“Never judge a book by the cover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Achill Cliff House Hotel

You added Achill Cliff House Hotel to your Saves list
Achill Cliff House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Keel | Achill Island, Keel, Achill Island, Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Keel B&B and Inns
Overpelt, Belgium
“Never judge a book by the cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you look at the picture of Achill Cliff House , you'll easely think about a worn-out house. But nothing seemed that , as we got inside
At arrival we were lead to a very large room at the front.The safe in the closset gave me a good impression . You don't find them not often anymore in a room.
As a result of bad weather we stayed for dinner and found nothing wrong with the food and service. Maybe the wine was overpriced...... but we never asked the price before opening the bottle. Breakfast was fine .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I cant believe the negative reviews for this hotel with regard to food.We were stuck for someplace to eat and passed this hotel and decided to try it out as there were people inside eating and they always say if theres people eating there it has to be ok.Im a qualified chef and am very critical when it comes to food but I hadnt any fault with the food.It was delicious and the side order of veg was yum and garlic pops covered with cheese...mmmmhhh.My only fault was the drink...no draught beer...of any decription..only bottles...way too xpensive.
Anyway..we got a table by the window and were offered the set menu.We had our son with us and he was able to have a half adult portion...they offered us the half portion and it was huge..much to his delight...he had the beef which was very tender.The staff were very friendly and helpful.Our bill came to 74EURO which we were delighted with and I told the girl that I would write a good review as I was very happy with everything.Couldnt fault this hotel for food.We didnt stay but would be back for another feede next summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Roscommon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Good accommodation spoiled by terrible food and unfriendly staff. The so called irish breakfast was swimming in grease and the evening meal was the worst I have ever had. I will never stay there again

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

WARNING!! DO NOT EAT HERE!! Only after dining at cliff house I read trip adviser and I have to agree with severel reviews that write about the rudeness of the staff you would think they were doing us the favour by giving them our buiness. What happened to Irish hospitality?! It is inabundense everywhere else on this beautiful island! We were a party of adults no children, no excuse! We all agreed have eaten bad food but never as bad as cliff house!
If you are to dine in achill, I would highly recommend calveys which is next door or the Beehive for a lighter menu.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have stayed here many times and each time it is fabulous! It is spotlessly clean, the rooms are spacious, and each room has a deep, lovely tub (bring bubbles). It is right across the street from Keel Beach (beauty spot) and you can sit at breakfast and watch the gulls flying over the sea. By far the best part is the food...I can't say enough about it. The food is fresh, cooked perfectly, and presented beautifully! I really don't want everyone to discover this place because I want to keep it to my self. It is a family run, small hotel, my favorite. The people are welcoming, friendly, and will remember you when you come back.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the front have a lovely view of the beach. If you go in the summer and want to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Castlebar, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Had a meal here over the long weekend and it was first rate, just beautiful. The view from the dining room is stunning and the place is spotlessly clean. The staff are wonderful and friendly, I think it is family run. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

As a seasoned visitor to beautiful Achill for many many years my family and I were disappointed with this place,this is more of a guesthouse than an hotel,on arrival we were dealt with in a rushed fashion ,our rooms were very cold,my son complained and the heating was turned on,the rooms were clean but old fashioned,we ate a meal here which was lovely until I discovered lots of bones in my fish,I pointed this out when my plate was collected but it fell on deaf ears,we were told the 'Bar' was closed after the last serving which was early ,surely this is not normal for an hotel,overall we were dealt with an abrupt friendliness,when going to Achill again we will stay like we always have in the past in Self Catering.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Achill Cliff House Hotel? Share your experiences!