“Idyllic Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Marsh Harbour
Long Island City, New York
“Idyllic Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Abaco Club from April11-13. We swam, played tennis, golf, kayaked, ran on the beach, had massages, worked out, and just relaxed at this Ritz Carlton location.

We were celebrating my husband's 40th birthday and when I made the reservations, I told them that I wanted to make our stay special. That was the only thing they dropped the ball on. They gave me the phone number for the concierge and I organized a special meal, a couple's massage and transportation from the airport to the hotel. However, when I hadn't received any emails prior to our arrival, I called the hotel to find out that apart from our reservation, noting had been planned for us. Apparently the concierge whom I spoke to was out on sick leave and didn't pass our information on to anyone else. So the couple massage that I thought I had booked on my husband's birthday wasn't possible any longer because all the appointments had booked up. We did end up doing it the day before.

Breakfast and dinner was very good, up in the main dining room and lunch was served on the beach at Buster's. Also very good. The only issue I had with our dinner was that for my husband's birthday, I was told that it was noted and that the chef may prepare something special. No one acknowledged this when we arrived at the restaurant and so when my husband went to the bathroom and I told our waitress, she was completely unaware. They did end up putting a candle I his dessert, but if I hadn't said anything, nothing would have been done

We had a cabana beside the golf course which was very nice and well appointed. Everyone gets golf carts to drive around the property.

The beach is simply spectacular!

Gym is decent for a hotel. Three treadmills, free weights, and strength machines.

A taxi from the airport was $80 each way.

We would definitely recommend the hotel for a relaxing getaway or family vacation. There was no night life at all.

Room Tip: Beed Cooper was the concierge who helped me organize the spa and dinner for my husband. He was very...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Woodbridge, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We had a very rough start with American Express travel messing up our flights to and from Abaco, but once we got there all was better. We were greeted by very cheerful front desk staff and all of our bags and car were taken care of while we viewed the property. I don't have enough good things to say about the lovely location, the views are breathtaking! We made reservations for a late dinner and were shown to our lovely cabanna. It was larger than a hotel room with a screened in wrap around porch. It was my husband and myself and our two kids age 11 and 6. We had a wonderful dinner, yes, it is expensive but you are in a resort so I was expecting that. The kids can play pool or chess while they wait for dinner and the view from the clubhouse is awesome! Everyday we would take our golfcart to either the infinity pool or beach where we were taken care of by the staff. On Wednesdays they have a "rake and scrape" band that is the local music and it is fun for all. We were already making our plans to come back to this island before we left, so that should tell you how much we liked it. We did a half day boat trip with Captain Dee, we are not big snorklers so it was just ok, we took the ferry to Hopetown, that was an enjoyable day and had lunch at The Hopetown Lodge, very good. We loved Snappa's in Marsh Harbour for an affordable dinner. Only thing we wished is that we had more time to enjoy as it is a long day to get there. Any questions just send me a message!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

Its a great place to chill with family. The rooms are great and the people are fantastic. The only thing that i did not like was the salmon at dinner. It was around $36.00 and it tasted like a $10.00 plate in other restaurant. Overall ill give a 99% aproval. Beautiful beach

• Stayed April 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This was my first time at this resort. We also had a Cabana, while the room was beautifully appointed, the overall service was very poor. We scheduled a taxi pickup from the airport, the taxi never showed. We tried all resort phone numbers provided and no one even answered. A local woman took pity and got us a taxi. When arrived there wasn't an appolegy, our assigned conThis was my first time at this resort. We also had a Cabana, while the room was beautifully appointed, the overall service was very poor. We scheduled a taxi pickup from the airport, the taxi never showed. We tried all resort phone numbers provided and no one even answered. A local woman took pity and got us a taxi. When arrived there wasn't an apology, our assigned concierge did not show up for until the fourth day we were there. Another concierge worked us to obtain a rental car – which worked great and is required if you plan on going to some of the other outer cays. The General Manager was no help, and offered excuses and definitely did not make us feel welcome. There were several individuals who did go out of their way to try to help. This is definitely not what I expected from a Ritz Carlton property.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Eunice, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was my first time at this resort. We had a Cabana overlooking the Golf Course. It was a beautifully decorated room. Our trip was awesome!! We asked the taxi driver to bring us to a grocery store where we stocked up on breakfast and lunch goodies. They also brought us to the liquor store. We paid a little extra for this service and it was worth every penny! Our room was stocked with enough goodies for the whole week because of it!
This location is NOT a party spot!!! If you want to just chill on the beach, eating and drinking, swimming, reading books and enjoying the local beauty--it is a must see!!! I returned home so rested and relaxed!
We stayed on the beach from 10am till 5:30 every day, the towel boys always had our loungers ready. There is a bar and lunch resturaunt right by the loungers "Busters:. They kept us provided with drinks and the food was great. I recommend the Conch Fritters and Fish Tacos!! When the day was drawing to an end, we walked the 600ft to our Cabana. Each evening we drove our Golf Cart to the Dining Hall and enjoyed the wonderful food and drinks. The drive back was always enjoyable.
My favorite parts of this location was the Beach, and the walks we took out to Sand Cay when the tide was low. The service was Excellent but not pushy!! Anything we needed was accommodated. I forgot my water camera at home and a wonderful lady at the front desk picked one up for me in town and brought it to me the next day!!!!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this resort if you want to rest,relax and be pampered!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Paramus, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Our experience was a bit different from most, since we were staying in a separate time share house on the property so I can't comment on the Club's accomodations. However, we used the club for everything else. The Abaco Club isn't right for everyone so you should definitely know what you're getting into before you go.
PROS:
Secluded area far far away from shops/tourists/etc
Lovely, clean, quiet beaches
Great snorkeling/diving
Delicious meals served at the main club and Busters
Awesome staff
Golf carts get you around easily since it's a huge property
CONS:
Can be boring if ur looking for anything to do besides relax
BUGS BUGS BUGS
SO secluded it's about a 45 min drive to anything resembling shops or civilization
You're stuck eating on the property all the time unless you want to drive 45 min
No air conditioning in any restaurants
~I don't know if I would go back to the Abacos overall. It was a bit too too quiet for me; I like the option of some nightlife/shopping when I go away. The Abaco Club is a lovely resort with great food and service. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic place or simply some R&R, it might work for you. Definitely research it thoroughly before you commit!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

It's our favorite destination, need I say more!?.. If you like to fish, snorkel, dive for lobster and conch, golf, surf and relax, than this is the place you need to visit!! It's a laid back resort so if you are lazy, good, but if you are an active person Great!! The Bone fishing & bill fishing are outta this world. Small, but nice full service spa and gym. The staff could not be any nicer!! They go above and beyond indeed.
A fun, five min golf cart ride to Petes pub is a great place to grab a cold rum drink (try a blaster)!! The club has wonderful food, normal resort prices. Also, go to maxwells grocerie store and load up an stuff. The cottages are great for cooking! Rent a car and explore the entire island. Good times!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Abaco Club on Winding Bay? Share your experiences!