“Excellent price - quality for both hotel and restaurant with a charming host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marquee Hotel

The Marquee Hotel
You added The Marquee Hotel to your Saves list
The Marquee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Via Provinciale per San Romano, Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, Italy   |
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent price - quality for both hotel and restaurant with a charming host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

We stayed five nights at The Marquee and were touched by the modesty and kindness of the owner. His tenure in London has brought him a combination of Britsh style and Italian friendliness. The rooms were spacious and clean and the set menu (with several choices for both primi and secundi piatti) were of an excellent quality. The food was as Italian food should be: not very complicated but made out of good quality ingredients and excellently prepared. On our last night our elderly host offered us to prepare Crepes Suzettes as a parting gift. These were really excellent and it was amazing to see him prepare the dish at our table. To us, it showed that probably he was as good a chef as the lady who prepared the dishes for us and was a fitting end to a wonderful stay in the Tuscan mountains.

Room Tip: The hotel has some rooms with a terrace on the sunny side with a view over the valley and the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed here in early July, for two nights while we did a car tour of the Garfagnana. The owner is a true gentleman, who does a very professional job. Simple, clean rooms, with a nice pool, and a well maintained garden. Five to seven minutes from Castelnuovo by car. Breakfast also very well done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Manager/owner was exceptionally nice. Rooms clean but basic. We had a ground floor room at the rear of the hotel which opened up onto the lawned area near to the swimming pool. Table and chairs for our use just outside our door. A very pleasant place to sit. Free wifi. Parking available. Good breakfast brought to us on a trolley by the Manager. Apart from the continental style breakfast we had he offered to cook us fried eggs if we wished.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night in June 2014.

First, I have to say that the level of service at this hotel was absolutely excellent. The owner(?) simply could not do enough to ensure that all parts of my stay went smoothly.

Like all parts of the hotel, my room was very well maintained and spotlessly clean.

However, the hotel itself is quite dated. The fixtures and fittings give the impression that the hotel was decorated to an reasonable level in the early 1980s and has never been updated. Furniture in the rooms looks like the self-assembly furniture that would be more suited to student accommodation. The bathroom fittings are again the chunky plastic type that nowadays looks quite dated. On top of that, the bed was extremely hard and the wifi signal in my room (on the second floor) was very weak and effectively useless.

Because I had an early start the next day, I opted to eat in the hotel restaurant. The owner explained that the restaurant had only opened that week for the season and apologised for the limited menu. However, I was very happy with the choices on offer. I was the only diner in the whole restaurant, but I was never made to feel rushed even though my presence must have been an inconvenience. The meal was fairly basic (courses comprised bruschetta, melon and ham, veal cutlets, and ice cream) but was absolutely delicious. I would say the standard was good home cooking rather than restaurant food, but that was appealing. The house white that I ordered with the meal was very nice, though the bottle was left without an ice bucket and so the wine got warm quite quickly.

As I was only there for a single night, I did not try the hotel pool, which looked nice though it was visible from the (very quiet) road and so may not be a secluded spot for sunbathing.

All in all I would say that my stay was enjoyable and if I needed a cheap hotel in the area then I would stay there again.

However, I don't think I would be able to recommend it to friends or colleagues. The hotel is well maintained, but is dated and does not reflect what modern travellers need.

I am really sorry to say that, as the owner was lovely and I did appreciate his efforts to make me welcome.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor (room 9) and the wi-fi signal was terrible. Perhaps try a lower floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hamilton.Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Very good service. Rooms very clean. I was on a business trip and booked a single room but was upgraded to a double room. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts .My room had a terrace which was a brilliant surprise. The hotel also has a very good swimming pool which is great to relax by during the day. Excellent location and just a short drive takes you to Pieve Fosciana / Castelnuovo / Barga ( the centre of all that is happening in the area ) .If you ever wanted to visit Tuscany then this is where to stay on a fixed budget.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Marquee Hotel? Share your experiences!