“Designed for Couples” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Villa de Leyva
Bogota, Colombia
“Designed for Couples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to book a suite for a 3 night couple's getaway and it definitely lived up to the hype. The room was beautiful, well kept and clean. The suites with Jacuzzi have a very reasonable 90 minute a day policy which by far exceeds the use you will/should give the jacuzzi. Hot water was definitely not a problem, our suite came with a private heater that heated the shower in seconds. The fireplace was well equipped but we didn't use it for we found no need for it. The gardens surrounding the suites is very well maintained and a beauty to walk through, however it can feel a bit too steep when getting to the furthest suites but nothing that anyone with a below average physical state can't handle. The hotel area is extremely quiet which is a double-edged sword. On one hand rest is great because of the tranquility during the night, however since the hotel is so quiet any unwanted noise is perceived louder which can be an issue in the mid morning, if you had a long night ;) , once the staff and clients start roaming the area. The hotel grounds can also get a bit windy which can be loud inside the rooms. Of the 3 nights of our stay we only had one night where another couple stayed in the room in front of ours and noise from their room could not be heard inside ours, however conversation from the balcony of their room could be heard. On a side note the hotel is on a mountain side and opening a window at night with a light on will attract bugs that although harmless can be a nuisance. I would also beware of opening windows/balconies from 5-6:30 AM as this is the time where mosquitoes, although few, roam outside. On one of our nights a single, very loud mosquito, cost us around 2 and a half hours of sleep but it was our fault completely.

I feel like this hotel is definitely not a family hotel and is marketed accordingly for a romantic stay. It is important to note that every room in the hotel is unique providing lots of feels for planning and spicing up future stays. I would DEFINITELY recommend visiting the hotel's website, they have a very detailed catalog of the rooms with commodities, pictures and prices. I can vouch for the accuracy of the pictures of the room we stayed in. I would ALSO RECOMMEND you call the hotel for availability and specials, which are great. Booking directly with the hotel will give you a 30-35% discount on every weekday night, including Fridays, you book which is an unbeatable deal.

Overall a great stay that lived up to our expectations and in some regards exceeded them.

Ø

Room Tip: Higher rooms provide more privacy as some balconies are smack against the footpath.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Piscataway, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is just a magic place in a wonderful town. We loved it. The landscape, the service and the kindness of everybody working at this place, made it one of my best vacation places ever.
Discounted prices were also very helpful, and in general, a perfect place for a romantic, quiet and great intimate time.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Zar y Zarina. Very nice room with an awesome view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Suites Arco Iris last month...it was fabulous! We loved the mountain views and the natural surroundings. The colors were beautiful and breakfast in the balcony made this a very romantic stay! Highly recommend this for your next vacation.

Room Tip: Get the room with a jucuuzi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've been visiting Villa de Leyva for a few years now, and I had never have the opportunity to stay in this hotel. I saw the hotel in a web site a couple of years back and I thought then, that it looked beautiful and romantic. Last month, while I was staying in a centric hotel in Villa de Leyva, I decided to take the opportunity of enjoy this hotel with my girlfriend.We were looking to have a nice romantic night to celebrate my re-encounter with her. Eventhout Arco Iris looked like a nice place to stay, I knew that if I stay there it will be very inconvenient for me to go out and enjoy the town after the check in. Its kind of far from town and you have to drive in a very incline road (locals warn me), no pave and no lights at night. Any how, I went to to their website to book one of their cabins and I saw the offer for the week. The cabins that cover the offer looked amazing so, I decided to called them to booked directly. The person from the hotel told me to do a deposit in a bank but it didn't give me enough information so I had to called him back like five times while I was in the bank..very annoying. Then, I decided to go to the hotel early afternoon to do the check in and, mostly to see if it was better to drive there or to take a taxi. The area where the hotel is located is really beautiful; you can see the mountains and you can breath pure air, just wonderful. We did the check in... got the key and went to see where the the cabin was so we can find it later on at night time (they are more like cabins apart from each other). I asked the maid if they have wine in the room and, she said yes. We went back to town to have dinner and to shop a little before we come back to the hotel. We took a taxi and went back to the hotel around midnight. Then we notice that the cabin looked beat up and not that clean at all. The rest room was full of bugs (it seems it was an opening in the glass ceiling). Also the bed had a tons of women hair in the linens. It was funny because the hotel policy is to change the sheets every four days (that i'm more than ok with that) but at least give the guest the first set clean! to top it all off; there was a bottle of wine but not wine opener!. My girlfriend tried to find the wine opener, no luck, then she tried to open the bottle with a fork...I felt so bad because she did want to celebrate with a glass of wine on front of the fire place. The maid the opened the room in the afternoon gave us a a plastic card with the phone number to call the front desk but they were closed after 11pm. At the end, we felt like been in a cheap motel. The next morning we were supposed to get free breakfast but no luck there ether! We didn't find the restaurant? We did the check out and left. I saw great reviews for this hotel witch tell me that its a matter of luck to get good service here. My recommendation to people is to stay in any of the great hotels in town. Its going to be more romantic and you will have more things to do with your partner. Also you don't have to deal with bad roads, bad room service, bugs etc. Also is better to enjoy Villa de Leyva without worried about coming back to the hotel at any time at day or night. In Arco Iris you are in your own after 11pm...i wonder what the guess would do in case of an emergency? I can't picture that road in winter time, it has to be really dangerous! This bad experience won't stop me to come back to the Beautiful Villa de Leyva!!!

