“The service makes up for the weak menu !!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Wasaga Beach, Canada
“The service makes up for the weak menu !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We dined at Osteria Vitto last night for the first time and left the establishment very impressed. The SERVICE was second to none and probably the best we've ever experienced. I believe the secret might be that a table is not left to one Server to cater to all the needs of the table they're assigned to. There seems to be a team effort and spirit combined with great dispositions on the part of the Wait Staff. The dinner was nicely presented. My husband enjoyed his pasta dish. Being a very plain and fussy eater, I was happy to see that I could order a steak, which came to the table perfectly cooked. The only comment I can make in this regard is that, for people like myself, who are not only picky but have food allergies and sensitivities, I would like to see a little more variety of choice. A veal or pork piccata or scallopini would be a nice option to steak. There were not enough menu choices that included a marinara sauce. The pork chop or fish entree, (Grouper), certainly did not appeal to me (I can cook that at home) and I was told the Grouper was quite bland by our dining companion. I gave her the garlic mayo that came with my fries and it made the world of difference to her meal. She also had to ask for lemon for the fish. I was a little disappointed that the Caesar salad could not be specially ordered to eliminate the anchovies. Other restaurants will do this for me. Otherwise, everything was fresh and tasty. Just loved the pommes frites!! We enjoyed our evening immensely, definitely due to the wonderful Server, Bri, and her "back-ups", who were more than comfortable interacting with older adults. It's difficult to find people who have the personalities that these young folk have. We even got water when we sat down without asking for it & a bread basket too!!! WOO HOO!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
brunocohen7304, Owner at Osteria Vitto, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thanks for your review and your feedback. We appreciate your comments with regards to our staff. We work very hard as working together as a team and we're so glad that you noticed! Our menu is a little small, the reason being is because we make everything fresh on a daily basis. If you have a preference for one of the dishes you've mentioned (a veal dish) we often, with 24hrs notice, can make those dishes in preparation for your arrival to the restaurant. Hope to see you again soon!

Collingwood, Canada
“Wonderful meal and people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We live in the area and have now eaten at OV a few times. It's been excellent on every occasion from the Italian Mojito through appetizers and dinners. We've sadly never made it to dessert yet. The atmosphere is casual and cozy. The staff, many of whom are family, work very hard to give their guests a great dining experience. They sell wine for $1.00 an ounce which is just a brilliant idea. The food is fresh, delicious and well presented. I was shocked to read the review from Dean T as all of our friends have also had great experiences but I guess the folks at OV are human and can have one off night now and then too as every business does. Don't let it discourage you, this place is a local gem and well worth enjoying.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
brunocohen7304, Owner at Osteria Vitto, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thanks Marg!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed everything again!

All the best!
Orillia, Canada
“Great food, great place, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I hade a great experience at Osteria Vitto.
I highly recommend this restaurant. It is well worth the drive from out of town to check it out.
Big thanks to our server Vanessa and all the staff for a really great meal.
We will be back for sure!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for your kind words about the restaurant. We're so glad that you enjoyed your experience. We will let Vanessa know that she's starting to getting a fan club!

See you soon!
Toronto, Canada
“A great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

On our way collingwood, we stopped here taking a chance in the summer. We have been back 3 times since. The food is very flavourful and although at times it can be slower than we want, it is always worth the wait. We have eaten from both the menu and the specials and can't fault either. Take a chance on this place, we are very glad we did.

Thank you so much for your review! We're glad that you took a chance on us too!

See you soon!
Collingwood, Canada
“Wait For It!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

OMG it took forever! They call it "Freshly Made" but when we asked the buss person if the pasta was hand made individually she said " oh no - it comes in a bag". Listen - we aren't professional foodies or those ultra negative folks you read on these reviews, but last night was so bad, it will be a distinct memory for our family on just how slow service can be. We ordered dessert too, and waited over a half hour for that- we were the second last table in the place! Antipasti plate was ok. Caesar salad average. Mushroom ravioli was bland. Rigatoni with spicy sausage was decent. Our two kids 10 and 12 and with dessert, and just drinking water, the bill was $168 with tip. So bad all around it is funny. Almost three full hours. 2 full hours to get our mains and over 45 minutes to get bread on the table. There were empty tables! We think "From Fresh" means "We don't have enough kitchen staff" and have no organization on how to get meals out.

Visited October 2013
brunocohen7304, Owner at Osteria Vitto, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dean,

Maybe your not a foodie, but I think Ramsay would've agreed with you about the slow wait times on Friday as well! With regards to our pasta being homemade, some are, some aren't. We don't profess that we make all of our own pasta. Our 15 year old bus girl doesn't spend much time in the kitchen and probably wasn't sure which were made in house and which aren't. The rigatoni is a bagged pasta because of the complex nature to make it. The ravioli that you mentioned was rolled out that morning.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Bruno Cohen