“Excelled in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kasbah Tamadot

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Asni
Kasbah Tamadot
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 67, Asni 042150, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Asni
Manchester
“Excelled in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This mountain retreat in the Virgin portfolio is reached in about 45 minutues by car from Marrakech. It is a sophisticated and beautifully landscaped castellated property set in the Asni area overlooking a valley to a neighbouring Berber village. Although the superior rooms we requested to see at the end of our visit were delightful, we were actually upgraded on arrival to a Berber tent with its own patio and jaccuzi; this tent was spacious and sumptously equipped if slightly draughty. In addition to the heating system, there were already 2 free-standing heaters available which were used throughout our stay as the weather was indeed chilly even during sunny periods! There was an electrical failure (during heavy rain) to the tent which was duly rectified; the wi-fi conection in the tent area was flakey and actually packed in irredeemably on the last of our 4 nights.The staff were phenominal in that they were mostly local Berbers who acquitted themselves in every task with the greatest perfection and courtesy; this is a tribute to the training provided by the Kasbah and the high standard of staff and material management. Because of the isolated position, the only practical dining option is to enjoy the Kasbah's beautiful dining room, its excellent food and meticulous service. The dining, lounge and library areas were warmed by well tended open olive wood fires. Outdoor activities are speedily arranged via the desk; our trek took us to a Berber village and some stunning views on the way. Adjacent to the landscaped gardens, there is an animal enclosure with camels, goats etc which are all beautifully tended. There is a small Berber shop attached to the perimeter wall of the property; it is clear that the Kasbah has also served the local community very well. We cannot wait to return albeit slightly later than a February.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We visited Kasbah Tamadot for lunch towards the end of our Moroccan holiday to celebrate my birthday. We were staying in Ouirgane and got our hotel to arrange taxi transfers there and back in one of Morocco's vintage Mercedes' - we were slightly outdone by some other guests who arrived by helicopter! The building and grounds are really beautiful and tranquil, and the views are wonderful across the valley. We had a 3 course lunch plus amuse bouche (which we were served twice, my husband tried to explain in English that we'd already eaten it once, but the waitress didn't understand until I explained in French)! The food was lovely but for the price we expected a lot better. The staff were friendly and attentive, always making sure our drinks were topped up and suggesting cocktails, and then calling our taxi for us when we had finished. We felt that the surroundings, views and service were just as good at Domaine Malika where we were staying, and I'm sure it cost a lot less than rooms at Tamadot, however, it was nice to visit, we can say we've been now, and tick it off our list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have been there for one night during our trip to Marrakesh. I have decided to spend here my birthday and it was a very good choice.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, very classy, the spa is nice, the restaurant serves good food, not the best we have eaten, but it was very good for Morocco. We had a double room on the ground floor, with very nice decorations and a beautiful bathroom, but the view was over the gate entry, so not that great.

The service overall lacked the customer oriented spirit, this was my impression. It was very hard to get a late breakfast on our last day, I had to insist a lot to receive it. For the price you pay for the room, this is not acceptable.

We had also a trip organized by the hotel with a private SUV car to Armed village in the Atlas mountains. You should book this if you go there because it is very interesting. Especially getting there on a road as narrow as the car. It was very funny :-). You can see how people live in the mountains, what they eat, the way of organizing their everyday life, you will see some very nice villages on the road. We really enjoyed that trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I had spent what turned out to be a luxurious four nights here for our honeymoon. Beautiful views, delicious food that would not have been out of place in a double rosette / michelin restaurant (standard London prices), and an attentive and welcoming staff made our stay incredibly relaxing.

The cooking class was brilliant - as was the resulting feast!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

we have just returned from a three day stay at the Kasbah over the New Years eve period and truly enjoyed our stay. The setting of the hotel as others have said is glorious and the staff and management can not do enough to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The highlight for us was new years eve, starting with the mule trek to imlil, a glorious lunch in the mountains and then a trek back down, to rest before we hit the new years eve dinner and celebrations. News years day was a relaxed day with what I have to say was the best brunch I have ever had. Other points we liked was that mobile phoines in restaurants etc are politely discouraged, which means you do have a truly peacefuil and relaxing time. The food whether dinner lunch or breakfast was all high quality and the Deluxe room we had had stunning rooms and was comfortable. Some reviewers have likened the hotel to old decor and not like a modern fours/five star hotel. Frankly I think the decor is what sets the hotel apart from the so many facelessmodern hotesl around the world. we came here to rtelax and get away from televisions etc and the hotel fulfilled all our expectations.
Finally I can only repeat what many have said the staff and management were all perfect, and my only regret is that we were only there for three days. A thankyou to all the staff from both of us

