“Loved Koh Yao Yai Village!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78 Moo 4, Ko Yao Yai 82160, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durban, South Africa
“Loved Koh Yao Yai Village!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

If you're reading this review wondering 'should I book / shouldn't I' - well don't waste any more time thinking - BOOK! The rooms are stunning - not on the beach but hidden in the forest area about 500m from the beach. The room design is very impressive and the outside shower with the forest trees above was spectacular! There is also a stunning lounge with a day bed covered with a mosquito net for those lazy afternoons with a book.

The sea isnt the crystal blue that you'll find in Samui or Phi Phi but the view from the huge rim flow hotel pool on the waters edge is out of this world! The service was top notch and although the staff didnt understand English too well they were most helpful and eager to please.

The island is very unassuming and there are no resorts or bars within walking distance. There are actually no real 'bars' on the island. There are a handful of other resorts but nothing like this one. Take the Island Tour and learn more about the local culture and industry...very interesting.

Don't think any longer - book here! We loved it!!

Thank you Koh Yao Yai for a fabulous, relaxing 4 nights at the end of our 3 week trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in January and the Koh Yao Yai Village didn't disappoint. Transfers to and from Phuket Airport were smooth. The room was very well appointed and there was really nothing we could criticise. We had the family villa and although it is spacious, one thing it lacks is a covered open area, which is a feature of the standard bungalows.

The pool is the best feature of the resort, and we also enjoyed the restaurant. The food was well prepared and we never found the offerings boring. There were several theme nights during our stay, with a buffet dinner and live entertainment. We found the food good value for money.

We took advantage of several excursions organised by the activities desk and would recommend any of these, especially the sunset bike tour and the islands tour. There is less to see on the Koh Yao Noi tour, though.

Don't go here for the beach. Like many of these resorts, the tide is out for most of the day and the beach is there only for the pleasant outlook. Also, if you want shops and nightclubs, stick with Phuket; Koh Yao Yai is an island with a very limited range of facilities. But that's the attraction of it, right?

The only small thing is that the staff mostly have a very rudimentary grasp of English. If you don't speak English, I guess you're pretty much on your own.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I simply loved this place! The bungalow was new and extremely tidy, same as the bathroom. There was an outdoor shower but high walls around, therefore private :)

Everywhere were nice decoration, I felt great and like home
immediately. The bungalows are absolutely not dark or in a dark
forest, there are just some trees and
plants..

The pool area was beautiful and it was very quiet when we were there. The restaurant was ok, but we decided to rent a motorbike from the resort and eat somewhere else and explored the island.

The staff was very friendly.

What I especially liked that there was a Big fridge Outside the bungalow, two sunbeds and a huge sofa with mosquito net outside.

Nothing to complain at all, a great place to relax!

• Stayed March 2010
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This is an amazing place. The hotel is tucked away down a forest road that you could easily pass without notice. Once you arrive you notice how well planned the layout, and how beautiful the property are. Bungalows are very well constructed; huge windows; open air shower; air con; room safe; soft beds for Thailand; flat screens; very clean. All bungalows have roofed concrete decks with comfy lounge area with giant mosquito netting and ceiling fans. Outdoor fridge and tea service are wonderfully convenient. Infinity pool on the beach. Pool takes three minutes to swim end to end as it curves around the point. Patio dining in the restaurant overlooks fantastic bay. Restaurant serves the full spectrum of dishes, and seafood bbq buffet every other evening, breakfast is expansive buffet. Several family's present with plenty of space for everyone. Spa is high quality and you must book 1 day before as the schedule is always full. Very peaceful wonderful hidden place grounds ideally situated. The most fun island to explore on bicycle or scooter as the large roads are in good repair and traffic is minimal. Local villages are open and welcoming with great food smells from the kitchens.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I spent five days at Yao Yai Village in late November. Nearly every aspect of our stay was perfect.

