“From Happy to Unhappy Days.....” 3 of 5 stars

You added Happy Days Hotel to your Saves list
Happy Days Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tholos, Tholos 85106, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Tholos
“From Happy to Unhappy Days.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Without Prejudice: My partner and I booked a last minute holiday here, we paid quite a price. Hotel looks great, pool fabulous, gardens beautifully maintained, meals fair -leaves alot to be desired - always something. Spirit drinks watery, still drinks okay, wine okay. Beautiful restaurant area, I called the cafe". Faulty Towers..ahum..yes ha! Had to ask for things, but not a problem. Hotel staff very welcoming, polite. Owner lady takes pride in the hotel, lights candles- providing cosy, relaxing ambience. Looks like five star hotel inside bar and reception area but the hotel lacks in other areas. The worst being the room, the bathroom and general cleaning is very poor. Towels were not changed, bath and sink dirty upon arrival and it was nev cleaned just wiped. No toilet roll, had to buy own. Hard beds like concrete. I was getting up numb on one side- incredibly hard. Corners nev mopped. wished I had taken cream cleaner. We are easy pleased and usually do not make a fuss. We didnt, but returned one lunch time and were horrified; partner was confronted by reception staff accusing us of breaking a chair. We certainly did not. I wrote a letter to the manager immediately requesting that they retract the accusation. The breakage apparently could not be seen -what a meticulous cleaner ey? Apparently the damage was underneath. Make of that what you want". However, cleaner saw it strange?? The place is run with an iron rod and it interferes with your holiday because it makes you uncomfortable when you know staff are working in fear. I just wish the cleaner was meticulous enough to clean the room properly!! For the manager said the damage could not be seen. This made me feel like she'd been scratting in my things. All trust was gone, we ate out and stayed away last day and a half of our holiday. We were offended. This awful incident will not be forgotten. The manager was shocked to find that it was us because we had, up until that point, praised the hotel and staff. We left early carrying an 18.05 kilo suitcase around Tholos until it was time to leave for airport later that evening. Not a happy days ending for us!!! What was really nice was sharing such wonderful days, at times, with lovely people we met from England, our best regards are sent to a couple from The New Forest T' today and always x x and for anyone else at the hotel at same time...I am the one with the straw hat lol! The manager apologised, but had further insulted us incinuating that I had broken the stool just sitting on it. I had not sat on that stool. We are professional people and certainly do not go trashing rooms on holidays! A sorry end...we were to give this hotel, despite the poor room cleaning, top marks, but this review is a truly honest account. I would warn holiday makers to inspect all furnishings, fixtures and fittings- report anything damaged; broken, bent, scratched, chipped, stained etc upon your arrival. :) There are other hotels...Now at home...happy days... :)

