“Excellent new hotel on Chaweng” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

You added Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui to your Saves list
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9/99 Moo 3, Chaweng Noi Beach, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Chaweng
Certificate of Excellence 2014
hong kong
“Excellent new hotel on Chaweng”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is my fifth time in Samui, started out a few years back with the Napasai, then the beautiful and stunning Banyan tree (my favorite in Samui), the W (had a lovely room with pool & direct beach access), six senses (was nice yet was the most disappointing Six Senses I've been to) & this time VanaBelle b

What I liked about VanaBelle:
- Excellent service from the front desk to the staff at the beach bar. My flight arrived 7:05 am into the completely stressless & petite Samui airport. Fifteen minutes later arrived at Vana Belle. Was hit immediately with the stunning seaviews. They had my room ready ( much appreciated) but I decided to upgrade to a deluxe with a seaview, which took 30 minutes but I did not mind waiting in the beautiful, relaxing lounge area, where the welcome drink was not a sugared up fruit juice, but a nice fresh young coconut.
- Boutique feel: I don't really like big busy hotels where it can feel like guests are fighting over the limited resouces, here whether at meals or at the beach, it was always an unhurried relaxed affair, an oasis despite being in busy Chaweng
- Room was nice with unobstructed seaview, and a plunge pool. The decor in the rooms were quite dull (compared to the W or Samui, though decor in the lounge and Kiree restaurant were quite nice),
Was only here for three days and was really tired from a stressful week of work and managed to catch up on much needed sleep here, though decor in common areas were very nice
- food:
Breakfast was a surprisingly full menu of various traditional and non traditional breakfast choices, including healthy entrees such as avocado salads.
Lunch at the beachside restaurant was a bit heavy on the salt/fish sauce side (though great service esp from Frank, at the beach bar) but the Vana Belle part of the beach was crowd free, a perfect picture of a beach paradise (and calm to swim in) & just a perfect place to curl up under a palm tree with a good book and a plate of food.
Dinner at night outside at the Kiree restaurant was very relaxing and good. I am very picky with the degree to which my food is cooked (or not) and it was delicious here. The seats outside had the seaview, the seats inside has a view of the chefs at work with their woks and proper stoves, it was a hard choice to make

Room for improvement:
I was in room 412, while I was napping I kept on hearing a noise that went on and off, at first thought it was the room next door being vacuumed or a super loud blowdryer. Then realized it was some kind of motor that went on every ten minutes in the false ceiling---- Even with the air con turned off.
I am not a light sleeper so I was able to deal with this. Still, it was a minor annoyance

• Stayed May 2013
GMVanaBelle, General Manager at Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear anilegna

Thank you for your review and for choosing Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort as your residence in Koh Samui.

We appreciate your very good comments about our resort. Our beach as you point out is quite peaceful and is one of the better beachfronts on the island. I do apologize for the noise you experienced in your room, we have already acted upon this and rectified the problem. We do strive to give all of our guests a very memorable experience and we are so pleased that yours was truly enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Mark O'Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The resort is superb with beautifully configured suites that allow for an exceptional in suite experience, wonderful views and a private viewing deck with a dedicated pool. The staff are all extremely hospitable and operate together as a perfectly coordinated team to make sure that your experience is tailored to suit your needs from the moment you arrive to the instant you depart. Do not hesitate to request help with any of your plans, whether it is getting around the island to celebrating a special occaision. They will able to help you execute flawlessly. You may feel like you're on your own island while being able to benefit from being close to the amenities of the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMVanaBelle, General Manager at Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear TheHomelessWan...

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your decision to recently stay with us at Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the experience of the resort, in particular you mention our staff, which all of our guests compliment us on. We will certainly pass on your good comments to the entire team.

It was a pleasure for us to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed in a 'deluxe pool suite' for six nights over Songkran. Transfer from airport to hotel only took about 20 minutes.

The hotel is set back from the main road, making for a tranquil and peaceful resort. The open lobby, with a view to the sea beyond, makes for the perfect beach holiday backdrop.

We had booked a 'classic pool suite' - as no deluxe pool suites were available at time of booking -hoping to upgrade on arrival. As luck would have it, a deluxe room was available, but not until 5pm.

In the meantime, the front office manager kindly let us relax in our originally booked room. The classic pool suite was lovely and spacious, with an outside double daybed next to the pool. Just one drawback, no view of the sea, which to be fair, we already knew this.

Come 5pm, we were taken to see the deluxe pool suite, same internal layout, but with a sea view. Outside, instead of a daybed, just a coffee table and one chair. As a couple, we were left wondering where the other person was supposed to sit when outside?! The daybed is a great feature, but were told only the corner rooms have them. The middle rooms have just a table and one chair.

Nevertheless, we took the upgrade as we wanted to see the sea, not the tops of trees. They obliging brought to us an extra chair. However, without a daybed, a couple of sunloungers would have been a great compromise.

Beds are super comfy, waking up to the sea view every morning was wonderful. Loved the big bath tub, from which I was even able to watch the tv from. Lovely turn-down service, especially after having been out for dinner.

