“Couldnt ask for more..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 67 Specialty Lodging in Sidari
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Couldnt ask for more..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed here in july 2012 , holiday started off badly as me and my girlfriend were dropped off at the wrong hotel but Eleni came out and collected us at 2AM! with no charge , the room was basic but was clean and tidy , pool was lovely , decent size and was never crowded, its about a ten minute walk to the beach and town but its a scenic walk through some fields so it wasnt too bad! very friendly place and would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
South Shields
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed here in June 2008. We had heard terrible reviews about this place but we thought it was nice. Very pretty outside and a lovely big pool. It was never crowded and had a lovely atmosphere. The food we had there was tasty and reAsonable in price.. The main strip is about a ten - fifteen mins stroll. Fine for us, but it was up a dark road. It wasnt a problem tho as it isn't that busy. The owners were very nice, they were helpful and sai hello every morning. There were two kitten running around when we were there, very cute and family orientated place I thought. I would stay again without worry. The inside of the apartment was a bit dated but it was fine for our needs and I believe they have now been refurbished. All in all, a nice stay and I would go back without hesitation, I would recommend

• Stayed July 2011
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Stayed here 4 times now and will be returning in June 2012!!!
The place is spotless and the pool area is absolutely pristine, the pool is also away from the roadside unlike many other complex's in Sidari.
The bar is well stocked with international brands, looking at some previous reviews of people moaning about the bar prices, you people need to get a reality check and stop drinking in the slums!!! 2 euros for a pint of local beer is damn good value to me, and if anyone says its cheaper at the supermarket then ask the supermarket how much it is to use their swimming pool, EXACTLY, THEY DON'T HAVE ONE!!!
Food is very nice, all fresh home cooked to order, not pre-cooked as stated in other reviews.
The family that own this place are fantastic, very welcoming and they really look after you.
Rooms are all very clean with everything you need, cleaned every day except for Sunday. most rooms have a pool view too.
If you want a cheap relaxing holiday this is the place to come, if you want 5 star treatment for the price of 3 star then stay at home and keep moaning about the price of beer!!!
We will return 10/10 A+++
Carl & Julie

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

ideal place for holidays.nothing was any bother for the owners,can highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

If you are a regular traveller to Sidari and are looking for somewhere new in the Sidari area to stay then read on. If you are looking to visit either Corfu or Sidari for the first time, from my experience I would not choose Sidari again. It does not have any draw or appeal over any other resort on the Island - for us anyway. I toured the Island extensively during my stay and there are some much better resorts which equal and better Sidari without the hassle of in some cases up to 2 hours on precarious roads in darkness to get from the airport. So if you are still keen and as I say this is just my experience of Sidari then you can read on about my stay at the Eleni Apartments.

Booked our stay direct with thomson.co.uk. Thomson have contracted the whole of the complex and it is only available through them in the UK. It was a very reasonable rate for two weeks self catering in a Studio for two, in July/August. When we arrived at the Eleni, we had made our own way and had no rep to show us to our room and the bar had closed as it was 3am. I had to scour the complex to find a room with a key in the door. Having been to Greece I know this is how room keys can be left. Concerned though that perhaps other guests would arrive after us and we were in the wrong studio I had to go round all the other doors to make sure that there were no other rooms with keys in doors, then satisfied that the only room with a key in the door was ours we made our way in. Our room was on the top floor of the larger L-shaped block. We had the room in the corner of the L. What I did not appreciate when we booked was that the balcony was a shared one and as we were in the corner we had a small ammount of space to ourselves before you were practically on top of the table and chairs of the guests either side. It did not really bother me that much as I do not sit on the balcony all that much but if you do, then this room would not be for you as there is a huge concrete support post blocking your view. The upside of this corner room was it was larger than the other studios in this block. I had read some reviews saying rooms were quite small, whereas this one was fairly large. We had a small shower room with toilet, and basin, all nicely tiled and modern. The toilet door did not lock but that did not bother us. The kitchenette was adequate with sink, drainer, two ring hob and fridge with small freezer compartment. There was only enough crockery and cutlery for the occupants and only just enough utensils for basic cooking but we never cooked once! The kitchenette was separated from the sleeping area by a half wall, on the kitchen side of it was also a cute little table and chairs for two. Our beds were comfortable, hardly any drawer space but shelves in the wardobes were substituted and once unpacked it was not a bad little home from home.

The pool on the copmplex is very large, 3m deep at the deep end. There is no paddling pool for small kids. There are plenty of beds around the pool and the Eleni did not seem to attract guests from outside like in other complexes in Greece, so it never felt like it was full. Picking out a couple of unoccupied beds near the shallow end we enjoyed our first day relaxing by the pool. We learnt later in the day though that this was obviously someone elses spot, when a family came back from wherever they had been that day and took chairs from the bar and sat nearly on top of us being loud and obnoxious until we had could not bear to sit there and left for the room. Sure enough they took those beds by the time we looked from the balcony. I soon realised that most of the guest here had dabs on a particular spot by the pool, well all I can say is if you are not in your spot by 11am, dont come glaring at me when am sitting there. It was petty made us feel awkward. The Texas pool bar did a lovely breakfast, the Texas breakfast with hash browns being my favourite and it set you up for the day. The family who run it are not the friendliest Greek Family I have and can sound a bit surly and patronising calling you sir or ma'am everytime you ordered something. On ordering drinks I was asked if I would be coming to the Greek night on the Monday and as I had already made plans I said no, maybe the following week, I was told it didnt matter they only did it every other week and the change was thrust in my hand whilst she turned her attention to someone else. They also show very recent films of an evening in the bar which is a great idea if you dont want to go out and about.

