“Good idea for business trip” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Sylvia Hotel
Jalan Gajah Mada 88, Maumere, Flores, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Maumere
“Good idea for business trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I visited the hotel twice in the last 3 months for business trip. The hotel is located in the city and not far from Airport. It is easily to be accessed by using local transportation.
The room is spacious and clean. Facilities of the hotel is average with pool and gymnastic room.
Breakfast menus are not the best thing in this hotel. They serve Indonesian food like noodles, fried rice and sometimes with spicy chicken in the coconut milk. The bread is not really tasty with very limited choice of jam and butter. I prefer to buy my own bread and skip the breakfast in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask the room near the pool on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had paid for my two night stay and checkout around 11:30 AM that morning. I paid cash and they printed me out a receipt then put their hotel stamp on it. I turned in my key for the room at that time. Then I preceded to sit in the hotel lobby for about another 20 minutes waiting for my friend to pick me up and take me to the airport.

About 30 minutes after arriving to the airport I was outside sitting on the steps smoking a cigarette. At this time I see one of the bellboys with a older man. The bellboy points at me and they both approach me. The older man had a copy of my passport in his hand along with my hotel bill. He then told me that I needed to come back to the hotel to settle my bill. I told them that I had paid it.

Then luckily, I had kept my receipt because I had to pull it out and show them. The older man took some time to look it over as if I had forged a printed out receipt with their hotel stamp on it. Then at that time the older man told me that they have two receptionists and that is where the confusion was. He then mumbled sorry turned and walked away. Really, after basically accusing me of being a thief that's all your going to say!

This taught me a very valuable lesson to always keep all my hotel receipts until I'm out of that country. What if I hadn't run in to them, would they have informed the Immigration office that I had skipped out on my bill?

So I just want to warn you, that just because their a business hotel they are not very professional!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I’m told this is the best hotel in Maumere. We did try, without success, to find a better one.

We got a bit stuck at Hotel Sylvia here and though we didn’t really like it, we stayed three nights. Despite my slightly grumpy comments below, it seems a very good option and good value if you are in transit and not sticking around long enough to get annoyed.

My experience: I was quite put-off the whole place on my first day there when I asked to make a phone call (a local one). The answer was “No,” which I found extraordinary. I was happy to pay, but the answer was still “No.” I was told I had to use my “handphone”. When I explained I do not have one, I was then told to get one of the drivers hanging around out the front to make the call for me!

Aside from that, I will try to be objective. Hotel Sylvia is a traditional large (70 plus rooms) western-style commercial hotel, three floors high with a courtyard in the middle and a pool. Rooms are conventional hotel layout with, TV (good cable, including movie channels). The pool area is reasonably nice, but quite cold as it doesn’t see a lot of sun. There’s a restaurant (more on that later) and free WiFi in the lobby area. WiFi worked mostly but was a bit slow.

People staying here are a mixed lot. Indonesian business people. Aid and development workers at a conference on child exploitation. Travellers, like us, entering and leaving Flores.
The rooms are cheap and good value: 300,000rp (about $32) including a buffet breakfast (more on that in a second).

Things are a bit shabby and old, especially the bathroom, but it’s pretty clean. Western muzak – mostly ‘sad songs’ play quietly in the foyer. The staff are nice, but sometimes seemed absurdly confused by my requests, even when I spoke in Indonesian. Over our three day stay we increasingly found the staff to be a bit lazy. I began to feel anxious about asking for food and drinks as staff behind the counter always seemed to be put-out to be asked to cook something or unlock the fridge so I could have a drink. There was a lot of aimless standing around of permanent staff, whereas the high school student on work experience seemed to be run off her feet, especially at breakfast, clearing tables, re-stocking food and so forth. Things at breakfast took a long time to be restocked while adult staff stood around apparently doing little, behind a counter.

The walls in the whole place could do with a wash. The rooms were cleaned each day, though.
Other points? Location.... It’s right next door to a bemo stop for those who travel that way. Otherwise there are drivers everywhere hanging about looking for work.

The location is a on a really boring street about 2km from the centre of town (not sure there is much in the centre of town either, my driver kept taking me elsewhere and no one is in a hurry to show me. ) There seemed nothing really to walk and look at close by.