Moving on, breakfast was great. Loads of choice: pastries, biscuits, cakes, cheeses, bread, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, hot food, cold meats and salad. And as a previous review mentioned, oysters, champagne and bloody marys. The a la carte menu is a carefully thought out selection of both Asian and Western dishes. The breakfast room/Kiree, is so relaxing, huge comfortable seats with spaced out tables and casual dining decor. The service staff are all so friendly and polite, and they always kept our water glasses full.

We ate lunch at Panali a couple of times. Again, the decor has been beautifully thought out and again, wonderfully relaxing.

The communal infinity pool is large, with a few sunloungers on a raised edge at the back of the pool. Several sunbeds in front of the pool, all with unobstructed views of the beach and sea.

The gym is more than adequate; treadmills, bike, cross-trainer, free weights and multigym. Plenty of bottled water, coffee and juice on tap.

The spa - I didn't use, so can't comment.

The staff are amongst the best that I have ever experienced. They all have good/excellent command of English, every one of them were fantastically courteous and friendly. The staff are one of Vana Belle's best assets.

If I had just one peeve, it would be guests having to pay an extortionate amount for the bottled 'Chang' water in the restaurant when they are complimentary for the rooms (replenished day and evening).

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, was sad to leave after getting into the holiday mode and would gladly recommend this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, check out the view from your room first.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMVanaBelle, General Manager at Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear chaifairy

Thanks so much for the review and for recently being our guests at Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort.

It looks like you enjoyed your vacation time with us, which we are indeed very pleased to hear. You mention many good things about our resort which we are thankful for, in particular you mention our excellent team of people who keep the resort running day and night, we will for sure pass on your comments to them. I do take note of all your comments including about the bottled water which we will certainly look into and consider, we appreciate this feedback.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Vana Belle at some time in the future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Really really nice, but needs to be as really really expensive. Right on Chaweng Noi beach which Is fantastic. Staff are of a high calibre as are the rooms with private pools. Lush tropical gardens, and feels secluded.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Dodlers

Thank you for the review and for recently being our guest at Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort.

First off, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found our resort to be very nice. Our staff are indeed superb and they are truly our greatest asset. Our location is as you say 'Fantastic', due to being so close to the Chaweng area and also being on one of the best beaches on Koh Samui. Our pricing is in line with all five star resorts in Koh Samui so am disappointed that you found it high.

I hope you will come back and visit us again. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here in April for 5 nights with my parents. This resort is top class and by far the best hotel i have ever stayed in. The location is perfect for exploring the island or if you prefer just relaxing by your private pool, it offers the best of both worlds really.

Breakfast is a highlight with a fantastic bakery/sweets section. We were wowed by the quality of all food. Try Kiree their Thai restaurant, you wont be dissappointed.

Service was really first class, the staff are amazing, always remembering our names. They all looked very happy to be working their.

All in all top marks to this resort.

• Stayed April 2013
GMVanaBelle, General Manager at Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear scientific69

Thank you for recently staying with us at Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort with your family and thanks also for posting this review.

We appreciate your good comments especially about our team, we are very proud of the ladies and gentlemen that make up the Vana Belle family. Your good comments about our restaurant Kiree and our breakfast will be passed on to all concerned especially to our excellent Pastry Chef who will be particular pleased with your comments about the bakery section at breakfast.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some time in the not too distant future and safe travels to you and your family.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My family and I have just stayed 7 nights at Vana Belle on a 4 week tour of Thailand and really only five words describe this resort, its facilities, the service and the people. Those five words are: EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT.

Now let me be more specific, this is the first tripadvisor review I have ever written however I felt the need and sense of duty to write after seeing the last review which rated this resort badly. I respect everyone's opinion however I seriously wonder if the reviewer who rated this resort badly has actually stayed at this resort or if they visitors from another timezone!! This resort is the best overall experience I and my family have ever had, and I stay and have stayed in many five star resorts and hotels. I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and a Hilton Honnors member.

What makes this resort the best I have ever stayed in? Well to begin with the resort is physically stunning, a wonderful forrest like feel throughout, small, intimate and very peaceful yet so close to the hustle and bustle of the Island's tourist capital 'Chaweng'. It feels like you are on a secluded island, an experience similar to Conrad Maldives (our favourite resort in Maldives), however once you go out of the resort you have typical Thai townships close by. The rooms (we stayed in a Grand Pool Suite and a Deluxe Pool Suite) are beautiful, slightly minimalist in style with amazing views of the sea and a bathtub overlooking the private pool. We loved the 'Creative Dining' Menu which is their interpretation of 'In Room Dining'. A huge selection of food and wine from all their restaurants. The bed is huge and so comfortable, you just sink into it after a relaxing day by your private pool and the sheets are pure luxury.

We ate in both of their main restaurants, Kiree, the Thai restaurant is wonderful with some incredible dishes like the Shrimp Cakes which were a hit with my family. Panlai their Italian restaurant was very nice with a wonderful ambiance and a guitar player on some nights. We used the Spa and even though its more expensive than other Spa's in Thailand it was well worth the money. Angie the Therapist was exceptional. If you want a luxury Spa experience then do not go to the many street spa's available everywhere, you wont get an experience like this.