The resort grounds are beautifully landscaped, lush and peaceful. The pool is amazing, and the view from the pool area is to die for. Guests visiting this resort should be aware that while it is ocean-front, the beach isn't really a swimming beach, nor is the sand that great for lounging. We knew this before going, and therefore we were not disappointed. The pool truly makes up for it.

Our bungalow was fantastic - the bed was extremely comfortable; I adored the outdoor shower; but I think my favorite part was the enormous patio complete with comfy sofa under mosquito netting. My only complaint about the bungalow was a lack of any sort of drawers/shelves to store our clothing - nice to have when you're staying somewhere for more than a couple of days.

Koh Yao Yai is an extremely quiet island - that's one of the reasons we were attracted to it - but we managed to fill our days exploring. We rented motorbikes from the resort one day and had a great time riding on the one long, quiet road between the various villages. We also went on an "Islands Exploring" excursion, which was a ton of fun. Based on conversations with other tourists, I would recommend this excursion over the Phi Phi Islands or James Bond Island excursions.

Our only continuous frustration with the resort was with service. While there were a few exceptional staff people, the majority not only spoke next to no English, but were also very clearly working in a customer service role for the first time. For example, one day we ordered lunch at the pool bar. After our order was served (minus one missing dish), the bartender disappeared, never once checking in to ask how things were, if we wanted another drink, etc. I actually needed to walk back into the kitchen to flag a staff person to bring us our missing plate of rice. That said, frustrations like this were minor and didn't affect our overall enjoyment of the resort, and I believe they could easily be remedied with additional staff training.

In short, if you have patience and a sense of humor when it comes to service, this resort is as close to perfection. I hope to return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

After lots of apprehensions, I booked this resort, taking a chance and I must say, this was the best thing I did in my entire trip to Thailand.
As soon as I reached Phuket, I was so warmly welcomed in the airport itself that I was sure my decision to book the resort is going to be worth it. Through a ferry, reached Koh Yao Yai Island and there was another vehicle waitng for us to take us to the resort. We were welcomed in the beautiful resort by Anna and a welcome drink which was as refreshing as the place itself. Both, me and my wife just fell in love with the place and went aroung the resort . It was a tranquil, isolated place, beautifully done with all the small things in mind. Our Bunglow was as amazing as other things ....... a huge open patio, big clean room and and equally big bathroom with an open concept shower. Just thrilled with our choice, we straightaway headed to the pool area which we had heard the most about............. and should I say, it was breath-taking..... as the name said, it was actually an INFINITY pool with views where u cannot differentiate where the pool ended and where the ocean started..............!!
Yeah, one thing that I think, the resort can be more creative in, is to include some night activities or night life corner, since the place becomes all dark at 8 and you have absolutely nothing to do. However, we requested for a DVD player and we enjoyed lovely songs with Vodka shots in our patio............!!
Next day, we headed for a Sea Canoe trip. We were accompanied by Yop, for whom I should say, was the best guide, I have ever got in any of my trips. He did all his best throught out our trip to make us feel as comfortable as possible. The trip was also very well organised.
We stayed there for 2 nights only and so much wished we had stayed here longer !! THere is a beautifully done library from where u can pick up books at ur ease ........and infact, the collection is also really good !
For the food, had read very negative comments but I would totally disagree...... Both, me and my wife really liked the food even. The restaurant is at an apt location near the pool and the beach and the food is real good........... We liked the Thai food, sea food platter and i guess everything that we had !!
All in all, was a great experience to stay in this resort and how badly we wished, we had stayed a little longer................. !!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
phuket
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I was in oktober 2010 in yaoyairvillage for 2 nights, it was really a ruin, especially the staff was unfriendly. after 1 day I stay I was ill, because the food was too old or there was something else in the kitchen, they were unsanitary. The room where I sleep was impractical and there were to many mosquitos and insects. The price was too expensive for evrything. The other tourists who was there in the same time like me were also not happy, they told me that they have nice time at other resorts. I can write many many story about yaoyaivillage, but it's better when I only say, don't go, its really a mistake!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Koh Yao Yai Village? Share your experiences!