“nice hotel - but caged monkeys?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sea World Club Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maumere
Sea World Club Beach Resort
You added Sea World Club Beach Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Waiara Beach, Maumere, Flores 86112, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Maumere
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“nice hotel - but caged monkeys?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel was better than I expected given the mixed reviews. I recommend it, but with a few cautions.
My first caution is this: do NOT go out of your way to head to Seaworld thinking exotic resort, stunning beach, awesome snorkeling.... we actually met a family who had flown in from Bali for two days especially having heard how good the snorkeling is. It isn’t! There are some nice corals if you swim out a hundred or so metres, but the fish are fairly sparse. The beach is actively net-fished by the villagers every evening, which probably accounts for why there are not millions of fish. What fish are there are interesting, but few compared (for example) to Amed in Bali, and not a patch on what can be seen on islands around Labuan Bajo or Riung. I’m sure, if you were into diving or wanted to take some snorkeling boat trips, you would see more - we didn’t do that. As for the beach, it’s a greyish pebbly thing that won’t get Australians excited. It’s pleasant enough, but not spectacularly beautiful.
If you are passing through Maumere, though, Seaworld makes a great place to spend a few days. It is genuinely peaceful and relaxing. During the day you might almost think you were alone, and yet the place was fully booked. There was plenty of room for my kids to safely go exploring. The grounds are well kept with lots of good shady spots. The beach bar is a top place to be during happy hour (4pm-6pm) and sunset, which can be very pretty.
The staff were excellent. There are a number of Indonesian staff who speak excellent English, including in the restaurant where the young man in charge there has a bachelor’s degree in English. The place really had the feel of being well-managed. Everyone really went out of their way to help us and make us feel relaxed and looked after. This was from the more senior Indonesian staff, the German owner and the young work experience people who were delightful. Seaworld was one of the few places in Flores where the high school work experience kids really did seem to be being trained at least in some form (coming out to listen to experienced staff take orders in the restaurant, for example), rather than just being used as free labour as seems to be the case everywhere else.
The food in general was good. We stayed four days and sampled most of the menu. One exception was the pizza. I imagine the person making it had never seen nor eaten a pizza as the pastry was almost an inch think and kind of wet. Steamed in a pan under a lid was my guess.
Free WiFi is available. It was good enough to watch the Hawks beat the Magpies (Australian football) on my laptop!
I also liked the fact that they would refill water bottles in the restaurant without charge.
We thought our room was hideously expensive ($90 USD), but that’s because they were fully booked on their cheaper rooms and we had to take a fancy room. What we got was way too extravagant for us. Two bedrooms, an indoor lounge room and a front porch lounge room. It was really very tasteful and nice to be around. We also got a fully cooked breakfast for four people included. So while it was expensive, it was probably not enormously overpriced for what it was.
One big negative for me... The presence of two white monkeys in 19th-century-style cages. I really, really hated seeing that. Maybe being white, they would not survive in the wild... maybe there was a good reason for having them there, locked up for life.... if so, would love to have seen something to explain... It bothered me the whole time I was there.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love a hotel that does not list it's location by an address but rather by its GPS coordinates. On Flores, far way from the well trodden tourist tracks, this is excellent place to stay. The staff are courteous, friendly, customer orientated and speak English. The hotel guests are mostly westerners though, over the weekend, the place livens up with local families coming to enjoy the beach.

The hotel picked me up from Maumere airport. It was a 30 minutes drive to the hotel. The weather was cool when I stayed here (surprisingly much cooler than Bali).

I had a quiet large beach front bungalow to myself. One double bed plus kids single. It has an air conditioner, fan, fridge, kettle, coffee, tea, mosquito netting and incense. Use the mosquito netting. The bathroom facilities are reasonably adequate, nothing fancy.

WiFi is available in the common areas: reception, restaurant and beach bar. There is a scuba shop on the grounds. I was told that scuba dives are done at Pulau Besar, a boat trip away.

Happy hour is 4p to 6p. Grab a seat and a beer on the beach, and watch the sunset. At around 6p, the restaurant staff will come around to take you order for dinner which starts at 7p. Try the fresh fish - it was excellent. Try their Baratak cocktail (arak+lemon juice), it has the kick of a water buffalo.

As the sun slowly sets below the horizon, watch the fishermen push out to sea. See their fishing lanterns twinkle in the ocean horizon. Look up and see the Milky Way.

