“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Beautiful resort in very quiet area. If you want nothing but relaxing this place is perfect! Bars and restaurant don't have much of a vibe, think most people stay in their rooms for the majority. Maybe some sort of evening entertainment would be good. Rooms are beautiful but some parts need a bit of TLC, our room leaked from the doors when it rained. The staff are brilliant maybe even too attentive but still great! The tour we did was great and the guide was fantastic. Would definitely recommend this hotel! My fiancé and I loved it!

• Stayed September 2013
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Annaleise C,

"Beautiful"

Thank you for lovely comment that you have experience at the Santhiya during your stay.

Yes, your right most of the guests stay in their specially at 5 p.m. to relax at the same feel the ambiance of the pool at sunset time.

i hope to see both of you again in the future visit.

Mr. Lloyd B. Maravilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
hong kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My time here was short (2 nights in Santhiya and one in Phuket ) but my expectations were high due to all the positive tripadvisor reviews.

The holiday begun the moment we stepped on the Santhiya boat for the scenic 20 min boat ride to Koh Yao Yai, check in was bureaucratic though the attentive GM and their manager Viren personally introduced themselves and were visible throughout the stay. (The front desk asked me for passport, credit card AND paper copy of confirmation?! When I showed the girl the confirm on my cell since I booked directly, she even asked if I can email it to her?! Also it is rather pointless when they ask you to fill out info they already have ie address & email etc. )

The hotel was packed so the rooms were not ready til one-ish...I had lunch at the beachfront restaurant, it is next door to the more formal dining area and overall, good Thai food at reasonable prices & relaxing. The beach is not too clean though, probably trash washed up from elsewhere but that seems to be an issue in Phuket & the surrounding islands (I've also stayed at Koh Yao Noi, Naka Island, & about 20 other hotels on Phuket mainland).

Santhiya has high speed free wifi, lovely wooden traditional Thai architecture & elegant decor throughout. I finally settled into my very spacious room /villa around 1 pm ish. View from every room was post card perfect & just stunning, the indoor/outdoor space did not disappoint, living room's windows (glass to ceiling) were dirty though and since room 1203 was immediately in front of their construction site, had constant noise, when I called the front desk around 5 pm and asked for a room change, the next afternoon I ended up in room 1105, a smaller villa with less of a view, but it was much more peaceful & I slept much better overall.

In sum: an up & coming hotel which will surely improve overtime, not my favorite hotel in the Phuket area (I am super picky) but very good value for money (for their million dollar seaview) at usd300 a night (ie Six senses koh yao noi cost 2-3x more), just make sure you stay in the rooms closer to the water til the construction is done. Also service staff were sincere & sweet but still need further training. Overall I would consider this to be a four star hotel at most

• Stayed September 2013
Dear anilegan,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

" Good value for $$ but room for improvement"

I would like to thank you for your feedback that give us a chance to see the situation and improvement those points.

Nevertheless, we will strive hard to achieve those expectation that you're trying express from you short stay with us.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where to begin.

This is a gorgeous hotel in a beautiful location. The villas are amazing, with breath-taking views. It has all the potential to be a luxury 5 star hotel, but it is not.

There are just things that differentiate amazing hotels from the rest...

-It was our honeymoon. Even though my husband wrote to them and ask for a special something to surprise us they fail to do something nice for us.
- The villas are ok but need maintenance, specially the outdoor furniture... little details make a huge difference.
-Outdoor shower only works with cold water... a bit of a letdown there.
-The indoor shower was clogged and thus the bathroom flooded. We had to call them and explain the problem. They did not understand us (they do not speak English) and said everything was fine, so we had to show them what the problem was. There went a good couple of hours...
-We saw that we could borrow some dvd's from reception. My husband was sick so he called them and ask them to send 2 or 3 dvds to our room so we could chose one. They said he had to go to get it himself. He calmly explained that he was sick and that is why he could not go and get it. We received a "no sorry, if you don't come we can't bring it to you". That is what I call bad service.
- We were a bit shocked when we had the "do not disturbed sign on the villa door" and heard some noises, when we went to investigate we found a staff member doing some gardening in our villa. So much for privacy.
-There is no consistency on the room cleaning service. For instance, some days we would get the anti-mosquito candles, some days we would not, which does not seem to be a big deal until you are eaten by mosquitos. No clean towels throughout the whole time we were there and the list could go on and on but I will not waste time writing about this.
-Some towels were stained, which really it is something you should not see in a luxury hotel.
-Every time we got room service they only brought one serviette (even though we were clearly ordering for two). Furthermore, half of the times the serviette was dirty.
-The breakfast buffet is very basic. They have 3 pieces of paw paw, 3 pieces of cheese, 3 croissants... it looks as if there is no food.
-On our last day we decided to have breakfast in our villa. The menu does not have prices and breakfast is included, or so we thought!. We were not advised when we ordered but were charged 300 tb when they delivered our breakfast. When my husband try to inquiry about this he was ignored -the staff did not speak English... this was very upsetting. If they want to charge for the service is fine, but they should alert you when you order.
-Last but not least they really have to do something about their speed boat timetable. We only had two options: 9:30 am or the 1:30 p.m. however checkout is at 12:00 p.m. so you have a good 1 1/2 to sit around and wait for the boat... I mean really, I am left to believe that the only reason the speedboat leaves 1 1/2 hours after you have to check out is because you are sort of forced to sit at the bar and pay for a drink.

