“Close but no cigar” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 16 Restaurants in Thornbury
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Outstanding Georgian Bay views from this landmark waterfront restaurant. Wood Fired Pizza, Pasta, Steaks and Fresh Fish. Extensive wine list with an emphasis on fine Italian selections. Relaxing upscale lounge and bar.
“Close but no cigar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We recently stayed at Blue Mountain for a few days and decided to explore some nearby towns
Lunch time found us in Thornbury driving along the shoreline looking for a bite to eat.
We passed the patio at Maiolo's and had to stop. The view was tranquil anď quite lovely. We were quickly seated at a table where the comfort level was not really conducive to a leisurely lunch. Our sauv blanc arrived promptly but was long finished before our entré arrived. The food was passable. The servers (2) seemed overwhelmed.
Our open schedule and the harbour view made it a pleasant enough afternoon. But I would explore other venues before returning

Collingwood, Canada
“Welcome to the Horror Show”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Where to begin...ill just give you bullet points. It's simpler that way.

The Good:
-Serving staff were polite, attentive.
-Decor, and ambience were pleasing, music a nice touch.
- Good wine, and fresh bread provided.

The Bad:
It took an hour and a half for our party to recieve two starters. The simple caesar salad was utterly dull and nondescript. The seafood starter was pure comedy, we found one single shrimp amidst the other slop, tasted so bad that we abandoned it after a few bites.

Mains took three hours to arrive. When they did they were either wrong, or bad:
- My partner ordered the rib eye medium rare, she recieved a strip loin well done, oily and salty to the point of being inedible. Her 'authentic italian pasta with home made sauce' was cheap overboiled penne slopped with what we can only assume was canned tomato sauce. Totally unpresentable and totally awful.
- The schnitzel our aunt recieved was coated in an ocean of oily cheap cooking cheese, something i would expect in a low end pub as a 10 dollar special. This was accompanied by the same horrid pasta slop.
- Rack of lamb was decent, a tasty cut of meat. Its accompaniments were wholly inedible, covered in greasy oil and overcooked. Everything was clearly executed by lazy simpletons.

The coup de grace: hearing the alleged chef screaming at the poor wait staff for his own absolute failure in the kitchen. As the kitchen door was swinging open and shut we could hear the yells. Waitresses looked very unhappy, understandeable as they did nothing wrong.

This place is a trap; swanky decor and excellent wine thinly veneer the madcap playground of a totally unproffessional chef, who has no idea how to cook a dinner service.

An insult to Thornbury and the location. This place is a joke.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thornbury, Canada
“I don't think I've ever had a meal this terrible...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband wanted me to pick somewhere new for my birthday dinner, and we selected Maiolo's for their menu; it sounded lovely - steak, seafood, rack of lamb, pasta, veal - something for everyone. I read the reviews here and saw that it was mixed - but I figured everyone likes to be a critic - and every chef can have a bad day.

BELIEVE THE REVIEWS. The food was terrible. I had an adequate ceasar salad, certainly nothing special for a $12 appetizer, but the 1.5 hour wait for my salad and my husband's cold seafood salad was ridiculous. The only thing we could think of was that they were waiting for the seafood to thaw - the tiny mussels had ice crystals in them, and the $18 starter had exactly one extra small shrimp and lots of rubbery calamari tentacles.

My dad and my husband both had the rack of lamb, which they said was good; I ordered the rib eye steak, medium rare. I received a strip loin steak, well done. At this point we'd been there 2.5 hours and I wasn't going to send it back and wait another hour so I said it was fine. One bite told me it wasn't - it was terribly salty - inedible. Both my husband and my aunt tried a piece and felt the same way - my aunt actually spit it out into her napkin.

My aunt ordered the veal parmesean, which came slathered in bland cooking cheese. Both she and I had the tomato pasta side which was awful - imagine dollar store dried penne tossed with unspiced tomato puree and dusted with powdered parmesean. Not a spring of parsley or a hint of garlic, the sauce had practically no taste whatsoever.

The vegetables were giant pieces of broccoli and carrot, undercooked and oily.

At times we heard shouting from the kitchen and one of the staff members seemed near tears. What a terribly run restaurant and the kitchen staff should be ashamed of themselves - while looking for a completely different career path.

I can honestly say the wine was decent - and the location as pretty as you please. The manager did discount our meal by $50 but that wasn't nearly enough for me to take a chance on this place again - if you really must try it, enjoy a glass of wine by the harbour, and go somewhere else to eat.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ontario, Canada
“Poor Management Spoils This Beautiful Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Where to begin .... My family and I love the location of this restaurant and that is what brings us back. The food has ranged from very good to hardly edible, but at about the same occurrence rate as a lot of mainstream restaurants, so nothing too unusual about that, although would be lovely if the food was bumped up a notch or two so that at its' worst it would be mediocre. However, it has been a long time since I have been in a restaurant that is this lovely and clean where the service and management has been so disorganized and chaotic that it basically ruins everything else. It is such a huge negative that regardless of how good the food might be, you are unhappy with something that has happened to do with the process of delivering the meal to you. And it is not because the staff are discourteous or not caring, it is because there simply are not enough appropriately trained people working in harmony to get the job done properly. My family and I have dined here several times so far this spring and summer, and every time something has gone wrong. It's either someone has called in sick and that's why everything is amiss, and the most insulting excuse I've heard recently was that the take-out side of the business (I didn't realize there was a take-out side to this business), was so busy that night that all the rest of the customers had to wait until those orders were filled! And wait we did, with two small children, for over an hour for 3 pizzas. Granted, the pizzas were delicious and the children were perfect angels, but it was not a relaxing evening for us, regardless of the beautiful sunset, the gorgeous waterfront and the impressive sailboats nearby. At other times we have also had our meals served separately, as other reviewers have mentioned, and that was simply rude. To the owner of this restaurant - please listen to what people are telling you and bring in a professional you respect to assess your restaurant, make recommendations, create a management plan and menu for you, hire dedicated people, train them properly, and make this restaurant what it should be. In the meantime, anyone dining here takes a risk of being sorely disappointed. It may be nice, or it may not be. The location is gorgeous but it won't make you feel happily satiated, as a good meal out with friends or family is supposed to.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thornbury, Canada
“I don't like watching my friends eat, while I wait for my food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I have been to this restaurant on three separate occasions. The food has been fine but the quality of service is awful. On all three visits NONE of our food was served together! My husband finished eating his meal before I was even served mine. The next two visits all the food was served at different times. The pizza came out first, then the broiler food, and last of all the pasta. We told our guests to eat their food or it would be cold if they waited for the rest of the food to come. When I asked the server why this happened, she was not surprised and blamed it on poor communication within the kitchen. Not my problem, just get the food out on time. As a local I love to support the community, since the restaurant has such a nice patio, I went back on 3 occasions to see if it he service improved. My last visit was in June and due to the poor quality, I will not return until there has been a major change in service.

• Visited June 2014