“Go elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Being a bit Thaid-out we decided Via Vai looked a likely spot - they had a pizza oven right there along-side the street after all. We both agreed - it was a mistake and an expensive one at that. The food did not fit the description on the menu - we started with the Prawn and Calamari starter - but only Calamari was on the plate...when it arrived. The pizza was good but totally diminished by our experience of the dessert. DONT - I repeat DONT - order the Cannoli - it was truly awful. Should have known the pastry would be out of a packet (but did not think it would have been out of date! - it was stale). And what ever that filling was it was not a recognizable food source. The service was below average - one waitress who made a big show of being "very busy" and one with little thought or understanding...having asked to see the menu twice, (so we could make the fatal mistake of ordering the Cannoli) we ended up getting the bill (it was the universe telling me not to order the Cannoli - but sadly I did not listen). When the bill came they had overcharged us for dessert (more irony). They rectified this quite quickly with an apology from the Boss. The Boss (the younger one) badly needed a change of shirt - I know it was hot but there is little or no excuse for looking that shabby and being front of house...Go elsewhere for Italian - there is some extremely good to be had!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Pizzas lovers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Pizzas are still great as our 1st visit 8 years ago, restaurant has changed location. Staff are too much on top of Clients and you can feel atmosphere is not great with boss beeing around.

Visited April 2014
Grantham, New Hampshire
“Pizza, Pizza, Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My go-to place when I am "Thaid-out" and want a pie! A bit pricy, never a disappointment! BUT, remember that you are in Thailand, and authentic ingredients may not be available! If you don't like canned black olives, avoid any dish that relies on olives for its essence.

Similarly, I have eaten in many "Italian" restaurants in Thailand over 25 years, from $$$$ Bangkok to here on Samui, and you just can't get the real thing, in my experience. So I have never tried anything here but the pies and salads.

But if you hunger for a great pie with a crispy thin crust, baked in a forno, this is your place.

Complain't about Thai staff . . . You expected Venetian gondoliers? Come on!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Karratha, Australia
“Great food, but lacking friendly service and smiles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

The pizza and pasta was very enjoyable and great value for money, we thoroughly enjoyed it, however service was terrible, we were not welcomed into the restaurant, and the staff seemed more interested in laughing and joking amongst themselves than wanting to serve us. One waitress in particular did not say a word to us as she was taking our orders or money, and just nodded. If language is a barrier then I recommend to the owner such people not be employed in a restaurant where people skills and English is required .
It's a shame, but we will not return here due to the lack of service and friendliness that we have experienced in other chaweng restaurants.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Moscow, Russia
“Italian cuisine's mirage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This caffe pretend to be an Italian restaurant...
so will see..
We have taken two pizza: margarita and prochutto e fungi, spaghetti carbonara, lasagna, 1/2 liter carafe of white wine and our special order for the chef was a penne with a butter for the daughter.

So, I was disappointed with the meal- pizza was too thick, prochutto was common tinned ham. Nothing special, but eatable))
Regarding carbonara and penne ... It was just common overdone pasta. Lasagna from my wife's words was even worse. She has epigasrtic burning till late evening... I still cannot understand how it would be possible to spoil macaroni???... I had payed in total 2200bath. It does not value for money.
By the way do not order the house wine it was terrible
We were sitting on the terrace and Wi-Fi was very poor. When you are finish you should whistle to waiter to take plates away

I would not recommend ..