“great eating” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Perth, United Kingdom
“great eating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

loved the simple style of cooking very good food we had the kobe beef chato breion and we where not disappointed the only thing against it was the smell from the salt plains the starters where great and the chocolate pudding was to die for would definitely go back great atmosphere staff very friendly

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Main Line of Philadelphia, PA USA
“my husband adored it - just ok for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Meat and Potatoes (M & P) is a decent French steakhouse that offers good cuts of grilled beef with a wide selection of dipping sauces.

The venue is pretty simple, nothing very fancy. The restaurant is in the middle of nowhere, down a dark residential street near Salines, across the street from a swampy (smelly) salt flat. (Fortunately, the smell does not carry inside into the restaurant.) The place is basically open-air on the sides (no air conditioning), with fans positioned around to help circulate some air, so dress lightly.

The wait staff were very friendly, and service was quick and efficient.

The menu lists a variety of beef cuts that are grilled to your preferred temperature and served with any number of sauces that you'd like. The list of sauces was long and pretty varied. Some were better than others, but none the best I've ever had.

My husband chose a beef tenderloin with 3 sauces, including the red wine shallot sauce and an Asian style soy based sauce. He (not normally a big meat eater) was just ecstatic. He paired it with a hearty red wine that he adored: Bourgogne Hautes-Cotes de Nuits, Domaine Meo-Camuzet. He really, really loved his dinner and wanted me to give this place 5 stars.
But I just can't.

I (normally a meat lover) had the rib eye, which I know generally sacrifices tenderness for better flavor. It was good, but not great. Very very fatty, and pretty chewy. I also chose 3 sauces, a red wine shallot sauce, a Bearnaise that was decent, and a third that was, apparently, not memorable.

The menu also gives you a choice of many potato side dishes, including mashed, fried, Lyonnaise, Dauphinoise, hash brown, and a bunch more - nicely done - cute gimmick.

For those who don't eat meat, by the way, there were other choices, including a decent selection of vegetarian dishes.

For a starter, we shared a chicken Caesar salad which was enough for 4 people! Just huge!
It was tasty, but certainly not a classic recipe - creamy texture, but not really a Caesar.
We took photos of the entrees, but not of the salad - sorry.

We were pretty full from the generous portions, so we skipped dessert and can't comment on that.

So, overall we're giving this restaurant 4 stars (averaging my 3 and my husband's 5).
If you want to go out for steaks, it was good, but honestly, if you're staying in a villa, go get some steaks and good wine from the market by the airport, and grill your own.
The market has gorgeous cuts of beef, nice roasts and chickens, and beautiful duck breasts. They even sell jarred sauces like Bearnaise and shallot sauce there, or if you you know how, just chop up some fresh shallots and make your own sauce.

Bon apetit

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leland, Michigan
“Not our Favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Tried going to another restaurant, but they were closed so we end up at MP. Food was okay service was not that great. Our childs burger was great. Our steaks were okay and sides were not that good. Many other better options. We did take our leftover steaks home and ended up making steak and eggs for breakfast so not a total loss.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“A new favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been travelling to St. Bart's once or twice a year for quite a few years.

Last night was our first time dining at Meat and Potatoes. Upon entering the restaurant, the first thing we noticed was the beautiful cottage-like atmosphere. We loved the decor. The restaurant is set up so that there's lots of space between tables.

The menu has lots of choices. Of course steak is the main entree. However my husband had a starter mixed salad the chicken kebob. I had the goat cheese salad and the Mahi Mahi kebob. We both loved our meals. The service is also top knotch and very friendly.

We will definitely be dining here again on our next trip to St. Bart's.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cleveland
“An odd name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We recently ate at Meat and Potatoes during our visit to St. Barths. After 3 nights of scrumptous French cuisine we thought this would be a good idea. First let me say that this is a classic steakhouse with a great French twist. The menu was limited to a number of cuts of beef, the obligatory veal chop, a fish, a chicken, and a lamb dish. A wonderful wine list rounds out the selection. I started with the beef carpaccio which was prepared classically and was as good as would have been served at Harry's in venice. My wife had the basic salad (there was no wedge salad but I wonder if thats because iceburgh lettuce is not available in the caribbean). We ordered the chateaubriand for two rare. The result arrived at the table at the perfect temperature. There is a huge selection of veggies and sauces to accompany your steak. We tried the bordelaise, bernaise, shallot confit, and barbeque. The bordelaise and confit were excellent. The barbeque was typical american style. The bernaise was a bit heavy and we would pass on this selection. For desert I had the creme brulee (perfect) and my wife had the perfiteroles. The latter were huge and would be perfect for sharing. When I return to this paradise, I will not hesitate eating at M & P again.

• Visited March 2013