“Great fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pai Cookery Class

Pai Cookery Class
149/1 Moo 3, Soi Thong Kaew, Oposite The Super Pro Resort and Apartment, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui, Thailand
+66 86 952 3672
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 23 Activities in Chaweng
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
Sydney, Australia
“Great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was lucky to be the only person in the class and got a personal one on one cooking lesson. Pai was a great teacher. Her English is good and she is a very warm and welcoming person. I did the Red menu which involved making the Red curry paste from scratch and then cooking 3 dishes.
The venue is not easy to find but I rang Pai and she met me opposite her street at the Family Mart and took me to the place. The venue has a family home feel but is well equipped.

I did all the prep from scratch and all the cooking. The steps were easy to follow and Pai gave me little tips on how to do some things better. Pai is not a chef but a great family cook and all the recipes you get are her mum's family recipes so you are getting a lesson in authentic Thai home cooking. All the dishes I cooked tasted so good, I ate a lot more than I should have.

The classes are limited to a max of 4 people. If you have a group of 4 friends to do it and you want to learn something different to what is on the Web site, Pai actually has about 300 recipes so it is likely that you will be able to do 3 dishes that you want to learn. She can even teach you how to do sweets.

All in all a wonderful experience and a great way to spend a few hours. I wish I had more time to do another class. Next time. Thank you Pai.

Igor

Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely teacher leading in-home cooking class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I spent the morning doing a cooking class with Pai and we loved it! We each did a different course so learnt a variety of different dishes - all of which were delicious and fairly easy to make. Pai is a wonderful teacher. She has fantastic English skills and shows you how to make the dish whilst still allowing you to do it yourself. She also provides you with a recipe book so that you can make the dishes at home too. Pai's house can be a bit tricky to find but it is well worth it and the cost is very reasonable. We would highly recommend this class to anyone travelling in Koh Samui. Thank you for a wonderful experience Pai!

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Truly amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We booked this online from the UK. Pai was very good at replying with information. We eventually found the venue (the difficulty was it was near the hospital in Chaweng, up a side street, and not signposted from the road) Pai was walking down the road to meet us. She is the most welcoming, encouraging and helpful person. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Everything was set out ready for us to start cooking.The place was spotless. There were four of us and two did the Green Curry and two the Massaman. One of our party is coeliac and this was no problem for Pai. It took about 1.5hrs to prep from scratch and cook and Pai explained and watched every step. Once cooking was finished we sat down to eat and we were surprised at how good it tasted. We would highly recommend this cooking course to anyone if you want to learn how to cook Thai food.

Seattle, Washington
“Great fun, amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Like many who have reviewed Pai, my wife and I attended one of her cooking classes while on Koh Samui for our honeymoon. We found her through Trip Advisor and decided that we couldn't go wrong with all of the great reviews, and we weren't disappointed.

For the class, we each chose different options -- her, panang curry, and yellow for me -- and arrived to find all of the ingredients separated and ready for our preparation. Pai then walked us through preparing all of the raw ingredients for the curries, spring rolls, and other dishes such as chicken in oyster sauce and fried rice. Pai was an excellent teacher, very patient, and walked us through each of the steps while giving us great tips to bring home. We then headed out to her outdoor kitchen for wok preparation of all of the dishes. After everything was done she left us to enjoy our spread (while she cleaned up the kitchen). We finishing everything we cooked which was plenty of food for two people. We were barely hungry for dinner and we attended the 11:30 AM class. The entire experience was amazing!

We had a mix-up with our hotel shuttle and accidentally arrived about 30 minutes early (we budgeted extra time to find her but the driver was very familiar with the Superpro Muay Thai training camp and the cookery is right next door) but Pai was so accommodating and understanding. We killed a few minutes at the Family Mart down on the main road (about a 3 minute walk) and then she asked if we wanted to start our class early. After we were done we had yet another issue with our hotel shuttle and he was about 20 minutes late. Again, Pai was extremely accommodating and actually walked us down to the Muay Thai camp to give us a quick walk around and tour. She also went out of her way to answer all our questions about visiting Koh Samui. She truly made it more memorable than just another cooking class.

What an excellent find and a great way to end the honeymoon! We would recommend anyone interested in a fun afternoon of learning to cook Thai food, abandon the resort classes and seek out Pai's Cookery.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely lady, wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We went to Pai's cooking class during our honeymoon this month. We had a great time and she explained the dishes realy well. Her English is excellent and she is so friendly. The recipes were easy to follow and the food tasted great. I hope that we manage to make them so well at home with our recipe books.
We got a taxi to the class and our driver rang Pai on the way to check exactly where it was but it wasn't difficult to find. Afterwards we were able to walk back to the main road in chaweng within around 10 minutes.
Highly recommended for a personal cooking class to give you a taste of thailand to bring home with you.