Food.... The hotel food was not very good. Menu choices were often ‘not available’ – no spaghetti (the only western option). No squid... What did come out was bland.
Breakfast on the first morning (meant to be a buffet), was a bit odd and lacked variety. It was quite unappealing to westerners, even those of us who happily eat fried rice for breakfast. Kentucky-style deep fried chicken. Deep fried sandwiches. I am not joking! A soup with chicken vegetable and sausage that (weird, I know) both my children actually liked. And a huge plate of tiny omlettes that were quite tasty. On the second morning there were a few better choices – deep fried fish in sweet sauce and a tempe tofu dish that was ok. On the final morning there was a chicken soup and the bones from the chicken appeared to have been thrown into the stir fried vegetable dish. It really was strange. It was impossible to get powdered milk for coffee, but carnation milk was available on request. Pity about the ten minute wait each morning for someone to go and get it. Free water was available in a dispenser.

The chips at dinner were nice. But the next day we ordered 4 plates of them for lunch. Fifty minutes later we asked whether they’d be coming soon. We were the only guests eating and there were at least three staff there, so should not have been a problem. Two plates of stone cold chips arrived a minute later. Then a third plate of slightly cold chips. Then finally a plate of deliciously hot chips, straight from the oil. Obviously they’d been cooked a plate at a time. But why hold up the order for 50 minutes and let it go cold? And leave us sitting at a table with hungry kids (aged 7 and 4) for so long?

All in all the place seemed to lack management. It has a fitness room, but the floor seemed have been mopped perhaps never – and there were no mats to do stretching or floor exercises. One morning an iron cover (perhaps 1.5 metres square) had been taken off the pool filter room, which is in a cavity perhaps ten feet below the tiles around the pool. Someone (one of my kids possibly) not expecting it, could easily have walked into it and been killed or badly hurt - not expecting a 10 foot deep pit to suddenly appear beside a pool! There were no staff around and it was off for the half hour we were there. Dishes from guests who had been sitting around the pool in the evening were still there in the early afternoon the next day.

One last point, the warung just 20 metres up the road – Warung Wares 77 – cooks fantastic and varied food. Skip the hotel food and go there instead. The kitchen is amazing to see, a bit scary, but great food comes out of it. The lonsong sayur and the tempe was delicious– it can be a bit slow and they will take orders in advance (just a suggestion) and have them ready for you at a certain time. The road itself is noisy and sitting about for long isn’t much fun. They also have beer although it isn’t on the menu.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Salisbury, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Sylvia is right next to the terminal for transport to / from Ende and points west. It’s a decent haven after the rigours of the trans-Flores highway. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful. Bemos into town pass the door.

The hotel is fairly new, though not well maintained. I stayed two nights, one in a standard room (OK) and one in a de-luxe. This cost 50% more, price non-negotiable. It was bigger but hardly any better equipped so not worth the extra. Beds and air-con were very good. Both bathrooms had irritating faults – plugs sticking closed or open, clanging pipes. Hot water came and went.

The restaurant food is adequate but uninspiring. In the evening try walking down towards town. In less than 1km on the left you’ll find roadside stalls where they grill your choice of fresh fish and serve it with little bags of sambal. Delicious to eat there or take away. It’s a genuine and enjoyable Maumere experience, and cheap too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

This hotel still needs some work in the management, F&B and facilities. Karaoke Rooms should be SOUND PROOF if they plan to have it opened until late. They should also hire a cook and train all staff on how to treat guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed here one night after my trip to Kelimutu, the three colored lakes. The room was nice and had decent amount of furniture to make it comfortable. There wasn't much decor and the room seemed far more basic because of it. There was a TV and minibar. They had some small toiletries in the bathroom which was clean. The TV didn't have a lot of foreign language channels which was ok since I was more interested in reading.

They have a restaurant and dinner was ok. A breakfast buffet was included and even though they said they would have it ready a half hour early, it was not ready. They had free wi-fi in the lobby area. There really isn't much to do in the area surrounding the hotel. I took a walk and got the impression locals weren't used to seeing foreign tourists. The hotel has a pool and I saw a few people enjoying it.

The A/C was very good. I slept easily and thought the bed comfortable. After staying the last few nights in a far more rustic setting, I really enjoyed being at the Sylvia Hotel and would stay again if I were in Maumere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sylvia Hotel? Share your experiences!