“Most Agreeable” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Most Agreeable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Worth making the effort to climb up the hill to the main Piazza where A Ciassa is situated. Pleasant location and a lively atmosphere with ex-pat locals and local locals. Waiter spoke English and menu was also in English. Great food - tasty and nicely prepared. Remember if you order meat to also order vegetables otherwise you get just a plate of meat. A beer, small carafe of wine, starter, and main course with vegetables - €30. A most agreeable lunchtime stop.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Burlington, Vermont
“5 Stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

You know. I went to almost all restaurants in Apricale... why did this place got my heart?

First of course, the food. It was delicious and simple, nothing fancy (as opposed as a lot of other places in Apricale). I´m not saying complex food is bad or I don´t like it. I´m just saying food in A Ciassa was simple and still very tasty.

The service was great, friendly and organized.

The place. Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is the main plaza. A Ciassa has a nice arrangement of outside tables with umbrellas (??... You know, the big ones next to tables), so you get a nice view, fresh air, the kids playing soccer... great experience.

Finally, the price. Very unexpensive! The best value seriously, probably the cheapest in Apricale.

So... It´s just the combination of these 4 factors that make me give them a 5 star rating.

We were there 2 times by the way. The first time for lunch, and the second one late at night to have some coffee and desert.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Good, honest Ligurian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Once you're in Apricale it's hard to miss A Ciassa, even though there is no big sign. Head for the main square (Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II) with the church (now under renovation), the post office, the tourist office (hardly ever open), and the office of the commune di Apricale. On the north side of the piazza will be A Ciassa, a hole in the wall with lots of piazza real estate and (when we were there in sunny October) lots of tent/awning structures to supply shade or cover from the (non-existent) rain.
We spent almost 2 weeks in the town so many was the morning I enjoyed my macchiato and croissant (Cornetto?) at one of Simone's tables.

We also had 3 or four evening meals at A Ciassa, and were not disappointed. The food is very tasty and authentically local.

We often started with shared appetizers (there were usually six of us) of grilled vegetables, stuffed zucchini flowers, etc., followed by a lovely pasta course. I think the gnocchi here may be the best I have ever had. Try it alla Gorgonzola. If I could make gnocchi this good, it would be my go-to comfort food. My wife preferred the pesto version. She also raved (rightly so) about the ravioli in butter and sage.

For a meat course, I kept coming back to the rabbit, Apricale style. I'm told that this olive flavored dish was invented by the proprietor of another restaurant in town (Delio) but A Ciassa's version was as good as any I tasted.

One of the things often overlooked in traveler reviews is the wine list. A Ciassa is not a big place and I guess they don't cellar a lot of bottles. Their list is fairly simple and weighted towards the local wines. I'm the wine guy in our group but I must admit to knowing little more about the wines of Liguria than I was able to read on the flight over. So a couple of times I just deferred to Simone. "Vorrei un rosso. Problabilmente un Rossese. Hai una buona?" and he would say "Yes, I have a very good Rossese for this meal." And he would be right. It would be perfect. And I would look like a genius. Grazie, Simone.

One other thing...

Perhaps the best thing about small towns that are not on the main tourist routes is that they can still respond to the seasons. As we moved through the south of France and in to the northwest of Italy, mushrooms were being harvested and they featured in many of our meals. By the time we were ready to pull out of Apricale, it was boar season and we were very lucky to be able to sample the local, seasonal treat that is cinghiale. It was hunted and prepared by Simone's father and it was fabulous. When I asked him how he'd cooked it, he said, "Wild boar and wine, and more wine, and more wine." Sounds like a pretty good recipe. (I'm not sure how long it'll be on the menu over this fall and winter. I'm guessing you won't find it in the spring or summer. And who knows what the hunt will produce next year, but I'm sure happy I got a chance to sample it.)

• Visited October 2011