“Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Tholos
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went with friends to party in Rhodes, eventhough is not the best location regarding the center, is preety well located to some nearby places and close by the rest.
The rooms where preety old but really clean.
I would say that for families is a great place, seems to be great activities , nice beach and pool.

I would like to remark the service i got from their people ,specially after we got some issues, speccially from KATYA and DIMITROS ... I think that the whole experience in any place can change when you are so charmed by their workers.

The food is not the best at the common restaurant but at the "a la carte " ( which is included ) is like a 5 stars restaurant Really really tasty ....
Thanks a lot

Room Tip: Ask for the refurnished ones
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Not sure where to start. My party consisted of myself and fiancé, her sister and partner with 2 kids and her other sister and her 11 year old.

We booked our holiday through Jet 2 Holidays her sisters did it independently, we booked the upgraded rooms for one week back in February.

When we arrived we were told that they had overbooked the hotel and it was full, 2 of us would have to spend 2 nights in another hotel (Mikri Poli – See my other review) When I explained to the woman on reception that this was not good enough her response was the really helpful “there are no rooms, either go here or sleep in reception”.

We then asked for the manager to which the woman said she was the manager, following more conversations about rooms, a man “George” turned up who said he was the Reservations Manager and was clearly the reception woman’s boss, so a lesson here George is the Manager not the blond woman on reception!

He then said that there were no rooms for my fiancé’s sisters as they had not booked via a travel agent. When I asked if there were more people arriving that day I was told yes there was, and yes they had rooms but we could not have those rooms as they were also booked via a travel agent, so lesson number 2, if your going here book via a travel agent.

We were then offered a hire car for 2 days, so that we could travel back from the other hotel to be with each other. Now we had decided that the sister with 2 kids would have our room leaving my fiancé, her sister and son to go to the other hotel. I told George that I did not have my paper part of the licence with me to which his reply was a worrying “we will find a way round this”, I am sure there would not have been a big problem but I was not happy with this. In the end he agreed to pay for a taxi to and from the hotels, leson 3 – Don’t take the hire car insist they pay for the taxi (46 euro per trip) so our trips cost them 250 euros.

Onto the hotel, 2 days later…..

The upgraded rooms are fantastic, very clean, modern, nice shower and separate bath. The other rooms when I had a look into one was not so great.

The pool area is nice but if you sit near the slide you WILL get splashed. There is the normal problem of not enough sunbeds by the pool, but if your happy sitting on the beach for the morning you can normally find a free sun lounger by the pool after 2pm.

The other guests, now here is where the “problems” start the hotel is geared to a more European tourist. So the drinks are mixed stronger, there is not really a queuing system at the bar or the buffet, some people may find the other guests to be “rude”. But to me it all about other peoples customs if you realise this early and just go with it then you will have a great time.

The food, now I have read a couple of people says that there was no food for their kids….. If your kids will only eat fish fingers, burgers, and pizza then yes this is not the hotel for you, however there is a great salad bar, there is always pasta, and some meat dishes something Greek. I would say that the food is aimed at the European holiday maker, but then again last time I looked at my map Greece is in Europe. This hotel does not do “and chips” so the real question is how fussy are your kids?

The restaurant however is another matter, EVERY meal we had in there felt rushed, we were eating about 19:30/20:00 but once 20:30/21:00 come round they start to shut and clean the restaurant, it is very off putting when you are trying to finish your dessert and people are setting for the breakfast the next day.

Part of our “deal” was that we could eat in the “a la carte” restaurant, now in my head I was expecting a very Greek meal that would be of a higher standard than the food in the buffet….. OH HOW WRONG WAS I!!! In a nutshell all the “a la carte” is just waiter service, the food is EXACTLY the same as in the buffet. If you want to have a special meal my advice would be get the bus to Rhodes and eat there!

The staff, well I cant say they were over friendly but then again they were not really rude, they were their doing their job and that’s it, cant say they made me feel really welcome but then again they did not make me feel uncomfortable.

Overall – the whole experience was OK is you could see me I would shrug as well, was the holiday relaxing - yes, but would I go back – No.

We only get so many holidays a year and when I spend my money I want to feel I have really spent it well that’s why I have to rate the hotel as poor.