Other things:

-They seem to be over staff, however the service is quite below average.
- Most staff seem to be annoyed when you request something or ask for their help, they are not friendly nor accommodating.
-Staff does not speak English, this does not seem like a problem until you try to communicate with them, get information and it is just not possible. It is very frustrating.
-They have a huge mosquito problem.
-Restaurant is ok, but prices are quite high compared to what you would paid in Thailand and the menu is a bit limited.

Finally, I would like to say that I raised some of the above matters on our checkout feedback form. The reception staff member clearly saw that we were upset but did nothing about it.

In a nutshell, it is not worth what you are paying for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sofia1001,

"Very disappointing"

Where should I start probably saying to you my apology if you're unhappy during your stay with us prior from your comment.

I have read all of your points that you have mentioned and it's really very hard to please everybody special those list that make you upset.

But the list of comments that been wrote to the tripadvisor where majority where satisfactory still a plan for us to make improvement in the future.

There was excuse for us to say thank you for your time in writing us and we hope you give us a chance to recover it up for future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I stay 5 nights at this amazing resort last week. When people ask us "how was it" I find it really hard to explain. Because answering "great" or "perfect" just doesn't do it justice. Have you ever been in a hotel room that was so amazing that you had a hard time deciding if you just stay there the whole day or actually go out and do something? Well, that's how amazing it is. Every time we walked into our ocean view pool villa, it took our breath away.

The "room":
The villas are perched on the steep hill overlooking Phuket and its surrounding islands. They are beautifully designed in traditional thai style. You have complete privacy since they are well spaced between one another and the view is just spectacular in any direction you look. We literally spent a days sitting in our nature's clothes in or next to the fairly large pool just looking at the view..
The villa is very large with a sitting area (featuring a flat screen TV, stereo system + DVD, coffee/tea maker and a minibar), a dressing area with two large closets and dressers, and a large bedroom with a huge comfy bed wrapped in a mosquito net. At the foot of the bed two thai mattresses await your morning leisure read overlooking the stunning views of your pool and the sea below it. The bathroom area is outdoors and spans the length of the whole villa. You have both an open sky shower and an area that is covered by a roof and includes "his" and "hers" sinks, a toilet and another shower room.

The beach and main pool:
The beach was very quiet and peaceful most of the time. There's one resort next to this one (Yao Yai Resort) which is basic and looked mostly empty most of the time. There's another larger resort (200 rooms) which is in construction at the end of the beach. The waters on this side of the island (overlooking Phuket) are deeper which means tides don't play much of a roll and the water is refreshing. We took a scooter to visit beaches on the other side of the island (i.e. at Yao Yai Village) and the water were very shallow and warm, which is not fun at all.
Santhiya makes sure to clean the beach in front of the resort but no development across the rest of the bay means that if you walk down the beach you'll see seaweeds and debris on and around the beach. The main pool of the resort is huge and feels like its carved out of the jungle behind it. It features large rocks inside it and two waterfall areas, which adds to the feeling you're part of nature and not in a hotel.

Restaurant and others:
You can order drinks and foods anywhere you're sitting: next to the bar, at the main restaurant, at the beach or even at your room (for no extra charge!). There's a nice selection to choose from including Thai and western dishes. Relative to what you'll be paying at an average Thai restaurant the prices are obviously higher. Expect to spend about 750 Bh per person for any meal (First+main dish+a drink). Most dishes are good but I wish there was a wider selection of "simple" Thai dishes. The spa is temporarily in one of the villas, as they're still building the main one. It's a bit pricy but we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff is extremely nice and everyone go out of their way to service you. The GM, My Lloyd, makes an effort to meet and greet all the guests and Viren who heads reception is just awesome.