Room Tip: Check the cabins before you go if you can.I wont recommend to stay more than two nights because you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
suitesarcoiris, Gerente at Suites Arco Iris, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Mike,

We are very ashamed and frustrated about your bad experience during your stay at Hotel Arco Iris and that unfortunately, you were not one of the thousands guests who visit us and leave happy. We have a serious concern because of your discomfort, we have reviewed your complaint, and we believe that the channel of communication from you entry to the hotel was broken by the receptionist, because the first thing we do is to set the breakfast time with the guest since this is provided at the room, secondly; It seems that a preparation or routine daily check of the room was not carried out, this is usually done with reserves that have been previously cancelled and other guests are expected. It was also a failure of the maid who did not correct the misplaced glass ceiling since the hotel is located in the countryside and with an air intake it most likely will arise insects, to which rooms we have insecticide tablets, thirdly; that the person who made up the room did not use mesh to gather her hair since this is a hotel policy when changing lines, fourthly; that the staff failed to inform you there is a phone for emergencies enabled 24 hours, which is written on the card delivered. Regarding customer service in relation on the fireplaces, Jacuzzis and mid-volume music, there is a policy that allows their use until 10.30 pm, because with this measure we try there is no activity of any kind so that other guests may sleep in silence, and fifthly; that you did not indicate to the receptionist about the breakfast while checking out, the restaurant is adjacent to the reception, the hotel provides taxi service 24 hours, the road is in good condition although it’s unpaved, it’s dark at night because the hotel is located in a rural area, and last point Mr. Mike; It is that we do not find any registration or email in the months of March and April with the name that starts with Mike, therefore, we'd like to receive an email indicating at least week or month of their stay, to find those responsible for your bad experience at the hotel and take the appropriate corrective measures.

Since these reviews are opportunities for improvement in all our processes and services to achieve the satisfaction of our customers, as a result of your complaint, we have decided that the information provided in Spanish will be given in English, the hotel has hired a new receptionist who has a little knowledge of English to prevent this situations from happening again.

Mr Mike, to end this response we would like you to give us a second chance to visit the hotel and to realize that rooms comply with high quality standards, for this purpose we would like to invite you free of charge on your next visit to Villa de Leyva.
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.
Kind regards,

Hotel Manager
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Driving up the winding dirt road we were wondering what we had got ourselves into. That journey was well worth it the moment we laid eyes on the suites set into the mountainside above Villa de Leyva. The hosts were extremely friendly and accommodating and the rooms are exceptional. Each one is unique, beautiful inside and opening out to take full advantage of the views. We hiked up the nearby mountain after a delicious breakfast. One night was not enough.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night - wish is was more! Perfect place to relax and take in the mountains and countryside. Our room was excellent - very large, uniquely decorated and open. The surrounding mountains provide good hiking opportunities giving panoramic views of Villa de Leyva. Will definitely stay again if given the opportunity!

• Stayed January 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

if you are going to be in bogota, you must come here. it is a MUST-SEE/MUST-GO. The views are out of this word, the food is good and the service is great! Unfortunately, we only stayed for one night, i would have loved to have stayed longer and checked out more sites. My husband was sick so we just stayed in the room but it still felt like a vacation. the room was beautifully decorated, the views were spectacular, and room service was 24 hours (I think). They also had direct TV.

You must go! The only thing i would redo is go by ourselves: we went with my husband's family and the driver was an older gentleman who was terrified of driving his car up the mountain?!?! Getting there was a pain! But next time, I'll drive!!! It is so safe and the road had interlock bricks so there are really NO issues

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Suites Arco Iris? Share your experiences!