“Fantastic views & excellent food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorisol Pousada dos Vinhaticos

You added Dorisol Pousada dos Vinhaticos to your Saves list
Dorisol Pousada dos Vinhaticos
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Serra d'Agua, Ribeira Brava, Madeira 9350-306, Portugal   |
Marlborough
“Fantastic views & excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This Hotel is full of surprises, friendly efficient staff, many linen changes in my lovely Log Cabin room with stupendous views of the local mountains and down the steep escarpment to the village in the valley below. The short walk to the Log Cabin Block had Agapanthus growing wild. My cabin room had two easy chairs a good glass-topped table and comfortable twin beds. Large shuttered windows opened wide to let in the fresh air and scents of the Chestnut trees below. My bathroom had bath/shower over bidet WC & basin set in a large marble slab with a good mirror above, there was plenty of hanging and drawer space though the hangers were the worst feature. The Dining room in the main older stone building was large and white linen tablecloths & napkins in lovely shapes decked the long table assigned to our group of seventeen. All the food was freshly cooked and was presented exquisitely and tasted magnificent. Expert use of native ingredients with sometimes unusual combinations left us delighted. Menu planning was well thought out, as a Home Economist I would certainly put it at the top of my list for a unique experience.

Room Tip: Those in the main hotel were pleased with their rooms, I liked the log cabin location & it had a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

It was fantastic view and location for those who likes a nature and mountains but our room was not the wooden room and smaller than I was expecting for the money. It looked like an attic at all and it was not exactly what it looks like in the pictures!
We requested a wooden room but desk clerk said they were full. We were staying in the main building and they said that they offer free wifi on the downstairs of the building, but we could not catch a signal.
We stayed in 5 hotels while in Madeira and this hotel was the most expensive hotel(€ 55)but we didn't get what we pay for! We felt disappointed!

The location is stunning and I loved mountains and green valley. But I don't recommend this hotel to young people who (like us) don't want to spend too much money in the accommodation. There were a lot of older people so it might be a good hotel for them…

Room Tip: wooden room!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is in a stunning location with breathtaking views from the room and dining areas. The meals at the hotel restaurant were excellent and reasonably priced. Our room was basic, but clean and very cozy. We could not get any channels to work on the satellite tv. Be sure to have a car and good map in order to locate the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

A lovely place to stay, in the mountains. Restaurant was very good, although there was a rather "drainy" smell in the main building all the time. The log cabins were a little way away from the main building and so dragging the cases there was a challenge, but the setting was so beautiful - it didn't matter. Stayed a couple of nights and did some levada walking in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This Pousada is in a beautiful location in Madeira. Unfortunately during our stay it was very cool, windy and rainy. Due to this and the age of the hotel the room was very cold. However the grounds and location compensated for the terrible weather. The rooms could use some updating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zwolle, Overijssel, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

During a 8-day trip around Madeira I stayed at this Pousada. The hotel is at 600m altitude, near a valley with great views. We thoroughly enjoyed the views, and the hiking options nearby.
We enjoyed both the breakfast and dinner in the main building of the Pousada a lot, and also ordered a lunch packet from the hotel. After dinner, we descended from the restaurant into the lounge where we had a nice Poncha as a nightcap.
The atmosphere in the hotel, restaurant and lounge was very nice, and I have also had very interesting conversations with the hotel staff.
We were staying in the wooden huts behind the main building. These were basic, but surely decent enough to stay in for a week or more. Our room was on the upper floor of the building, and heard that the rooms downstairs are more noisy. You can hear the person above you quite well, I was told.
When I visit Madeira gain and want to go hiking again, I will definitely stay at the Pousada again. I will request a room in the upper floor of the wooden huts, or a room in the main building.

Room Tip: If you are not staying in the main building, request a room in the upper floor of the wooden huts.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed here for 10 days before Christmas 2012. I chose it mainly because I had never stayed in any pousada, and I also wanted to visit Madeira. I am so glad I did. The tripadvisor reviews are mixed - ignore them. The guidebooks are also mixed - one claimed it is "noisy" - ignore them. The site is wonderful - in the mountains with stunning views. With a hire car (or the very good Madeira buses) you can get anywhere from here, including Funchal - a very quick ride on the expressway. I alternated walking (very well situated here for the Encumeada and high plateau walks) and museums/sightseeing (very well situated, again, for the excellent museums/galleries/churches in Funchal. The pousada has a slightly retro seventies feel to it - an alpine lodge with a separate "log cabin" where I stayed. The accommodation is comfortable though, as I say, retro. And the walls could do with a little better insulation. Most nights were very quiet but one was graced by audio from the neighbouring room of very prolonged and mysteriously unsatisfying relations between ... I could only guess. Some sound insulation between rooms would be nice. I do not recognise the odd remarks here about the service. I found it very good. There is a team of waiters with different personalities, but I had good advice (about walking) from one and friendly service from all. The food is good - similar in menu to most of the other restaurants in Madeira that I tried, but generally well cooked. It is also much more characterful and interesting here than I imagine the standard hotels in Funchal are ...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dorisol Pousada dos Vinhaticos? Share your experiences!