• Stayed June 2013

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Happy Days Hotel, overall appearance of front of hotel, reception, bar area, pool all lovely, Our room was clean, bright, adequately furnished, on the 2nd floor on the garden side of the hotel, not much of a view, but we got the sun as we got ready for the evening, Drinks at the bar very good. Negative points were, cleaning of our bathroom was poor, wash basin & bath not cleaned, shower just adequate. Food OK some days, poor others, never very hot, salads always good. Some days hotel like Faulty Towers, a member of staff took away by the police one night never to been seen again, management shouting & arguing with staff in front of guests, no staff at times to serve drinks at the bar during the day. Overall my partner & I had a relaxing 2 weeks in the sun, friendly staff worked very hard, the man who worked the evening shift in dining room, & bar very experienced.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have the best view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Over the past few years, my wife and I have I have enjoyed our vacations in various Greek islands, I reviewed the usual sources in March 2013 and we decided to benefit from the fantastic value for money deals available at that time, I found Happy Days on A1 and after reviewing trip advisor , committed ourselves to the offer, we knew from previous trips that the "transfer charges" were a non starter and got a taxi at the airport for less than half that, in the advertised "transfer charge".This is a 3 star graded hotel, it has a very good appearance fronting on a main road. ~We were greeted by the owner, who led us through the familiarisation process quite nicely with good humour. Our stay was for "bronze-all inclusive" and he indicated the pool, restuarant, bar, snack facilities, meal times, etc. making us feel quite welcome. Our room was a two bed unit (one of 55) on the second floor overlooking the pools and with a sea view, It was adequately furnished in fair condition, the only down side side was a poor bath enamel finish, but hey this was costing less than Premier Lodge and this was All inc. not bed only! The meal times were fine, fitting in with our particular programme throughout the week, menu choice was surprisingly good although, there had been changes in kitchen staff in recent days, The other guests were from all over Europe, France, Germany, Ukraine,Denmark etc. and although the hotel wasn't full is was neither empty or overcrowded, we were always able to find a table in the resturants, or sun beds round the pool, we were offered air conditioning at 7euros per day but even though the temp. was 28 - 32 o we were ok with the balcony doors open and the screen protecting us from the insects at night! My wife enjoyed the choice of wines, and I was ok with the beers, although for a change of surroundings some evenings we would stroll up to a local taverna bar and sample theirs as well! We both agree, A1 deal Happy Days Hotel, see you again sometime.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside, sea view! the sea breeze cools the room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from staying a week all inclusive at the Happy Days Hotel.I could say good things and bad things about the hotel but to be fair it is your average 3 star hotel and you get what you pay for.
We had a lovely relaxing holiday and the owners and staff will bend over backwards to make the
stay as good as it can be.
There is plenty of room both poolside and in the foyer/bar area although I have to say the hotel was far from capacity.Probably about 33% occupancy at the end of our stay.
The food is excellent quality and well prepared and plentiful.They didn't have buffet style meals
at first because there wasn't enough people to justify it which was bad for me as I am a 'picky'
eater.If you like plenty of salad and lots of courses of Greek food you're quids in.
However the staff did try to accommodate this and overall I cannot say a bad word about the food.To be fair I go on holiday for the scenery and the weather rather than to eat .
My wife got lots of bites on her legs mainly so take insect repellent.
Rhodes is a nice island,Old town is amazing and a MUST,but the airport is a bit 'small time'.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Be'er Sheva, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We just came back from a 4 days in this hotel - and we loved every minute of it. to start with, the staff is really really wonderful - the hotel runs by a family and they are so lovely and warm.

We arrived at 11:30 and although the check in suppose to be in 15:00 we got our room right away. We discovered a really neat and simple room with a pool view.
The location was great, as for everything we needed was there. you have a bus stop about 100 m away that can take you anywhere you want (the hotel is on the main road), you can rent car right by and its really cheap (40 euro) and have supermarket all around and bars and restaurant.
The hotel is in a village called Tholos and its about 7 min from the airport. The area itself is very quiet (beside the airplanes that pass through). It's also 5 min from the beach.

In the hotel itself you have a big pool that was clean and tidy. when we were there, there weren't a lot of people staying so we had almost all the time the pool for our self.
you have good music all the time and in general they have a really good vibe there.

in the morning you have a breakfast. its basic, cheese, egg, toast but it's enough for us.

we loved the small, warm and cozy felling there and definitely came back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ramat Gan, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just came back from 6 days in this hotel - wonderful people run this hotel and very good atmosphere. We enjoyed it very much and we strongly recommend this hotel. Emanuel and his mom are very very warm and helpful. We felt like at home when we were there.

Miri,
Israel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
chester, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had really HAPPY DAYS in the hotel HAPPY DAYS, which can be booked through www.happydayshoyel.gr. Very friendly family run hotel, clean nice rooms, good breakfast, perfectly chosen music. My daughter enjoyed a swimming pool a lot and I enjoyed sea (250m from the hotel) where you have an opportunity to attend lessons on windsurfing and do other (non-motor) water sport. The hotel is conveniently located close to the traditional Greek village Tholos where you can taste traditional Greek dinner, 19 km from Rhodes where you can explore an ancient Greek culture, and a unique nature reserve of butterflies is also nearby. I would not hesitate in returning to the hotel or recommending it to others. It was great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Happy Days Hotel? Share your experiences!