“Nice for an overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Horse and Jockey Inn
85 Arawa St, Matamata, New Zealand   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Matamata B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Nice for an overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

A nice place to spend a night - a very comfy bed (which is of crucial importance after a 36-hour trip) and great value. A bit moldy shower curtain and some cobweb on the bathroom window won't spoil your stay. Note, that wifi is free, no matter what booking com says, but remote rooms are not covered.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Service slow, tables werent cleared between entree, main and dessert . Food ok. Fish and chips good. Risotto bad. Ran out of duck. Asked for the bill at end of night after 20minutes still no bill, went to see where it was and the waitress was having a fag. Overall we wont be returning ever again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Matamata hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had the room (with shared bathroom), economy style.
Facilities were VERY minimal and basic. Room is pretty much just the bed. No sound proofing in the room, which means all the noise of the pub below floats upstairs. Drunken cursing into the wee hours was an issue. WiFi use was via code, and did not work in the rooms, only the pub (at the bar) downstairs.
In saying that the Inn was ideally located in the small town. Everything was within walking distance.

Room Tip: Try the rooms with ensuite, they might be a bit better....
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

At such a cheap rate per night, you can't really complain.
The place wasn't exactly clean, but was ok to sleep in. Room was really small, and loud music went on till early hours of the morning.
It wasn't the most professionally run place, but then like I said before at such a cheap rate, what more can you expect?

• Stayed December 2013
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you are expecting first class forget it , but if you are after a cheap rate.. Fantastic comfy bed.. Hot shower (without soap etc.. We bought our own).. Clean rooms. staff and owner very friendly. Food was amazing,, wine best price I have had and delicious.. Friendly great value.. Rooms small but all you need.. In all great stay thanks..

Room Tip: Close to hobbit country.. Not a resort.. But who needs them recommend for fun night and great food a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here Saturday night as I had been at the races and it is a convenient option. My room was very clean and tidy, the bed was great. I came back from the races and took a shower, however I slipped getting out and cut my head open, when I came downstairs to ask for another towel as blood was on my other one, the staff here took over, they wouldn't let me do anything, even though the place was busy they took amazing care of me and made me feel nothing was a problem, they patched me up, cleaned my room, ordered me a meal which was fantastic and kept checking on me every 15min or so. I was very impressed with everything, amazing service, food (perfect pint of Guinness) and the atmosphere feels like a real pub. Thanks for looking after me guys, I will recommend you and definitely be back. A+++++

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Booked 1 day before arrival, no worries. Arrived mid evening on a Friday night, the restaurant was bustling well, plenty of people and fare.
Our waitress seemed hard of hearing and made absolutely no attempt to be polite about it.
Once seated we waited a time for our drinks.\
Once we had ordered it seemed we;d been forgotten, as our meals took some time to arrive.Even allowing for the busy state of affairs.
Our meals arrived and did look very good, however our starter breads had not been brought out and in fact had been forgotten.We were asked if we'd still like them, we declined and settled into our meals.
Midway through her dinner our youngest daughter discovered a human hair ( long one, but not as long as hers) in her pork belly!She placed it on the table and when the waitress came she explained what she had found.
The first question was, "is it one of yours?"
The waitress did not ask her if she'd like another meal ( she was part way through her dinner)Instead she went to the kitchen and informed the chef.
She came back and informed us that chef had asked if the hair was not that of the pig,left in the skin, when given the hair, that she had left on the table the first time, the waitress simply noted that it wasn't long enough to be our daughters and that it was too long and fine to be that of the unfortunate piggy then threw it away.Our daughter explained that she had only brought the hair to their attention as she didn't want others to experience the same problem and that she didn't need or want anything else
We finished our meals and when asked if we'd like desert, we declined.
At this point our daughter was asked if she'd like a free desert, she declined.She was then offered another meal, or a drink from the bar, unfortunately none of these things were offered in the right way or in my humble opinion by the right people.
Matamata's Broadway Burger! (Top Notch Fish and chips from here from previous experiences) got our desert order!
We went upstairs to our accommodation and were pleasantly surprised at the spaciousness, cleanliness and newness of our rooms.
We enjoyed the hotels beds and slept well, we left early, before any staff were about and left our keys in the drop box.
My review has not been penned to cause harm or alarm for the Horse and Jockey, but to alert them to the shortfalls that we as paying travelers experienced there.
We'd happily stay there again, room was spacious clean and tidy and everything in our room was perfect.
Whether or not we'd stop at their bar,restaurant again would depend on how well these comments are received.I personally was disappointed that management didn't come and speak with us directly and that my daughter wasn't made to feel comfortable about letting them know of a shortfall in their service.

Room Tip: Treat others as you'd like to be treated.Stay in rooms at the Broadway end of the complex, not o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Horse and Jockey Inn? Share your experiences!