Room Tip: If you have to move insist on the Mikri Poli - its a 40min taxi drive but really worth it. And don...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at 11.20 p.m on the 2nd July as a single parent travelling with my 8yr old daughter. On arrival I was told there was no room for us and was offered 2 nights in another hotel ( they'd had my booking for 6 mnths!) I was furious! I had a now tired and crying child! I was told it was my only option but we we're welcome to sleep in the foyer until the manager arrived next morning!!!! Disgusting!!! Luckily a young English couple - who'd had the same treatment, but had to stay elsewhere for 4 nights - heard my dilema and offered to ' put us up' in their room as they were leaving at 2pm next day. ....I was so great full!
When they left i basically claimed squat ers rights over the room. When I tracked down the manager he apologised profusely and said they'd been having 'problems'!!! Great that really helped me hey. ....he offered me free car hire, unfortunately I hadnt taken my licence, free 10min facial or back massage( not sure what my 8yr old was going to do with that!) Oh and a bottle of wine which was supposed to be delivered to my room, unsurprisingly it never appeared!

The Room*....very outdated incuding the bathroom plus extremely noisy air con, though I should, I suppose, be thankful it worked! ...
Maid service was hit and miss. Sometimes our room wad 'done' in the morning, sometimes not tillv6p.m.

The Garden room* lol basically overlooked the car park and a few ton bags of building material!

The Food*
Appalling....obviously catering for Russian and German tastes....no child friendly food as in every other 4* hotel ive ever stayed in....breakfast was edible but after complaining 3 nights in a row that there was nothing and I mean NOTHING for my child to eat. ...she was 'specially' prepared fish fingers and chips. ..after the 3rd night we gave up and ate at Billys or Mikes. We weren't the only ones doing this.....
Disgusting considering we were All Inclusive!

The Pool*
Whilst very clean its also very deep for kids. Im 5ft 5in and only places could I stand up where it was up to my chest! My daughter couldnt touch the floor anywhere but is way to old for the toddler pool....also be aware that there are only 2 ladders to climb in and out, one each side of the bridge and only on one side.....not good in my opinion. There is also no lifeguard...the slides and cleanliness were the best feature.

This was our 1st trip to Rhodes and although I would never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone I will return to a real 4* hotel on the island again 1 day.

The Doreta Beach and Spa is NOT a 4* establishment. It DOES favour Russians and Germans however much the "Manager" refutes this fact....not one of these nationalitys was asked to use another hotel. FACT!!!!

IF YOU'RE ENGLISH DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL....SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED HOLIDAY AND MONEY AND BOOK ELSWHERE....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

DEE AND ISABELLA
DISAPPOINTED FROM STAFFORD SHIRE!

