniture was present but that fits the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

After reading reviews for this hotel, and having booked it as a last resort when everywhere else was full, I wasn't looking forward to it.
However, it seems to me, everyone else who has written reviews is over dramatic or expecting some sort of boutique hotel on Uist!
We arrived at 9:45pm and everywhere had stopped selling food, so being starving we asked the reception for ideas. The lady on reception gave us directions to a local Chinese take away, recommended their specials and then let us take the food back to our rooms.
Our rooms were two of their "economy singles", one of which actually ended up being a large twin room. Although both rooms were basic, and the single was very small, they were cosy and clean and both had en suites and televisions.
The breakfasts at the hotel were lovely; the food was great and the staff were very helpful. We also ate in the hotel one evening and it was very busy and the food was good.
As well as being central to both north and south Uist, the location of this hotel was great; right on a beach and right next to a local school where you could use the pool facilities.

Overall, I would stay in the Dark Island again; if you're looking for a basic stopover, with comfy beds, en suites, helpful staff and good breakfasts, then it's or you. If you're going to the outer Hebrides with the idea of staying in a fancy upmarket room, then don't, perhaps a posh b&b is more your thing!

Room Tip: Despite the warnings of avoiding the slanted roof rooms, I was in one and it was fine!