We went back to the Centara Grand and loved it - we previously went in 2005 before it was taken over - although i dont think they have changed anything they have just updated decor etc.
Main areas in hotel are well designed and modern and always impeccably clean - room was lovely - i agree with other reviews that the rooms do not quite match the rest of hotel but ours was nice, clean and spacious. Nothing at all to moan about - plenty of wardrobe space, bathroom was big (slightly dated - yellow tiles!!!) but all in all comfortable - although the bed is slightly too hard for my liking.
Pool area is excellent and always lots of loungers available. The best we found were next to the jacuzzi as they had really thick mattresses...also the beach - it really is heaven! We visited the Caribbean twice last year Antigua for 1 with supposedly amazing beaches) and the beaches here are the best in the world. Perfect for little ones too with warm shallow waters and always lots of shade if you require.
Drinks in the hotel are very expensive - that would be my complaint! We went across to the 7-11 over the road and stocked up daily on drinks etc...
You can get the most amazing fresh fish if you wander down the street....a shared platter for 2 is def worth it if you like your fish.The hotel Thai restaurant is very good but again the drinks spoil it as so expensive - but as a treat def worth a visit.
Staff always friendly. (again compared to the caribbean this made such a nice change!)
I think compared to Phuket and other Thai resorts we have visited Samui is still noticably poorer and the infrastructure just isnt there yet - not the easiest place to navigate with a pushchair but we saw lots of people with their children and pushchairs so cant have been too bad.
Not much in the way of "fancy" shopping and expect to barter lots - you can get pretty much fake everything.
Some nice bars and restaurants and you dont have to go to the nicest looking to get fab food at excellent value.
I have heard the spa is wonderful but we found that we were happy with the massages and treatments on offer at a fraction of the cost down the strip.
We would def go back again and again if we go back to Koh Samui..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly located along Chaweng, Koh Samui’s finest beach. Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui offers first class Thai hospitality. Enjoy the exceptional facilities of this award winning deluxe resort which combines the spirit and culture of the island with a tranquil ambiance and sheer beauty. A choice destination for lovers of water sports in particular and everyone in general. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Fastbooking, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand