“So handy!” 4 of 5 stars

168/37 Moo 2, Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #49 of 62 Chaweng B&B and Inns
“So handy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

For young travellers who want a great located hotel and a good standard of rooms, this is where you need to stay! As a traveller, I have paid for and stayed in some pretty awful places. It's place made me feel as if I was on holiday. A table and chairs in our room was brilliant along with a fridge and storage area for our clothes. The bathroom was fine, trust me I've been in a lot worse. Shower was good pressure and enough room to wash. Bed was a little soft but ive travelled all over Vietnam in a sleeper bus so an form of bed is bliss for me! All nice and clean, no problems with the room, maybe a full length mirror could be good? But not a problem at all :)
Granted, you wouldn't want to stay here unless you like to party, I stayed here over New Years and it was excellent. Right next to all the clubs so we could roll in and out when ever we wanted.
The music is loud yes, but nothing headphones or another drink can't help!
The owners were also lovely :) helpful and cheery. The thai people who worked there were also lovely and smiley which does make a difference!
Great place for party go'ers or just generally fun people!

Room Tip: Book in advance!! That's what saved us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
tuulakohsamui, Owner at Moby Dick Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you ever so much for such a nice review. It makes me happy that some people take their time to write nice things about our guesthouse. We are located in the noisy night time entertainment area and we can't change that. But this is the right place if you want to party!! Thank you very much!! I wish you all the best where ever you are now!! Tuula Fitzpatrick and my staff

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'm a 27 year old single male, I go to Thailand with the boys to take a much needed break from the stresses of work and let my hair down. I like to excessively drink, I like to party until the sun comes up and most days I'm getting out of bed as the sun is going down.. If that sounds like you then look no further than the moby dick! It's smack bang on soi green mango so in the heart of chawengs action and next to one of the biggest clubs on the island. Music is banging until at least 6am so don't think you're getting a good nights sleep unless you've passed out drunk or you're leaving the club as it closes!

As for the hotel itself, I'd say cheap and cheerful.. Don't expect the ritz but its clean and comfortable, air con, fridge, warm water and satellite tv for around 600bhat a night, bargain! A tip, if the rooms at the very top floor are free ask for these, they're bigger and there's a massive balcony area good for chilling out on!

The staff are absolutely amazing, from the owners right through to the cleaners.. So welcoming and accommodating and a good laugh. The bar area is well stocked and serves food and once you're friendly with them you can put your own music on the sound system and turn the place into your own little rave! They even put on a 21st birthday party for a mate of mines with balloons, cake, BBQ and curries.. Was a memorable night we won't forget (although it was pretty hazy!!)

I have stayed here 4 times now and can't wait to go back when I'm back in Thailand in February!

Thoroughly recommended!

James
England

• Stayed February 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My son booked into the Moby Dick for 3 nights, on entering the room it was disgusting, beds looked like they had just been slept in dirty towels on floor etc. He was only out of his room the first night for a couple of hours when he returned is room had been broken into and his money,wallet and driving licence was stolen, he went down to report it to the owners and all they could say were sorry. i would not reccomend this guest house and don't let the pictures on the web site fool you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chaiyaphum, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The rooms were unclean, the beds uncomfortable and the bathroom stank. There is no lift, so you have to carry your suitcases up lots of stairs. Don't be tempted by the price, because in the long run you will lose out. Surrounded by at least 5 bars there is nonstop club music until 6am. Our room was NEVER cleaned despite several requests.
Lastly, do NOT under ANY circumstance, no matter how desperate you are, book your travel from here. We were sent on a stressful journey that took us on taxis, tuk tuks, boats and buses back to Bangkok. When we got there, however, we found out our group had £600 cash, £200 in travellers' cheques, a passport, a digital camera and an ipad stolen while on the bus.
AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: Don't book here! You'd be better off paying 50 baht more for somewhere away from the noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
I am very sad to get so bad review from our guesthouse. Since May 2012 things have changed. We have renovated all our rooms (November 2012) and they are lovely and clean, freshly painted, new mattresses and pillows, bedding and towels, new air-condition units and bathrooms are fixed and scrubbed. We are one of the cheapest places to stay in the central Chaweng with a short walking distance to everywhere. Unfortunately we are located in the heart of the night time entertainment area called Green Mango so its noisy. There is several bars and nightclubs around us. We are about 10 minutes walk away from the beach.
I am very sorry that you got robbed in the bus on the way to Bangkok. I will never book tickets from this bus company again. As a tip to everyone who is travelling in bus I would recommend you always to have a small bag with you to carry your valuables close to you and never but anything valuable in to your suitcases (even if you have lock on it).
If i remember right we did book you tickets to go Fullmoon party in Koh Phangan and that worked out ok.
I am very sorry you had so bad time in our guesthouse. All the best, Tuula and staff from Moby Dick Guesthouse
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our first impression of this room was somewhat disappointing. The tv was faulty, the fridge had ants living in it, the electrical sockets hung of the wall, the bathroom door wouldn't close or lock properly, and then we found a used condom wrapper on the floor. A quick check under the bed revealed that the method of cleaning is just to sweep everything under there. The sheets and towels were stained, though we think washed!

Then at night it turns out you're next door to the latest opening, loudest club in town, and the sound insulation is poor, so even earplugs probably wont do the trick.

Believe it or not, you can kind of live with all this, and if you're in Chaweng to party, and want cheap accomodation, this place would do the trick. Otherwise, its a no go.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ok rooms at decent rates which cater for the backpacker on a budget. However, the noise at night is loud! We both had ear plugs and could still hear the bass thumping through our ears!

Would also add that we went for a air con room (600 baht), as these rooms were on the floor above the pub and had access to the WiFi router (positioned in the bar), I would not recommend doing this - the WiFi is the worst I have ever used - off more times than it's on and when it did work it was slow!

In summary, good place to stay if you want no frills place, perfect if you plan on going out at night and sleep in the day! Hotel is located nearby all local bars and clubs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

My freind had stayed at this hotel for five times previous years and always adviced it. It is not the ritz but it has everything you want from in thailand, aircondiditoing and chang when ever you want it plus food. The staff are amazing the bar girls are amazing. If you want to sleep at night dont stay here as there a night club next door and music gets played untill early hours of the morning. But I had a blast there. I had my 21st Birthday there and they threw me a party and it was superb, everybody had a great time! definitely stay here if you want a party thai exsperience!!

Room Tip: There is rooms on top floor which i advice to take they are a bit more exspensive but worht it
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Moby Dick Guesthouse? Share your experiences!