This is Flores, not Bali. Set you expectations right and you won't be disappointed. I really enjoyed this hotel because it reminds me of hotels before the tourists came.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were so looking forward to staying here, as we had just spent the last 4 days travelling overland on Flores, and we just wanted to rest and relax and enjoy the beautiful ocean view. Our oceanfront bungelow room was very huge and clean, with a lovely little front porch, and they put out 2 loungers for us on the beach when we arrived. The air conditioning however barely kept the room cool, it was not very powerful. There was a ceiling fan, but it was so loud it wasn't pleasant to leave on. They did have a small battery operated fan to use, which I needed as it was so hot in the room. There are alot of local children playing in the ocean and beach right in front of our room, I'm not sure why this area is not kept private? The food was not really good at all, but the wonderful girl who worked in the restaurant was so friendly and pleasant. When my husband went to pay for the room their credit card machine was not working, so he had to pay in cash, which thankfully he had. What made matters worse was the people working at the front desk at that time could barely speak English, so it was hard to communicate what was going on with the credit card situation. We had an early flight so they gave us a 'breakfast box' to go, which had an egg, some overly ripe banana's in it, 2 pieces of bread and a cheese slice, nice gesture, but really not too edible. Free transportation to airport. The grounds are beautifully landscaped.

Room Tip: I think we chose Bungelow No. 4 or 5? right on the beach, the room was huge, clean, but hot.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Basic resort cottage with mosquito net, AC, fridge and warm shower. Location is outside town and noises. There's dive center and bar on beach with black sand.

Room Tip: Garden cottage was ok, and cheaper than the other at beach.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had a night in Maumere before a liveaboard dive trip. The dive company recommended Sea World Club. We were happy with the choice and it exceeded our expectations of a hotel in a remote town on a remote island of Indonesia. Our visit was just before the rainy season and it was uncomfortably hot.

The Sea World Club is right on the beach. It is just 100 ft to water across a stretch of dark sand punctuated with the occasional palm tree. The water’s edge was clean and free of odors. In the morning, we noticed the staff raking up debris.

Our room was a comfortable suite – beach house #1. It was clean, free of insects, and thankfully air conditioned. There was a big king bed – a bit hard for our taste – with optional mosquito netting, a refrigerator, in room coffee, a work desk, some pictures for decoration, a wardrobe closet and drawers combination, bedside nightstands with reading lights, and a sitting area with two big chairs next to a big window. There was an outdoor covered patio however it was too warm for our comfort. The bathroom was clean, with no odor, no bugs, and no mold/mildew that are common in less advanced regions. The bathroom was not air conditioned and the décor was a bit older and the fixtures were water stained. We appreciated good hot water, nice towels, and basic toiletries.

From the comfort of our air conditioned room we enjoyed the fisherman working their nets morning and night. Each catch was pitifully small suggesting that the growing population is overfishing the region. The look of disappointment on their faces was moving. Also during our stay we watched naked local children playing in the water. And when not entertained by such outside activity we checked our email on the well-functioning internet at Sea World Club. They offer three plans: $1.50 for an hour up to $4 for 5 hours. Hint: in order to stretch your purchase, simply log off after downloading the emails and web pages you need.

Breakfast – omelets or eggs, fresh squeezed juice, toasted local bread, coffee, etc -- was included with our room price. We purchased dinner. Our order was taken at 4PM for a 7PM seating. Our chose of asparagus soup, grilled fresh catch of the day, potatoes, vegetable side dish and guacamole side dish cost just $16 and could have fed 4 persons. The food was excellent. Wine and beer were available for $4.50/glass and $3.50 for 0.6L bottle.

We were most amazed by the service oriented attitude of the staff. They seem to *really * want to help. And they always had a smile on their face, as if someone told them “be friendly and more commerce will come”. The staff’s English was good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

The place was managed by catholic clergy made the areas very clean, green and quiet although the place was located near village and an estuary. The room rates are reasonable. Yet, the best thing from this place is the calm and clean black sand beach. It was like a giant swimming pool for me, and if you want to go for snorkeling, the hotel offers service for boat reantal and they will take you to some islands nearby. You can also dive, with a dive gude (NOT a dive master) ...

The location is pretty far from anywhere, so make sure you eat your dinner before their kitchen closed before 9PM, or you will end up with empty stomach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed 2 nights in a standard room and found the bathroom very poor maintained and dirty.
The sink was almost coming from the wall and the shower was just a pipe with cold water falling down. But worse, the bathroom was full with crawling insects. I really had to put my shoes on to enter the dirty bathroom.
The foreign manager was very unpolite when I arrived. She hearty welcomed a German couple with who I shared a taxi and at the same time completely ignored me. She arranged someone to carry the luggage for the german couple and I had to carry my own bag. This was probably because I hadn't booked any tours with her, so no commission for her I suppose. Or was it because I am not German?
There are not many other options in Maumere, so I suppose the get away with it, but if any competition is coming here, they have to take care. It must be said that the local staff was extremely friendly.

Room Tip: They say the suites are better.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sea World Club Beach Resort? Share your experiences!