We stayed at the Baan Haad Ngam in early June 2008 and it was just what we were looking for in a hotel. We thought it was worth what we paid for the quality and the peace and quiet.
If you are after a small hotel away from all the noise of the central part of Chaweng Beach with friendly staff (especially in the restaurant and around the pool), a superb restaurant, lovely clean rooms in traditional Thai style and a gorgeous pool where everyone gets a lounger, this is the place for you.
The property is stepped with a water feature running through the middle and is therefore not suitable for children – just what my husband and I wanted.
There are two points of contention with the Baad on Trip Advisor. Firstly, the beach. The sand is squishy and some people on here say they were disappointed with this. It didn’t bother us. Chaweng Beach is very shallow and not great for swimming or snorkelling so you tend to swim in your hotel pool anyway.
Everyone dreams of lying on the sand relaxing on their lounger in Samui. You can’t do this because of the beach merchants. The infinity pool at the Baad overlooks the beach but is high up above a stone wall where the merchants can’t reach you. We both said we would have been disappointed to stay somewhere like the Amari thinking we would be on the beach all day, only to be constantly harassed to buy jewellery, clothes, massages etc.
The second point of contention is the location. For us, it was perfect. The beach bars are loud and go all night and skyrockets sold by merchants are constanly let off - they are REALLY loud! We were happy we were able to walk along the beach for dinner and to the bars (about 20 minutes to the main part of town) then return to our quiet, secluded hotel to sleep. Alternatively, it is only about $3 AUD taxi ride to town and the hotel offers a free shuttle at set times of the day.
Watch the incoming tide when you walk back along the beach. It is quite high at the steps. We cut through the adjacent resort and took a right into the side street next to the Baad.
The restaurant - Olivio - is great with a Thai and Italian menu and an Italian chef. Much better quality food than many places downtown and worth the money. We paid between $6 -$10 AUD for lunch by the pool each day. The cocktail happy hour is great – about $4 AUD for cocktails with premium spirits.
Someone on here commented on “the smell”. It’s the tropics for God’s sake! The rain and humidity are what give Thailand its lush surroundings and the damp, musty smell is part of that. You particularly notice it in bathrooms in many places in Asia. It’s not because they’re dirty – and the Baan Haad Ngam was spotless. Don’t blow out the tealight candle in your room, it’s for the mosquitoes, and drop the mozzie net around your (massive) bed at night.
If you’re looking for a larger, more central resort and have a bigger budget, my choice would be the Muang Samui. We went there for dinner (about $60 AUD for entrees, mains and a bottle of wine) and it was superb. We had a look around and the resort was gorgeous – traditional Thai style. Would make a great honeymoon resort.
- Also Known As:
- Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Hotel Chaweng
- Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Hotel
- Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Resort & Spa Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Combining the finest traditions of Thai architecture with modern European conveniences Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Resort & Spa is the ideal place to escape from it all. Fifty one luxuriously appointed rooms and villas, each with its own Jacuzzi for two have been designed to meet your every need and to allow you to rest and rejuvenate in a tranquil and naturally beautiful setting. From our Award Winning Italian and International restaurant, Olivio Italian cuisine, featuring the finest cuisine along our unspoiled beach to our signature Satira Herbal Spa offering the latest in all-natural therapeutic treatments, your every need will be catered to in legendary Thai style.Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Resort & Spa, a simply unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.