Room Tip: Generally I believe the smaller the room the better the view, we had a good corner deluxe room which...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Branson's mountain retreat, and felt slightly underwhelmed by the experience. This was the first leg of our honeymoon and although I had informed them prior to our arrival that we were on our honeymoon there was no mention of it. I felt slightly awkward and deliberated whether to pursue the point I decided to leave it and enjoy the honeymoon regardless.
We were then shown to our "deluxe suite" I was convinced there had been a mistake the room was small and seriously under equipped for the price range. Half of the sockets in the room were unsafe wobbled when trying to plug something in, there was no facility to make tea/coffee, we also struggled get enough hot water for 2 baths. I have been lucky enough to stay some lovely suites over the years and this would definitely be one of the poorest for the price. This would be more tolerable on a city break when you tend to be in the room for the bare minimum of time, on a retreat holiday you spend a lot more time in your suite. On the plus points the service was excellent, all the staff were friendly and and well trained, and the general manager was a charming and engaging man.
The food was of course expensive and in the main was of reasonable quality, ambitious but sometimes fell a little short. The BBQ was a huge disappointment the chicken thighs were under cooked I suggest the purchase of a temp probe (http://www.nisbets.co.uk/ETI-Food-Check-Thermometer/CF964/ProductDetail.raction) to ensure the correct core temp. The soups however are delicious and the chocolate pud was scrummy the breads are excellent and the full English breakfast a great start to the day. The omelette I ordered was wet, a lovely puddle of juice oozed out which from a top kitchen which this is claiming to be, is seriously poor.
The views are magnificent and the pools lovely if you can afford it upgrade to the Berber tents far better then the deluxe suites if not I would spend less and take a room.
My last comment would be concerning the Bike tours which is so ridiculous it is almost laughable.
The wife popped to reception to ask if we could book a half day bike tour, she returned to the room saying the price was over £120 each. I laughed and said she surely made a mistake,the quad bike tour was only £50 each. So of I popped to reception as obviously the wife had be misinformed, nope that was the price and the reason for this price? they have to hire a pickup to drive from Marrakech to drop of the bikes and then pay to return them, I joked that it would be cheaper to buy the bikes, the conceriage agreed. The reason given was that a guest fell off a bike some time ago as the bikes were left out for their use, so the hotel made the decision to get rid of the bikes. Might I suggest a chain and lock on the bikes then when a guest would like to hire one they are on hand at a reasonable price.
Anyway I hope this was informative and don't let it put you off,the place is epic in many ways but it need a bit tweaking to be truely special.

Room Tip: Berber all the wy avoid the small deluxe suites
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
VLELondon, General Manager at Kasbah Tamadot, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay at Kasbah Tamadot. We have taken your comments onboard and they are being shared with the rest of the team to help us improve going forward. With regards to the bikes I am sorry that you encountered these issues on pricing. We have since ceased the arrangement we had in place and are in the process of making alternative arrangements that will prove to be better and less expensive for our guests.

I would like the opportunity to address the issues below directly with you, if you’d be happy to contact me at the email address below, or alternatively kindly advise how I may reach you.

Kind regards
Vincent Padioleau
vincent.padioleau@kasbahtamadot.virgin.com
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at Kasbah Tamadot for four nights as part of a week-long November break in Morocco, and really enjoyed our stay. Both the setting of the hotel and the hotel itself are really gorgeous. Everything is in extremely good repair, from the lovely infinity pool, to the surprisingly good (fake grass) tennis courts, pool table and table tennis table. There are loads of lovely nooks and crannies - we had the best of both worlds in that it was hot during the day, but cold at night, so you could sit outside with lovely views during the day, but sit cosied around log fires in the evening.

We stayed in two different rooms - we were initially in the first level of suite. The room was huge, and very well decorated. However, it was right above reception and therefore noisy for a light sleeper - I spoke to them after the second night and they were extremely good about it, upgrading us immediately to one of the Berber tents, which are a great experience. Both rooms had enormous comfy beds, and all the touches you'd expect, and some you wouldn't, like lovely bowls of pistachios and almonds, and a free mini-bar.

Breakfasts and lunches were great, with perhaps dinner being the only disappointment of the stay (and the reason for 4 rather than 5 stars) - for us the dining room was a little old-fashioned and stuffy, with the food at dinner a little hit and miss (some delicious, particularly the buffet night, but others, like the tasting menu, not so good). The dining room is probably less important during the summer, but I think is still worth the hotel modernising the room and trying to improve the atmosphere. The wine list has a good selection of wines, with a decent selection at reasonable prices as long as you stick to the, very good, Moroccan wines.

A final word about the trips we did - an hour long mule ride and the free guided walk, both of which were really enjoyable and very interesting. The guide who led us on both has been at the Kasbah for over 20 years, knows the terrain like the back of his hand and has lots of interesting stories.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid the suite above reception which was noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kasbah Tamadot? Share your experiences!