“Great potential if they get the right employees” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Samui Verticolor

You added Samui Verticolor to your Saves list
Samui Verticolor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19/16 Moo 3, Haad Ngam Rd, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand (Formerly The Verti Color Chaweng)   |
Ranked #51 of 101 Hotels in Chaweng
New York City, New York
“Great potential if they get the right employees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed in two different occasions. The place is really good. Nice and big rooms. Clean and modern. The pool is big and always clean. I do agree with some of the reviews about the noise levels. Some of the other guests were quite rude and you could hear them screaming and running down the corridors. However, that didn't bother me too much. The internet is not free, something that many hotels do and I find really annoying. The receptionists either didn't understand English very well or just didn't care. When a request was made, it took several attempts and some nasty looks to get things done. They were really not helpful. I almost missed my flight because they messed up my taxi reservation (by that I mean, they never really booked it, although I was assured it was all set). So at the last minute, I ended up scrambling around and solving the taxi issue on my own. I think the actual hotel is really good, if they invest in a couple of customer service oriented employees that can speak at least a reasonable amount of English they'll be around for a long time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Khao Lak, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for 3 nights in February. My partner was here for business as she works for a chain of mini marts. After much deliberation we decided upon this hotel based on location, price, amenities and service offered. I might add that I myself am in the hotel business and before posting this review had written to this hotel about my issues. Of course there response was just drivel and certainly not replied to by the person it was addressed too, The General Manager.

We arrived at reception where we greeted by what was the guts of 15 people who looked like they were trying to check in. (this was not the case I later discovered), after about 10 minutes waiting we were finally looked after. Check in was efficient but not friendly. We asked for a second card for our room, and we're told we couldn't have one as we must return the key to reception each time we left the hotel. (this by the way was the reason there was 15 people cued up at reception when we arrived, they were all trying to get keys for there rooms, absolutely ridiculous idea and procedure especially when there was only 1 receptionist on duty). Anyhow we were given directions to our room which were terrible, go to second floor turn left. That was it! She forgot to mention go to the end of corridor, scale 2 flights of stairs and you are there. It seems absurd to me that a hotel of this size has 2 elevators only servicing one building.

My complaints however really begin here. On your website it describes each room as having certain amenities such as minibar ( empty fridge in room is not a minibar), 24 hour room service ( a note left in the room saying "unfortunately, the race between food, no room service meals", what does that mean ? I'm Irish so my English is fairly good! But I have no idea what it means! Finally wifi! Yes it's available but at an additional cost which is ridiculous in this day and age, and certainly not mentioned upon booking I might add.

We hired a motorbike on the Saturday from the hotel. the politest I will be is by saying it went and just about. It constantly cut out and at one point we were driving down a hill and it cut out. Seriously this is a death trap. I might add that the gentlemen at the front who is in charge of the bikes needs a lesson in customer service and politeness. It's something he has no idea about. His attitude was appalling. We returned that afternoon approx 4.30pm to our room and discovered it hadn't even been cleaned. We had to ask for it to be done.

Finally a more disturbing note. We returned Saturday evening about 10.30pm from dinner. As we were entering the hotel and just about to get into the elevator a man(presumably) security shouted something at my fiancée, She is Thai I might add, when I asked her what he said she told me he wanted to know was she staying here and when she replied yes he wanted to know what room number. My fiancée was completely embarrassed as she knew what his insinuation was (that she was some kind of bar girl) , i too also knew what he was insinuating This is completely unacceptable behaviour from anyone and honestly he was lucky all i did was write to the hotel.

I concur with what a lot of people have also said about the site.....too much noise, yobs roaming the place and no one in control. The noise at night time was horrendous with people running and screaming up an down the corridor. The same for the pool, completely taken over by drunks al day long.

I wrote to the hotel about all these issues and the response i received was just a statement of excuses. Clearly 2 months later the same problems persist.

Of course I have noticed that the GM hasnt done the correct thing and taken to TripAdvisor and apologised to people for the poor service that his hotel provided. Hiding in the office i presume.

This place should be avoided like the plague. There are plenty of other hotel on Samui well worth paying money for, this however is not one of them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights booked through booking .com saved myself a bomb as the hotel price was much more even on there website claiming you could save , rooms were serviced every day bottles of drinking water provided staff were friendly and helpful , I really couldn't fault the cleanliness and pleasant manner in which I was treated , clean convenient for the bars , restaurants and 5 mins from the beach , 1 downer no kettle in room but I can suffer that ;)

• Stayed February 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Absolutely awful, we had to cut our stay here short due to ridiculous amounts of noise. The walls are paper thin and all you can here is shouting screaming and music. You can hear everything from the echoy corridors. Constant noise 24/7 if not from the drunk guests its from the building site next door. It may be cheap but at the expense of a good night's sleep!!! The breakfast was also disgusting, was cold and covered in flies!!! The reception staff were also unfriendly and rude. The hotel was also unfinished in places

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
porthmadog north wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Found this place on trip advisor,great value for money opposite the Centara Grand Hotel which everyone knows.
Modern bedrooms and bathrooms made this stay a real pleasure.Huge swimming pool with great value for money snacks and drinks that they serve with a smile.Location is very good too...just a short walk to the beach.
My only moan would be, first impressions say a lot....and although nothing to do with the hotel itself,the alley that leads from the main road to the Hotel was a disgrace for the 10 days we stayed there with piles of bin bags and rubbish all over the place,it would pay the hotel to sort it out in my opinion.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to you

Room Tip: find the walkabout Ozzy bar around the corner for relay cheap beers and food and a couple of real ch...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thalang District, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

3 nights with Samui Verti Color good Value for Money, great location, excellent Pool, friendly staff. Stayed here for the 1st time and probably will return back again.

Room Tip: Deluxe Studio are large and clean
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I booked to stay here with my 21 year old daughter for 9 nights, we stayed for two! The hotel is new, but still under construction, so is noisy in the daytime and the rooms are unfinished in places. The shower in the rooms are good, and beds are comfy, this was the only positive for us.

The hotel was like a club 18-30, people going to the resort and buying alcohol and bringing it back to the hotel to drink until 4-5am. The noise was horrendous, banging doors, music, dancing and singing in the corridors, we could not sleep. We did complain to reception but they had no control of the situation what so ever. We then tried to sleep in the daytime but the noise of the building site next door was so bad it kept us awake. The pool is taken over by the young people, dive bombing and splashing, getting drunk all day.

The breakfast was cold and covered in flies on the two mornings that we stayed. We checked out and as we were doing this another couple checked out before their time, also for the same reasons, poor service, poor quality food and the noise. I spoke with the manager and he offered me an upgrade but the problems were still the same on the other side of the hotel, so we negotiated a refund of 5 nights even though I had paid for another 7 nights. However, I am still waiting for my money. This is a reflection of the service and attitude of the staff. I believe it is part of a chain so the staff have no investment and are not bothered about the comfort or service to the guests. We stayed in 6 hotels/gust houses during this trip to Thailand and this was the only one that was not family run and was the only one that we were not happy with.

This is a very honest review, I am not inclined to complain for the sake of it or if somewhere does not serve orange juice for breakfast or some other petty reason. I know you get what you pay for and the rates here are reasonable but I do expect to be able to sleep and have edible food, not a lot to ask for.

We moved to Lamai beach after our experience here as Chaweng is very much like the Benidorm of Koh Samui, and I think a lot of the hotels cater for the younger crowd.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Samui Verticolor? Share your experiences!