• Stayed July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this hotel last October for 10 days as a couples holiday. We read some reviews and they were pretty mixed, but we held an open mind as our last holiday had similar reviews and was perfect! (Kos- Aegean View Hotel) we knew that a holiday would be what we made it, and with some of the reviews being quite picky, we chose to ignore them (as we are not very fussy people!)
So here was our experience:
We arrived in Rhodes and the hotel is less than 10 mins down the road, you can get a bus there very easily and it stops right outside the hotel. We got to the hotel and was told that our booking operator had not told them about our boookings. We knew this was a lie straight away to cover their backs, as we had previously read on here that they had been double booking rooms since June. But we hoped this would pass by the time we got there, it didn't. We were left waiting for over an hour before the manager told us that they would send us to another hotel, which we were not pleased about- obviously we just wanted to unpack and get in the pool. we were sent to the other side of the island to a hotel called Mikri Poli- very nice! Once we arrived there our one night stay was a breeze! lovely pool, lovely food, entertainment was good, rooms were nice even though we probably had a low budget one, the air con was great. Along the holiday we met other people who also got sent to various other hotels on their first night also.
The next morning we got a taxi back to Doreta (which they paid for) and were given the rooms we had booked and were very impressed with them. We had the superior Jacuzzi suits with garden views. bed was huge and we had another single bed too which came handy for shoving the suitcases out of the way. Bathroom was spacious with separate Jacuzzi bath and shower. the only down side was that although these were newly renovated rooms, the air con was nearly non existent which made getting ready a hot ordeal. apart from this, the room was lovely with views out to the front of the hotel.
The hotel grounds themselves were gorgeous. hotel building was lovely too. I suffer from ear infections and didn't get one this holiday because the pool was so clean. Also it has 2 slides in the pool, which are great for all ages... we loved them!! Your need to get up around 7am for sunbeds with parasols, but there are many sunbeds stacked up which you can put anywhere, and more on the beach. The pool bar is fab, the main guy working nights is fantastic and made us lots of cocktails which were not on the menu... All of the night staff are great. beer is very good (coming from the men who are beer professionals) and the cocktails are very strong. Soft drinks are available as well as kids cocktails which was a lovely touch.
Overall we loved this holiday. the hotel itself was great, you are far enough away from the hustle of Rhodes town, but close enough to grab a bus. the beach is a few steps away with water sports. the only down fall is that they do not cater for English too well. by this I mean the food is very bland and peculiar (coming from the least most fussy eaters ever!) after a couple of days just chips and plain spaghetti is all that felt normal. Anything that was remotely English was ruined. for example breakfast was:
- Frankfurt sausages... in tomato sauce!
-scrambled eggs... made with a sour kind of milk
- beans.... which taste like Worchester sauce mixed with sugar
there was lots of cold meat and cheese, and the plain omelettes were good. Pancakes were only served later, which by then it was too busy to get.
Lunch was the best because they always had chips, which you can't go wrong with and some form of pasta... but the rest was very tedious or looked awful. Im really not a fussy eater and I tried nearly everything. But it just wasn't up to scratch compared to other holidays. ( and I thought people were being picky when I read the reviews about food... they were not wrong) we ended up eating at Billy's Place and Mike's Bar across the road for last 6 days. both are fantastic! Billy's is very cheap and best food ever, whatever you get. Another thing about the restaurant in the hotel is that they don't set tables up quick enough. there were so many staff but all they seem to do is empty plates, and not put cutlery back out so people can sit down.
The only other thing which was annoying was the maid service. it was very up and down. some says our room would be clean by 12. others 3pm. But it became a joke when we went up to our rooms at 5pm to have a shower and get ready for dinner and they either had not been at all or had but never left towels. which was extremely frustrating as we had to either be on edge and not get ready in case the maids walk in while you're in the shower, or have a shower but dry yourself with a chlorine soaked beach towel.
They are only small things, but after a while they become annoying as they are so easily fixed! I would go back to Rhodes as it is beautiful, especially the old town. But not this hotel, it is more of a 3 star than 4... but never the less a good hotel. Also the animation team do not speak good English, so they don't include you as much as the Russians and French, which is ok because the shows were not great anyways and the day activities were exactly the same each day: darts, water polo, water gym and football. they had the same kids activity every day in pool ( swim with the whale) where they just had to pull an inflatable whale across the pool) poor kids! Also be prepared to allow the Russians/Germans/French whatever they are to push in every line. for elevators, food, bar, I even had children throw themselves down the slide before I sat down. But you can't blame them since their parents haven't even got manners!

Room Tip: higher floors are newly renovated... we also wished we paid extra for the sea view as it was gorgeou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem - Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for five nights with the wife and the kids. The hotel is good, swimming pools are a little small but not bad, the beach is great and is just 10 meters from the pool. However the rooms are very old and out fashioned. I stayed in room 206 & 207 and they are very old. Each room has one double bed and one two floors bed, and the second floor bed is very difficult to reach. I know there are some renovated rooms, but we were not lucky enough to get those.
In general the vacation was great and overall the hotel was worth the money.
There is also several other things for kids such as a kids club, small engine operated cars.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed recently- The rooms are not finished in some parts of the hotel, and as we arrived in the middle of the night- as usually happens, we were given a silly room, no view, and only I bed for all 3 of us!!! BUT.... In the morning The French manager (lovely man) sorted is out a great room with a view, reception staff are
The pool and beach were fabulous, more than enough sunbeds, a great feeling of hospitality, clean pebbly beach, gorgeous breeze,tennis courts,beach bar with excellent smiley staff - whatore could you want.
Food was tasty, fresh and well presented.
We didn't pay a lot but we definatly got what we paid for and more- I'd go again anytime I need a cheap break. Terrific find.

• Stayed June 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Was an amazing vacation!!!
A very nice place for families and children
Lovely staff!
Especially:
Evdokia Mastrotheodorou, in charge of Doreta's Kids Club.she was so Sweet
We fell in love with her!!!!
thank u Evi!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Doreta Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!