The Eleni is set on the road into Sidari from Corfu Town about a 5 minute walk from the main junction which has a petrol station on one side and the Markato supermarket on the other. The nearest cash machine was at Markato but it never worked with my car so you had to go right into the centre which is about 20 mins walk but you will pass bars and tavernas on the way in. My Favourite bar was buddies, just on the left after passing Markato on way in. Nice staff and good service. The road had no pavement at all and its best to walk with traffic coming towards you. The Centre is one long strip of thankfully paved road with shops, tavernas and bars, the beach is set off to one side and has plenty to do watersport wise. If you like your food from home there is a McDonalds and a Soutern Fried Chicken. Good restaurants we went to, Pancho's Villa - Mexican on the bend in road upstairs, Sea Breeze opposite and Roof Garden next door, went to each twice. Mythos in the Canal area is not bad either. Most do serve the same menu so its not like you miss out if you try somewhere new.

We did hire a car for a few days to explore outside of the area. After all Sidari only has one unique attraction - the Canal d'amour which once you have seen it, well thats it. We made enquiries in advance from UK with ValuePlus and got a decent rate but nothing back from them when I wanted to confirm it. when I went into the office just down from Buddies bar, I was met by Rachel and what a treat she is! All I can say is if you hate you job get out of it and dont slag off your boss to the customers. She was not convinced I had a booking but when I mentioned that a Rachel had sent me the email she soon changed tact and admitted that was her and she finally wrote a booking in her book. We went into the hills to a tiny village called Makrades, they sell really authentic greek items like honey, wine, cheese etc. Went to Paleokastritsa, St Georges North and South both very pretty places. Loved Benitses, a haven for 18-30's in the 1980's, now a very pretty and unrushed place. We went into Corfu town twice, lots to see and plenty of your more desirable shops. Dassia and Ipsos and Kassiopi are all very much far nicer resorts, both having lots to do day or night and feeling much more like attractive surroundings.

We booked a trip with Vlaseros Travel, you cant miss it on the main stretch in Sidari. The trip was a boat down to Mouse Island (Kanoni Area) the bus did not turn up at the pick up and we waited 90 mins in searing heat before giving it up. Went to the office latter after trying to call them without reply. The guy was very apologetic even getting on the phone to rant at someone. He booked us same day onto the evening cruise to Corfu town which was good value for money and meant the day did not feel like it had been wasted. I would recommend the trip just make sure you take yourself a jacket in case its cool on ay back under the stars.

One last thing, there are a number of stray dogs in the resort and if you are an animal lover then dont go because its quite upsetting. The Greeks are friendly with the Brits but then I suppose they dont get any cash out of the animals so dont have to be nice to them. After October I dont know what happens to these dogs when there are no tourists plying them with scraps. Once lady who lives here, originally from UK called Andrea is doing all she can and regularly despatches strays to Holland and Germany where it is easier to get in and offer them a better life. She has a small internet cafe in Canal called Gas - Just dont take Strays there, they have more than enough to cope with. It would be nice though if visitors make a contribution of indeed enquire about taking one home with you like us!

I would travel to Corfu again, it is stunning but for me Sidari did not hit the spot.

Stayed July 2007
Henlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

I have just spent two weeks at the Eleni apartments (20 Jun - 4 Jul) with my husband and had a fantastic time. The studios (there are also apartments) are small but adequate. Bright curtains/bedspreads and wooden furniture give the rooms a modern feel and we were very comfortable during our stay.

The pool is one of the biggest we saw in Sidari and there are plenty of loungers and parasols to go round.

The pool bar serves great food - don't miss the chicken souvlaki for a snack - and is run by the friendly owners. Greek night is run once a week and is a very enjoyable evening.

With no kids pool, and most of the rooms sleeping only two people, most of the guests were couples and there were very few children. This seems to create a very friendly atmosphere, and we soon found we could name most of the people round the pool!

Eleni Apartments are situated near the end of the resort, which I think was the best place to be. Within 5-10 min walk you will find supermarkets and a handful of great bars and restaurants. A further five minutes has you at the main beach, and the heart of town which you may not be keen on if you don't like noisy bars. A further ten minutes takes you to the Canal d'Amour area which has lovely bars and restaurants, and small pretty beaches.
This location has the advantage of being the first drop-off/last pick-up for most excursions, including the airport transfer.

I have been frustrated by negative reviews I have read elsewhere about Eleni, generally focused around toilet roll. Some travellers obviously do not realise that most Greek holiday accomodation provide you with your first toilet roll, but you have to buy more!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Eleni Apartments? Share your experiences!