“Good food, poor service” 4 of 5 stars

345 Argyle Street South, Caledonia, Ontario, Canada
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Argyle St. Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 37 restaurants in Caledonia
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Haddington
“Good food, poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit in 2 weeks. The food was very good but both times our waitress was not great. She took our order for drinks then didn't return with them for some time. It was fairly busy but she was chatting with other staff at the front of the restaurant. She finally brought drinks then left without taking our order. Waited some more for her to return. It took a while for our entrees to arrive so it would have been nice to have some bread or rolls. We generally don't order appetizers as we prefer dessert and they fill us up. Plates were cleared but not by our waitress who took her time returning. We ordered dessert (butterscotch pots de creme, amazing) and coffee. Dessert finally came but no coffee. She flitted by to see how we were doing and said, oh yes, coffee. We told her to forget the coffee since I like it with dessert. This waitress didn't write down orders. Maybe she should.

Visited November 2013

80% Recommend
Caledonia, Canada
“One of our favourite places”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

You may have seen the restaurant showcased on 'You got to Eat Here' and it is soooo good, but you do need to make reservations as it is very popular now. Use 'open table' for bookings if you have that program. We will do take out for lunch on occasion. Like that they source local for their ingredients.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nov 2 3013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I eat in restaurants almost every day because its part of my job and also because i love good food. I have tried 9 resturants from the show You Got To Eat Here. Let me just say you dont have to eat here.
I gave this place a second chance and it was worst than the first time. Soup was cold and tastless and i love a good hamburger and i got to say this ranks as one of the worst hamburgers i ever eat. It was burnt and dry and tastless and the bun was dried out. I paid big money and for no value. I may as well went to AW next door for a 3 dollar teen. They will never see me back there even if they said the meal was on the house. Im not even mentioning of how sick i became that night .

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Ok food but TERRIBLE service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

During a day trip on a rainy Sunday, a friend and I stopped in for lunch. The place was pretty much empty except a few couples and two big groups (I assume girl from a hockey tournament). The hostess didn't acknowledge us for about 10 minutes and then when she did she asked "4 of you?" thinking the two ladies behind us that just came in were with us. When she finally sat us she tried telling us there was a menu shortage. We had previously overheard her say that so we picked up a menu from just beside the hostess station on our way to the table. She sat us beside a large garage door that was very drafty on the cold day so we had to leave our coats on. After selecting our lunch items, we closed the menu and put on the the edge of the table - even though this is the universal sign to the waitresses that we're ready to order we were not asked for almost 30 minutes! We selected the French onion soup (since we were freezing) and the two way poutine to share. The soup was delicious and hot but when the poutine showed up it was stone cold. After waiting again for the waitress who walked by several times and ignored us to bring the bill we got out in just under 2 hours. I may try again another day but judging by the other waitstaff it may be some time before I do!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jarvis, Canada
“Decent food, consistently poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I live not far from the Argyle St. Grill and have given it several chances. The food is always good, sometimes very good or even great. Can't complain about the portions, and I am happy to be supporting local businesses by eating there. However, my real beef with this restaurant is the service - not necessarily the waiters and waitresses, but the hostesses. I tried to make a reservation in April (early in the day - just after they opened) for 8 people for my birthday, and was told that only two tables of four were available. It was a Saturday, but I was flexible with times. They weren't willing to push the two tables of four together or accommodate my group in any other way. I was happy to bring my business elsewhere.

I gave the restaurant another chance this week, taking my brother-in-law and sister-in-law there for dinner. We didn't make a reservation, but showed up and were told that there would be about a five minute wait as tables were being cleared (there was one party of two in front of us). Two other groups showed up, also stating they hadn't made a reservation, but were willing to wait. Twenty minutes later, one of the groups that came after we arrived were seated. When the second group, who also came after we arrived, was also seated, I became annoyed. My husband and I asked the hostess if we were still on the list, as two groups who had arrived after us were seated first, and the hostess replied that they had reservations (not true, as we had heard them clearly say they didn't have reservations) and that she had seated us on the computer even though we were still standing at the front door. I'm not sure who is running the front of the house, but I won't be returning until the place is better organized.

I'm certainly not one to complain if service is slow because an establishment is busy, but I'm consistently disappointed with the level of service I receive at this restaurant. There are several other restaurants that serve delicious, local food in Haldimand County with outstanding service and value, and I'd much prefer to take my business to one of them.

Visited October 2013