Things to know:
- Remember, YaoYai is not Koh Phangan. So don't expect to be able to go out of the hotel and find dozens of restaurants and massage places to choose from. The only alternatives are the restaurant of the resort next door (walk down the beach and turn left at the end of the concrete path) or taking a scooter or bike which are available and ride a couple of miles to the nearby village where there are a couple of very basic options.
- They are still building the resort. When we first arrived we were placed in a villa 1203 which is located near the construction are and there was a lot of noise. When we called reception they stopped the construction work (!) and moved us to another villa the following day. This villa was closer to the main area and we couldn't hear any construction until the end of our stay. It had even better views than the first one and was a walking distance from the beach so we didn't have to ask for the car every time we wanted to leave the room [Villa 1103 is the best villa in the resort IMHO]
- This is an ECO resort. This means the bathroom is outdoors and you share it with other creatures. If seeing a fly or a mosquito while you're "sitting" freaks you out: don't go there.
They're doing their best to keep the rooms clean but if you don't make sure to close all doors, don't be surprised to see mosquito in your bedroom. It's really not a big deal: they have an electronic mosquito trap in the bedroom and scented salts in all the rooms. They spray outdoors every couple of days and even provide you with a bug-spray in the bathroom. They come every evening to make your bed and secure the mosquito net around your bed. If you're very sensitive, it's your responsibility to put some mosquito repellent on yourself. I saw some reviewer that praised the resort and then gave them two points mainly because of the mosquitos.. I think that's very childish.
- Getting to the resort from Phuket airport takes about 2 hours: 30 min ride to the pier (500 Bh), ferry to Koh Yao Yai main pier (45 min after it leaves, 300 BH p/p) and then a 30 min ride at the back of a pickup (500 Bh). alternatively you can use the resort's speed boat which takes you from the airport and is a bit more expensive (1500 Bh p/p) but is saves time and is much more comfortable.

Bottom line: If you want to enjoy the best that Thailand has to offer in terms of style and views but you don't want to be in a busy touristic location like Phi Phi or Phuket; If you want to get away from everything and feel like you're on a deserted island but to do it in (a lot) of style; If you actually like to be in nature and you don't freak out if you see a gecko; If you enjoy each other's company and not looking for meeting people in the resort; This place is HEAVEN. I can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: Try to get a room from 1102 to 1110. They're closer to the main area and furthest from the const...
Dear gilladv,

"The Perfect Hideaway"

Thank you for your prestigious comment as daily operation that make things perfect for your expectation.

It brings to the point of achievement for the service that operation render for each guests that stay at Santhiya.

Nevertheless, your time and points that you have informed were very helpful for any future enquiry.

I'm looking forward to your future visit.

Mr Lloyd B. Maravilla
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

we went there for sweet honey moon ♥ impressed the first time at santhiya resort & spa
very relaxing place especially the room , in room swimming pool and very green environment and
Staff are really nice & friendly & professional they have service in mind,It is perfect in everything ,Will definitely come back again ♥

Room Tip: Santhiya Royal Grand Pool Villa Suites very nice room & view with pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear ThippyThailand,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

" wonderful place for Honeymoon"

I would like to thank you for the good feedback that you have render for your experience with us.

I hope that your return will be soon......

Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had visited several Asian countries such as Malaysia, Vietnam, Thai, Singapore, etc and a few times respectively.
I recommend this hotel strongly. Firstly, Staffers are very kind and warm even those who work for construction. Secondly, it does not cost so much to do anything in the hotel such as leisure tour, spa, foods, drinks. It goes without saying that the facilities are very good and useful.

Room Tip: Bring insecticide, insect repellent, itch medication with you. You can't avoid mosquito complete...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear _2013234,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Thank you for our excellent family vacation"

It's good to received this feedback that state the satisfaction of the family during your stay at Santhiya.

This enable us to over look the out come of every guests that spending time with us and having our quality of service from all department concerned the entire stay.

I would like to invite again the family to visit us in the future .

Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our very first impression was Wow. From the moment we were transported by speed boat from the Marina to arrival at the resort. We put ourselves in their hands and were not disappointed. We were looking for a resort to relax and unwind. Mr Loyd and his competent staff were excellent and attentive without being all over you. Our Villa was stunning, with a gorgeous view. It was very private, and had everything we needed, plus more.
The resort offered us a great place to relax, and also a great base to explore further afield on the island and nearby islands. The resort offered excellent trips that were fully catered for without breaking the bank. We also hired a motor bike at a reasonable price to explore the islands ourselves, and were helped with advise from the staff as to where to go. We would recommend to anyone who wants to get away from the crowds to stay at this resort. It is a truly echo resort, we saw wild monkeys playing on the beach, and also near our villa. The beach was virtually deserted even though the resort was booked out. The food was fantastic, with a very good choice on the menu. We ate Thai meals every night which were superb.
Thank you Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa for our amazing holiday.
PS My husband has requested beer coolers for next time.

Room Tip: Our room was 2012 which we found was perfect for getting some exercise if you wanted to. It was also...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear StuartT321,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Wow! Exactly what we are looking for"

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and satisfaction through our service during your stay with us.

So the delightful experience that you able to see around the Island and the different dish you have eaten on the time of your stay that make enjoy.

I hope you come to visit us once again!

Yours truly

Mr. Lloyd B. Maravilla

Been to Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!