“Great Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banana Fan Sea Resort

You added Banana Fan Sea Resort to your Saves list
Banana Fan Sea Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Moo 2 Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Chaweng
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed at Banana Fan Sea over Christmas. We arrived and were able to check into our deluxe bungalow at around 10am. The room was spacious and clean. Staying in a bungalow is great because it feels more homely and you can sit on the front verandah and have a few drinks.

The pool area was nice, we never had any trouble getting pool loungers. You also cannot get any closer to the beach. It was lovely.

The restaurant was really nice. The food was as good as anywhere else in Koh Samui so we ate there a few times. I really liked the omelette station at breakfast.

What gets this place such great reviews I believe is the staff and service. Every member of staff is friendly and there are always people enquiring whether you are enjoying your stay and whether there is anything they can do for you. The rooms were cleaned of a morning and then later in the evening they would come back whilst we were out and turn down the beds plus empty the bins again.

The location is on the main strip of Chaweng and very central however far enough away from the noise to have a very quiet night sleep. The tour desk arranged a car for us to travel around the island one day which was great and I highly recommend.

There are bigger fancier resorts in Koh Samui but I would happily return because the facilities are great and the service is the best I have encountered.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow instead of the rooms attached to reception. The pool or beach bungalows would be grea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I literally just got off the plane back home from Thailand and though I am never one to actually write reviews, (I mainly just read 'em!) I thought I'd better contribute my thoughts on this resort.

Despite my careful 2 months of research to chose the best resort on Chaweng Beach, for the best value, in the best location, I really felt the Banana Fan Sea fell a bit far short of our expectations. Many glowing reviews give it a high status among resorts on Chaweng, but I would definitely not place this resort in the top 5 - especially if you are like us and looking for a romantic getaway! In fact we found the resort to have a very 'family' vibe to it in terms of its organisation, decor and layout, and yet there are hardly any bungalows that could cater for anything but couples. Kinda strange.

Any professional pictures you see of the rooms are highly exaggerated with wide-angle-lens photographs. The rooms are very, very small. We arrived in Samui after coming from 5 nights in Chiang Mai where we and stayed in what seemed like a beautiful spacious Thai palace compared to the room at Banana Fan Sea. The Deluxe Room we booked was really no bigger than what we would pay for at a cheap motel in New Zealand for maybe $150NZD, and when you are paying more than three times the price you do expect something a little more spacious or at least a little more 'banana-fancy'. The bathroom was tremendously unremarkable, about the size of a shoebox and though clean and well equipped, it was dated and undecorated. Super-king bed was great apart from it being rock hard, even for us and we like a reasonably firm bed, so we ordered a 'topper' which really is just another duvet that doesn't do much but make it both lumpy and hard at the same time! We ended up improvising and sleeping on 2 duvets inners and using the duvet cover as a sheet.

That said, the place really does has some great features: the perfect location of course (not too far away from the action, but not too noisy either), the lovely staff who are curteous, smiley and polite. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Complimentary breakfast was extensive and adequate. Housekeeping was fantastic - they never missed a spot and there were always fresh flowers on the pillows at night. A very nice touch. :) Concierge was...okay. Lovely lady but we seemed to get more accurate information and details about activities from the people in the numerous travel stores down the main street.

I wanted to write this review because after reading so many rave reviews I felt rather disillusioned turning up to my room at Banana Fan Sea, and I don't want anyone else to be as disappointed as we were. For some reason, we thought this place would deliver the romantic bungalows-by-the-sea getaway we were after, and instead we found ourselves in a dim little motel room during the evening and fighting for sun loungers and room on the beach with about 100 or so other people during the day. If you can bear the slight tacky and unromantic atmosphere, and can afford anything better than a deluxe room such as a beachfront suite or pool-view bungalow, I think its definitely worth your time to stay. Other than that, if you are looking for something like us, more romantic, less people, better value for money...I'd probably pay just a little more and stay somewhere like the Buri Rasa. Our friends honeymooned there at the same time we were in Koh Samui and their room was incredible, and they were treated like absolute royalty for almost the same price as we paid! Spent the whole trip feeling very jealous of their peaceful, glowing little hideaway where all the staff knew their names and they got left gorgeous Thai presents on their beds every night (one nights gift was two hand painted bamboo umbrellas!).

All the best with your decision to stay at Banana Fan Sea. It may be right for you but unfortunately, its just not for us.

Room Tip: Get anything BETTER than a deluxe room if you can. Or if you like a more romantic secluded trip, sta...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Highly recommend, but don't want it turned into a "blackpool" resort...
Peace and quite located towards the end of the beach; individual beach huts, 10 second walk to the beach and sea.
Fab amenities over looking the sea...
The breakfast is to die for, the chef makes the best omlettes ever!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Just spent 8 relaxing days enjoying the peaceful serenity of the resort. The location is hard to surpass, with the beachside setting away from the night time music of beachside bars allowing for a quiet night's sleep. General Manager, Supit, and staff are attentive to their guest's needs and the smiles are genuine. Nothing is too much trouble. The friendly and obliging staff are a hugh plus leaving us in no doubt why this resort has so many guests returning. Surrounding shops and restaurants compliment the resort's Baitong restaurant which provided beautiful European/Thai dishes along with nightly entertainment. We found it perfect for couples and we are looking forward to experiencing the friendly charm the resort holds in 12 months time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I an uneasy recommending the banana sea because I don't want it to get too popular, as I always want to make sure the pool view bungalow is always free when I go to Samui. My first time there but 6th or 7th time in Samui and by far the best value for money I have come across. OK the breakfast was only 5/10, but completely made up for by the fact that you could sit on your balcony and be only twenty metres from the beach. The bungalows are perfect, remembering this is not a 5 star, staff are really friendly (be prepared for the usual misquoted food order etc, but hey who cares). Cannot fault it and I have now found my new Samui retreat, would not stay anywhere else. And all this right in the middle of Chaweng beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stayed at the Banana Fan Sea during November for 10 nights. This was our 6th time at this resort during the past 8 years. As usual we enjoyed every minute, even though the sea was a little rough at times due to the off shore storms. The location is one of the best on Chawaeng beach, with everything you need only a short walk away. The facility is very well maintained, breakfast great and service fantastic.
What really makes this resort great is the warm, friendly staff coupled with the new General Manager, Khun Supit, who makes you soo welcome.
We can't wait to return. !!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I recently got to stay at this hotel. I was very content. Perfect for a couple, family or simply a get-away by yourself. Staff members provide professional and helpful services you can expect in good American hotels. Their facility is nicely designed and well-maintained. You pay Euro-American holiday price on this resort island, but even with that, I think it's worth the price. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Banana Fan Sea Resort? Share your experiences!