The biggest and best attribute of this resort is undoubtedly the staff. What a wonderful bunch of people doing an incredible job in a resort that is only open a few months. Everywhere we went they remembered our names and our preferences which for me blew me away, I did not expect this, and being a frequent visitor to many of London's top hotels Vana Belle appears to be doing this better. On arrival we were greeting personally by the General Manager Mark who made a point of personally checking on us a number of times during our stay. The Front Office Manager, Takiab, went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable by sending little treats at various points over the 7 nights we were there. Others who deserve a particular mention are Aaron, the very personable Irish Chef, who made a point of speaking with every guest at breakfast, Joy, Jicky, Rose at breakfast were a pleasure, Fai in the Lobby Lounge, Doi at the Concierge desk, our Room Attendant Aom. I could go on and on.

Well done Vana belle for being a credit to the hospitality industry and delivering an exceptional experience to my family and I. I will recommend this resort to all of my friends when I get back to London.

Thank you all at Vana belle for making this holiday so special.

Room Tip: Grand Pool Suites have excellent views and a wonderful bathtub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Charles R

Thank you for your EXCELLENT review and for staying with us at Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort.

Your review is very high praise and all the team appreciate greatly your good comments. We will pass on your remarks to all those people you have mentioned in this review, they will certainly be pleased that you had such a wonderful stay. Experience is important for us and we continuously strive to offer the best experience possible.

We look forward to welcoming either you or your friends back to the resort hopefully many times in the future.

Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I normally do not leave any reviews, especially while I am still in the hotel, however this time I felt the urge to express myself.

Having stayed at the W KS (WOW Jungle Oasis) and Conrad KS (1BR Ocean View Retreat Pool Villa) couple nights before the Vana Belle on this trip I am shocked at how simply this resort is built.

There is absolutely no attention to details and no value for money. The overall feel is that this resort has been built on a tight budget. I understand that some people are "overwhelmed" by its beauty, but please believe me, it's probably because you are on Koh Samui the first time. The island is wowing you,not this resort.

Please allow me to list some of my concerns, the employees are friendly, no doubt, it's the hardware that bothers me greatly and what is being charged for it.

The Grand Pool Villa looks like a Sheraton from the inside. NO decoration, NO Fruits, NO Flowers and Cheap Amenities (the same you get in a Westin or Sheraton) and CHANG WATER? As a matter of fact this is the only resort I have been to on this island in the last 3 years that does not give you a welcome drink, nor fruits, nor attention. There is nothing in this room that is lively. Cheap fans and decoration (if any), wood is not real wood and a naked TV hanging on the wall only connected to a DVD player; that is NOT entertainment.

The bathroom and toilet IS big, but size doesn't matter here. The cheapest toilet and vanities were built, reminding me of an Elements by Westin or aLoft by W.

As a SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond and Marriott Gold Member please let me tell you that this is not worth the Euro 500 you will spend a night. The Conrad or even the W will rock your socks off with extreme private REAL Villas having larger beds, pools and tubs with a lot more sophisticated equipments. The Vana Belle ROOMS, yes rooms, are all in a shared block building resembling a dorm, you hear and see other guests continuously.

I could go on and on about how this resort doesn't have this and that but well,it is for you to decide.

And BTW, room service prices here are NYC and Paris high. So you better come with full stomach. It's not about the money. It's just I don't get anything in return.

Apologies on being so harsh. I just feel like I have been robbed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMVanaBelle, General Manager at Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Sebastian L

Thank you for your review and for your recent stay at our resort.

I must say from the outset that I am extremely dissappointed with your comments and somewhat surprised at your opinions expressed in your review. I deeply regret and apologize for not completely meeting your expectations however your concerns it would appear do not include the service we provide.

Our resort I can assure you and other readers was not built on a tight budget, in fact the investment was quite considerable. I will have to respectfully disagree with you on your point that our in room amenities are cheap, we have provided high end amenities in all of our Suites and Villa's so I dont quite understand your point on this. You mention two other resorts on Koh Samui, both very fine properties, however in both you stayed in a Villa, with us you did not book a villa but instead opted for a Grand Pool Suite. I dont think your comparing like for like, the next time if you would like to come back and stay with us, which I genuinely hope you will, then I would suggest you reserve a Villa if this is the kind of stay experience you are looking for.

Sebastian L, I regret very much that you appear not to have enjoyed your stay, however, I would like to point out in the interests of fairness that you stayed only one night, and that your complaint appears to be more related to the physical aspects of the resort which if I may is quite subjective. You will see if you read other reviews that our guests are overwhelmingly happy and satisfied with the experience we are providing.

Thank you for your good comments about our Vana Belle team who truly do a wonderful job.

If you would like to discuss this further then I would be happy to speak with you in person or if you would like to come back and stay in one of our Tropical Pool Villas then please let me know as I would be pleased to demonstrate to you exactly what this resort does best.

Mark O'Sullivan

Been to Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui? Share your experiences!